Skipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:56 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Skipping

So, big twist in situation.

Yesterday the weather got worse over here in UK, much colder and much wetter.

I started the car, reversed and boom, this almighty noise and judder like I had gone over a big pothole.

Family were alarmed but car seemed to carry on without any further issues.

I phoned the dealer and agreed to see them today. Got in the car this morning, weather even worse and had some massive ‘skids/slips’ when turning full lock on both turning corners and reversing.

I get to the dealer and he nods his head immediately, calls it ‘skipping’ and agrees it’s a known issue with C, E class and particularly the GLC’s.

Supposedly it’s a combination of the 4WD system, low profile/hard compound tyres and low temperatures.

I was stunned that this was being admitted as an issue that they couldn’t rectify! He assured me it wasn’t a safety issue but not good nevertheless.

The dealer is a good guy and is going to raise a investigation to see if they can get me a free set of winter tyres as supposedly that helps it but this is mental for a £100k car!!!

I’m mystified, his story does add up as I had the E63 out on test in the summer and didn’t have an issue then.

Really disappointing as I am truly loving the car but this is a joke!

I thought I had done my due diligence and am kicking myself more than anything I didn’t know about it beforehand!

Last edited by Slugsy; 10-27-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Unfortunately, this is a characteristic of summer tires when the ambient road temperatures get below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. You need to change to either all-season or winter tires. I've ordered a set of Bridgestone UHP all-season tires to be installed next week. I'm not truly understanding why MB does not offer all-season tires as an option for for the E63S for those of us who are not interested in tracking our vehicles.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:23 AM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by HBerman
Unfortunately, this is a characteristic of summer tires when the ambient road temperatures get below 45 degrees Fahrenheit. You need to change to either all-season or winter tires. I've ordered a set of Bridgestone UHP all-season tires to be installed next week. I'm not truly understanding why MB does not offer all-season tires as an option for for the E63S for those of us who are not interested in tracking our vehicles.
Agreed, interesting I was told on another forum that there were no all season options.

Ill have a look at the Bridgestones, thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here you go.

Last edited by HBerman; 10-27-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:24 AM

E63 AMG Estate

Here you go.
Perfect, thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
This also happened with my previous car - Porsche Cayman - when it was cold weather + summer tire combo. This also occurs in 991.1 (not sure about 991.2) Porsche 911's .
Old 10-27-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
Are you talking about an issue when the surface is wet and cold and when wheels are fully turned in one or either side and at low speed, there is weird sound is coming? I noticed that only when it's wet around, I thought about some issue but then noticed if you will turn on "drift mode" this sound is gone that means this is like front axle works...
Old 10-27-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
I believe you should buy a Y rating model instead of a W for all season tires.

what kind of sound/feeling is that you described as i did not understand exactly what happened?

i live in a general hot country, but can get rainy winters and temperatures normally go to 0 to -5ºC at its peak. never used winter tires but i'm curious to know about these issues
Old 10-27-2018, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
We had this happen when driving the car after delivery in Germany last November. Temps in the upper 30s lower 40s much of the trip with rain and drizzle. Some snow thrown in too.

Was a bit worried because by German law we were supposed to have winter tires on the car, but it was delivered with Pirelli summer tires. My dear and the tech at delivery told us that as long as we didn't get stuck and cause a problem in traffic we were unlikely to be ticketed.

So, summer tires in cold wet conditions, much as you describe.

Having driven a variety of 4x4 vehicles off and on road with a mix of limited slip axles and locking differentials, the skipping felt kind of similar to what happens when turning tightly in them. Try a tight turn in a 2 door jeep with full lockers on dry pavement sometime ;-) You get to enjoy both the front and rear skipping big time.

What I think is happening with the E63S is similar in that the inside tire is turning a smaller radius than the outer tire so needs to turn at a different rate, it's also turned at a tighter angle and it almost feels as if it's a combination of the tire being pushed forward at the same time as rotationally skipping.

You can feel it to some degree on dry pavement too, but maybe there's enough grip on warm dry pavement to force the differential to slip enough to absorb the difference till you straighten the wheels.

Back home in San Diego, I notice that the rear skips when I turn out of my office in the evenings even in comfort mode when the drive train is still cold. It's a hard right and the inside tire slips a couple of times as I'm straightening out even though I'm not stepping on the throttle that hard.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
Originally Posted by E634Me
We had this happen when driving the car after delivery in Germany last November. Temps in the upper 30s lower 40s much of the trip with rain and drizzle. Some snow thrown in too.

Was a bit worried because by German law we were supposed to have winter tires on the car, but it was delivered with Pirelli summer tires. My dear and the tech at delivery told us that as long as we didn't get stuck and cause a problem in traffic we were unlikely to be ticketed.

So, summer tires in cold wet conditions, much as you describe.

Having driven a variety of 4x4 vehicles off and on road with a mix of limited slip axles and locking differentials, the skipping felt kind of similar to what happens when turning tightly in them. Try a tight turn in a 2 door jeep with full lockers on dry pavement sometime ;-) You get to enjoy both the front and rear skipping big time.

What I think is happening with the E63S is similar in that the inside tire is turning a smaller radius than the outer tire so needs to turn at a different rate, it's also turned at a tighter angle and it almost feels as if it's a combination of the tire being pushed forward at the same time as rotationally skipping.

You can feel it to some degree on dry pavement too, but maybe there's enough grip on warm dry pavement to force the differential to slip enough to absorb the difference till you straighten the wheels.

Back home in San Diego, I notice that the rear skips when I turn out of my office in the evenings even in comfort mode when the drive train is still cold. It's a hard right and the inside tire slips a couple of times as I'm straightening out even though I'm not stepping on the throttle that hard.
My car has the same. btw it's not gonna happen at high speed and when "drift mode" is engaged.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:11 PM

E63 AMG Estate
It was pretty dire today with the dealer. I started to full lock/turn to the right and just did circles and it continually skipped non stop.

The other concern of course is how much this will wear the tyres?
Old 10-27-2018, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tonecas
I believe you should buy a Y rating model instead of a W for all season tires.

what kind of sound/feeling is that you described as i did not understand exactly what happened?

i live in a general hot country, but can get rainy winters and temperatures normally go to 0 to -5ºC at its peak. never used winter tires but i'm curious to know about these issues
There is basically no selection of all-season tires with Y rating. W rating is good for 145 mph. I don't think that I would be even approaching that speed during the winter or any other time. The temp in NC got down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit several times last year. At those temperatures, the summer tires will crack.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:27 AM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
thanks and let us know how you like all season on E63s.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Wheel hop on my w212 when I had summers ... switched to high perf Conti dws and no issues

i have an ams tune therefore make more hp. And torque at the wheels than a stock w213 amg and they handle fine ... hook up and hold me in the turns very well ... no wheel hop and actually decent in snow
Old 10-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Slugsy
So, big twist in situation.

Yesterday the weather got worse over here in UK, much colder and much wetter.

I started the car, reversed and boom, this almighty noise and judder like I had gone over a big pothole.

Family were alarmed but car seemed to carry on without any further issues.

I phoned the dealer and agreed to see them today. Got in the car this morning, weather even worse and had some massive ‘skids/slips’ when turning full lock on both turning corners and reversing.

I get to the dealer and he nods his head immediately, calls it ‘skipping’ and agrees it’s a known issue with C, E class and particularly the GLC’s.

Supposedly it’s a combination of the 4WD system, low profile/hard compound tyres and low temperatures.

I was stunned that this was being admitted as an issue that they couldn’t rectify! He assured me it wasn’t a safety issue but not good nevertheless.

The dealer is a good guy and is going to raise a investigation to see if they can get me a free set of winter tyres as supposedly that helps it but this is mental for a £100k car!!!

I’m mystified, his story does add up as I had the E63 out on test in the summer and didn’t have an issue then.

Really disappointing as I am truly loving the car but this is a joke!

I thought I had done my due diligence and am kicking myself more than anything I didn’t know about it beforehand!
not sure why this is mercedes' fault and why you get free winter tires...

summer tires are for certain temps... if they are wheel hopping then they aren't safe in that temp to drive and you should switch to all season or winter tires for your and other drivers' safety
Old 10-29-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 E63 S (white wagon), 2016 Viper ACR Extreme, 2005 Porsche GT3 Cup race car,2020 GLE
happens on most performance cars no big deal
Old 10-29-2018, 03:09 PM

2015 Toyota Corolla LE
There is basically no selection of all-season tires with Y rating. W rating is good for 145 mph. I don't think that I would be even approaching that speed during the winter or any other time. The temp in NC got down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit several times last year. At those temperatures, the summer tires will crack.
W = 168 mph / 270 km/h
Old 10-29-2018, 03:29 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by Clk63blkseries
happens on most performance cars no big deal
I didn’t realise that, interesting.

I think part of the issue is that I tested both the E63 and the M5 in the summer extensively and didn’t have this issue so it’s come as a surprise.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E63 AMG S, 2016 Porsche 911 GTS Coupe
Happens to my 911 every winter when it's exposed to anything under 40F for any period of time long enough to cool down the interior of the car. The tires are too hard for the weather. Its perfectly normal behavior and actually a good thing imo because it tells you you're outside the normal operating range of the tires. I don't bother with winter tires here in Houston because weather like that never stays around for more than a few days at a time but if you're in the UK you might be well served investing in a set of alipns.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here you go.
I had these installed on new OEM wheels this week. My first impressions.are that they are a bit quieter on rough asphalt than the Michelin PS4s that I removed, much quieter on smooth surfaces. Handling seems about the same and the car tracks like it's on rails, I may just leave these on all year (they are all-season) if my first impressions last. It's going to be below freezing this weekend so I get to see how they feel in cold weather, but I don't expect much difference. The appearance of the tires on the wheels look better than the PS4S especially the rear tires (295-30/R20). The PS4s always looked like the wheel was significantly recessed from the tire compared to the front tires. These look the same.

Last edited by HBerman; 11-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:06 AM

E63 AMG Estate
I had these installed on new OEM wheels this week. My first impressions.are that they are a bit quieter on rough asphalt than the Michelin PS4s that I removed, much quieter on smooth surfaces. Handling seems about the same and the car tracks like it's on rails, I may just leave these on all year (they are all-seaon) if my first impressions last. It's going to be below freezing this weekend so I get to see how they feel in cold weather, but I don't expect much difference. The appearance of the tires on the wheels look better than the PS4S especially the rear tires (295-30/R20). The PS4s always looked like the wheel was significantly recessed from the tire compared to the front tires. These look the same.
Ill definitely have a look at these, thanks
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Continental DWS06's...
Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
Continental DWS06's...
The DWS06 is not available in the 295-30/R20 size. So, in order to use these, you would need to go to a square setup of 265-35/R20. I preferred to go with the correct sizes as installed.
s26singh (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 AM

2015 Toyota Corolla LE
The DWS06 is not available in the 295-30/R20 size. So, in order to use these, you would need to go to a square setup of 265-35/R20. I preferred to go with the correct sizes as installed.
I agree with HBerman: DWS06 is not available in 295/30R20 and reducing rear to 285/30R20 worries me, as this car is AWD; it requires identical diameters front and back. Correct staggered would be 255/35R20 Front and 285/30R20 Rear. Or go square as mentioned above. But why not choose OEM size when its available in the Potenzas - there will be a very minimal price difference, if any, and the Potenza has had great response so far by critics.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:06 AM

2015 Toyota Corolla LE
I had these installed on new OEM wheels this week. My first impressions.are that they are a bit quieter on rough asphalt than the Michelin PS4s that I removed, much quieter on smooth surfaces. Handling seems about the same and the car tracks like it's on rails, I may just leave these on all year (they are all-season) if my first impressions last. It's going to be below freezing this weekend so I get to see how they feel in cold weather, but I don't expect much difference. The appearance of the tires on the wheels look better than the PS4S especially the rear tires (295-30/R20). The PS4s always looked like the wheel was significantly recessed from the tire compared to the front tires. These look the same.
Can you post pictures with them installed. I just pulled the trigger on a set too, even though I do not have the car yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Skipping