Start/Stop Technology

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
Start/Stop Technology

Hi All,
This is the first car I've owned with the start/stop tech and I feel that this may shorten the life of the starter but also (unless there is a secondary oil pump that is continuously on during the engine off sequence at a stop light) may increase engine wear due to oil settling when off. Am I missing something or is the starter different than a traditional starter and what about extra engine wear? I'd really like to hear from you all as to your thoughts and/or expertise on this subject.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 514 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I hate this feature. Some say it does not put extra wear on the starter, I really doubt this claim.

I simply engage the sport mode every single time I start my car and forget this nonsense.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
Originally Posted by stratman
Hi All,
This is the first car I've owned with the start/stop tech and I feel that this may shorten the life of the starter but also (unless there is a secondary oil pump that is continuously on during the engine off sequence at a stop light) may increase engine wear due to oil settling when off. Am I missing something or is the starter different than a traditional starter and what about extra engine wear? I'd really like to hear from you all as to your thoughts and/or expertise on this subject.
There is definitely more wear and tear on a few components with this setup but it shouldn't impact the vehicle in the short term at least.
It's a fuel efficiency issue afaik, so they have to do it unfortunately.
Too bad there isn't an easy way to disable permanently.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Doesn't it just stop the engine pre-detonation on some cylinders? Then the restart is just detonating the compressed cylinders combined with some drivetrain trickery? I was under the assumption that's why it doesn't stay "off" indefinitely at a long light or stop, because eventually just igniting the compressed cylinder won't work. But I could be completely wrong. I just know most systems don't use the main starter.

Last edited by Carac; 08-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
I don’t think it’ll add extra wear on components because most newer cars has this. This is where your factory bumper to bumper comes into play if something does go wrong.

There is aftermarket module you can add to bypass this if that is something you want or just start in sports mode like others have mentioned.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
You are clearly adding more wear to the starter.

If the engine has been running the last thing you want to do is shut it down at a red light.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Hi All,
Yes, the starters for Eco start stop systems are different and designed for the additional start cycles so there shouldn't be a concern there. Also, the engines use a crank hall sensor that can tell the computer which cylinder is in the best position to start the engine quickly and smoothly. Extra fuel is added to that cylinder to help quicken the restart. In terms of wear due to oil settling, maybe if it sat for an hour or more but its literally only minutes or less and the engine will only activate start stop when it's up to operating temp. So there is no additional wear in this regard. Basically, any additional wear is accounted for and designed accordingly. Having said all that, I shut Eco Start Stop off every time I start my car because I find it annoying.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (08-17-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by BC-2
Yes, the starters for Eco start stop systems are different and designed for the additional start cycles so there shouldn't be a concern there. Also, the engines use a crank hall sensor that can tell the computer which cylinder is in the best position to start the engine quickly and smoothly. Extra fuel is added to that cylinder to help quicken the restart. In terms of wear due to oil settling, maybe if it sat for an hour or more but its literally only minutes or less and the engine will only activate start stop when it's up to operating temp. So there is no additional wear in this regard. Basically, any additional wear is accounted for and designed accordingly. Having said all that, I shut Eco Start Stop off every time I start my car because I find it annoying.
What about oil flow to turbos and other key bearings?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by V70cat
What about oil flow to turbos and other key bearings?
The lubrication system for the turbos keeps running for several minutes after the engine is shut off to avoid heat soak and frying the bearings. This is why you can hear fans and such continuing to run in our E63's after we shut off the engine and walk away. Same thing happens when Eco Start Stop is functioning. There's really nothing to worry about with Eco Start Stop. Annoying, yes. Wear, no.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (08-17-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I would like to think that Mercedes put at least a little thought into what happens to a motor when it is shut off when hot (or cold) and frequently restarted.

I haven't had any qualms about using the feature on my car. When I picked it up in Germany and started off on our vacation the first time it turned off was a bit of a surprise. For the first day or two we turned off the feature, but after a bit got used to it. Now I leave it on when in comfort mode in town.

With the car averaging about 12.5 MPG on my short drive to work saving a bit of fuel here and there is fine with me.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Just disable it permanently for $140 and be done with it. Works like a charm and you can always turn it on with a press of a button.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-ECO-...from=R40&rt=nc
Old 08-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
Even the car manual indicates that the start-stop feature adds extra wear to certain components. I wouldn’t use it because I think it’s a useless feature. It saves you $1 in gas per week maybe, at the expense of extra wear on your ignition components. How is that a great deal for us, the customers?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 LR Disco HSE LUX, 2019 E63S, 2019 Sierra AT4
Originally Posted by tirzaman
Even the car manual indicates that the start-stop feature adds extra wear to certain components. I wouldn’t use it because I think it’s a useless feature. It saves you $1 in gas per week maybe, at the expense of extra wear on your ignition components. How is that a great deal for us, the customers?
It’s all to meet the mandated MPG Programs. It is based on that one sole stat. Doesn’t matter how much you spend on starters or batteries, only fuel. I’m positive the overhead of these systems are more than the fuel saved.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi R8
Is this start/stop and cylinder deactivation the reason E63S is able to get away with no gas guzzler tax whereas the M5 has one?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW 5 Series, Buick Enclave
Originally Posted by tirzaman
Even the car manual indicates that the start-stop feature adds extra wear to certain components...
Really? Can you quote the information that you are referring to from the manual? I have read and reread the ECO start/stop section in the MY18 E Class Sedan Operators manual and haven't seen any such assertions. What am I missing?
-SCR
Old 08-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
2018 E63 wagon, 2020 G63, 2018 GT3 Touring, 1996 C4S
I plan to disable it. Thanks for the link. Was gonna get it done by a pro...but is it easy to install?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
I reread the supplemental manual for the wagon and found that by pressing the button on the console ("A") this will disable the start/stop feature as well as the cylinder deactivation and glide mode functions while driving in "C" mode. Problem is that every time the ignition is shut off and restarted in "C" mode these features are automatically reactivated and the button has to be pressed again. So I'll put up with this as it's a simple button to push but will probably activate it while on the freeway and such. I've got <1k miles so I'm still driving in "C".
Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
i've always questioned myself about this but I must trust that manufactures know what they are doing. the eco start and stop is been rolled on in every car on every brand, from the most cheap to the most expensive ones in Europe. i believe it is more annoying than actually be really more damaging in the medium turn to the car components
Old 08-17-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
I reread the supplemental manual for the wagon and found that by pressing the button on the console ("A") this will disable the start/stop feature as well as the cylinder deactivation and glide mode functions while driving in "C" mode. Problem is that every time the ignition is shut off and restarted in "C" mode these features are automatically reactivated and the button has to be pressed again. So I'll put up with this as it's a simple button to push but will probably activate it while on the freeway and such. I've got <1k miles so I'm still driving in "C".
Interesting because in my MY2017 X5M, once you pressed the "A" button, it never went back on again. But for the new Mercedes, you have to constantly disable it everytime you turn the engine back on again? I wonder if BMW eventually went this route too or just mercedes and others that have been doing it already.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by SoCalRick
Really? Can you quote the information that you are referring to from the manual? I have read and reread the ECO start/stop section in the MY18 E Class Sedan Operators manual and haven't seen any such assertions. What am I missing?
-SCR
I’ll look it up again and let you know the page/location
Old 08-20-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
like the subliminal message for MB