Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Transmission issues

Hi there

I’ve hesitated up until now to create a thread on this as I’ve struggled to explain it but here goes as I could do with more experienced input.

My E63 seems to have some seemingly transmission issues. The gear changes from a junction can be pretty jerky in Comfort mode, today for example entering a roundabout, the car virtually lunged then felt like it stalled then lunged again.

I’ve also experienced some really sluggish up shifts when I’ve accelerated and then taken my foot off the pedal and it’s taken 40 secs+ for the car to realise it needs to upshift to reduce the revs.

I haven’t been sure whether this was normal or not and I was going to wait till 1,800 miles and the service to bring this up with the dealer but I had a major issue tonight...

I was at a junction on a slight hill and went to put my foot on the accelerator to move out, quite a hard press on the pedal but only say a 1/4 down and the car went mental, started to redline and wouldn’t shift gears. The noise was incredible and looking at the dash it still said Comfort and Auto but it was obvious it hadn’t shifted out of 1st, so I went into manual and yes, it was in 1st and I had to shift up the gears to reduce the revs and noise. I turned it back and forth from manual to auto and it seemed to fix the issue and drove normally for the rest of the journey.

Is this normal folks? Should I be getting hold of the dealer? Anyone any experience of this sort of thing?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by Slugsy
Hi there

I’ve hesitated up until now to create a thread on this as I’ve struggled to explain it but here goes as I could do with more experienced input.

My E63 seems to have some seemingly transmission issues. The gear changes from a junction can be pretty jerky in Comfort mode, today for example entering a roundabout, the car virtually lunged then felt like it stalled then lunged again.

I’ve also experienced some really sluggish up shifts when I’ve accelerated and then taken my foot off the pedal and it’s taken 40 secs+ for the car to realise it needs to upshift to reduce the revs.

I haven’t been sure whether this was normal or not and I was going to wait till 1,800 miles and the service to bring this up with the dealer but I had a major issue tonight...

I was at a junction on a slight hill and went to put my foot on the accelerator to move out, quite a hard press on the pedal but only say a 1/4 down and the car went mental, started to redline and wouldn’t shift gears. The noise was incredible and looking at the dash it still said Comfort and Auto but it was obvious it hadn’t shifted out of 1st, so I went into manual and yes, it was in 1st and I had to shift up the gears to reduce the revs and noise. I turned it back and forth from manual to auto and it seemed to fix the issue and drove normally for the rest of the journey.

Is this normal folks? Should I be getting hold of the dealer? Anyone any experience of this sort of thing?
No, it's not normal. I assume that having the transmission in Sport or Sport+ doesn't exhibit the same issues. I wonder if the manual/auto button on the console was stuck or had a bit of dirt on the contacts. You said that it was normal after your did this for your trip. How about the next trip? Still have the issue or has it gone away? Post back.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
May need software update and go from there
Old 11-13-2018, 06:20 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by HBerman
No, it's not normal. I assume that having the transmission in Sport or Sport+ doesn't exhibit the same issues. I wonder if the manual/auto button on the console was stuck or had a bit of dirt on the contacts. You said that it was normal after your did this for your trip. How about the next trip? Still have the issue or has it gone away? Post back.
Thanks for replying, I haven’t done another trip, that was my way home. I’ll drive again in morning and report back. It does seem to be a Comfort mode issue.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:20 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by bobblehead
May need software update and go from there
Ill talk to dealer tomorrow, thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
I saw some unnormal gear changes too since cold weather came around. it's about 35-45 F in mornings and if the transmission is not warmed up enough (under 120F) I have some punches between gears as well. but after transmission is fully warmed no issues.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
You can do a simple adaptation reset aka tcu reset and see how you do
Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Mandarin
I saw some unnormal gear changes too since cold weather came around. it's about 35-45 F in mornings and if the transmission is not warmed up enough (under 120F) I have some punches between gears as well. but after transmission is fully warmed no issues.
Same, probably more to Mercedes using a wet clutch instead of a torque converter, so at low temps it will feel more like a manual until the temps get up. Still better than my E39 M5, which will attempt to break your wrist kicking you away from 2nd if you try to move the linkage into second before it's ready. Once the transmission is at nominal operative temps, it's fine, but cold it's clunky, just the way it's engineered.
The following users liked this post:
Mandarin (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You can do a simple adaptation reset aka tcu reset and see how you do
I’m not familiar with this, if you don’t mind, can you elaborate what this is and how you do it? Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

Not sure if it will work on our W213
The following users liked this post:
Slugsy (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63

I’m not familiar with this, if you don’t mind, can you elaborate what this is and how you do it? Thanks
For the older generations of Mercedes it was a lot easier to do with a physical key slot, I haven't heard of anyone doing a TCU reset on our car yet.
However I'm sure the dealership can perform a adaptation TCU reset. Jerky transmission is common with AMG's although I haven't experienced anything as bad as your experience.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by bobblehead
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

Not sure if it will work on our W213
MAN that's convoluted. In my SLS you just put it in neutral, held both paddles for a couple seconds, then put it back in gear.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

If there are no codes then this may be the first thing the tech does so you may as well do it to save frustration and time

You may also need a specific reprogram or re adaptation of your mct wet clutch
Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Carac
MAN that's convoluted. In my SLS you just put it in neutral, held both paddles for a couple seconds, then put it back in gear.
its actually very similar for many car makes and models
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 376 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone

Ill talk to dealer tomorrow, thanks
What was the diagnosis?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by HBerman
What was the diagnosis?
Booked in to see technician tomorrow after dealer was away yesterday!!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM

E63 AMG Estate
So it’s been into dealership. Supposedly technician took it for drive, put it on diagnostic and couldn’t find any error codes but it needed a software update so that has been done. They wouldn’t specify what the update was but they sent the info to Germany who confirmed it was ok.

It drove fine on way home and actually I think engine was a bit calmer in comfort. Will see how it goes over next few days, fingers crossed!
The following 3 users liked this post by Slugsy:
bobblehead (11-16-2018), s26singh (11-16-2018), WhiteKnight16 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

So it’s been into dealership. Supposedly technician took it for drive, put it on diagnostic and couldn’t find any error codes but it needed a software update so that has been done. They wouldn’t specify what the update was but they sent the info to Germany who confirmed it was ok.

It drove fine on way home and actually I think engine was a bit calmer in comfort. Will see how it goes over next few days, fingers crossed!
good luck

keep in mind that they did a tcu reset anyways, and the software may have nothing to do with the improvements but actually the simple DIY tcu reset. I mention this again because you can resolve this on your own if it crops up again in the future

cheers

Last edited by PeterUbers; 11-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

good kuck

keep in mind that they did a tcu reset anyways, and the software may have nothing to do with the improvements but actually the simple DIY tcu reset. I mention this again because you can resolve this on your own if it crops up again in the future

cheers
Much appreciated, I will keep that in mind for the future