Sponsored by:

Xpel Stealth alternative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Carac
He basically only uses the cutter to save time on the gross cutting so he can focus on detail work.
That seems a very wise approach. Every installer tries to show how their approach is the best, sometimes by true belief but many times to just push for their solution.

Those who do custom install by hand cut many times don't want to spend money on a plotter and cutting software. So they say that by manual cut they can bend the film around curved surfaces better with less seems/overlaps. And that is true.

On the other hand, that may lead to overstretched film, tucked film that may peel, more panel removal and, worst, cut the paint. And this is used by those who do plotter cut only or mainly, to say their approach is better.

And for the client it's difficult to travel tru this maze of contradictory information.

One thing appears clear to me. A guy that does mainly plotter cut cannot ask a lot of cash. The level of work and skill necessary is much less than a custom install.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
My xpel installer tells me who uses the templates but extends them on his plotter so he can tuck everything. Every panel is customized and every panel is tucked. 10 year warranty parts and labor for any peeling / bubbling, worst case scenario for a rock chip replacement panel is his cost alone. Can PM me if in Houston.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
When keeping chromes how do you guys turn them to matte? Vinyl? Can a matte ppf be placed on them, like window trims and door handles?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by tonecas
When keeping chromes how do you guys turn them to matte? Vinyl? Can a matte ppf be placed on them, like window trims and door handles?
Yep, Xpel Stealth turns the chrome to satin silver that matches the wheel finish and the grille. It also hides fingerprints. Also had it applied to the chrome strip that runs across the tailgate. Looks MUCH better. I don't understand why they don't come this way from the factory. It matches the materials used in the front of the car much better.

Also, if you can't tell, everything but the glass, rims, and asphalt in these pictures is covered in either Xpel Ultimate or Stealth. I always hate when the black window trim starts getting scratched when washing the car over the years...so I had him wrap it too!

Last edited by Carac; 12-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:57 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Yep, Xpel Stealth turns the chrome to satin silver that matches the wheel finish and the grille. It also hides fingerprints. Also had it applied to the chrome strip that runs across the tailgate. Looks MUCH better. I don't understand why they don't come this way from the factory. It matches the materials used in the front of the car much better.

Also, if you can't tell, everything but the glass, rims, and asphalt in these pictures is covered in either Xpel Ultimate or Stealth. I always hate when the black window trim starts getting scratched when washing the car over the years...so I had him wrap it too!
yeah, i think the same. simply can't get these design misses. if you are going to use a color/tone then use it consistently. that is why i am also planning to wrap those things also.

but those are not easy do wrap. small areas and some curved lines. have you had any issue with peeling after sometime in the door handles? i could find the cuts on the door handles, several ones, so it doesn't seems easy. and on the top image it appears to be peeling, or is just an illusion from reflections?

are the tires with Xpel also?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 PM

19 E63s
yeah, i think the same. simply can't get these design misses. if you are going to use a color/tone then use it consistently. that is why i am also planning to wrap those things also.

but those are not easy do wrap. small areas and some curved lines. have you had any issue with peeling after sometime in the door handles? i could find the cuts on the door handles, several ones, so it doesn't seems easy. and on the top image it appears to be peeling, or is just an illusion from reflections?

Had them paint my grill black
Old 12-05-2018, 02:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Mine is in now to get the full Xpel wrap so we will see! Also getting the chrome wrapped black.

Ill post pics when it’s done.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:36 AM

2018 E63S Wagon

Must be reflections because they look fine in person.

I don’t think it would stick to the rubber 😜
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nissan
Carac, do you have a pic of the back? My car is going in Monday and trying to decide between gloss black vinyl and stealth on the chrome strip. LIke the idea of wrapping the trim in gloss!

Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Dagger9903
Carac, do you have a pic of the back? My car is going in Monday and trying to decide between gloss black vinyl and stealth on the chrome strip. LIke the idea of wrapping the trim in gloss!
I'll post one after work.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Dagger9903

Here is mine wrapped with Prestige I believe. At least that the film I have on the front, although not matte. I also have this on the handles. Sheen is exactly like the brushed or nickel sheen on the front grille portion. I considered a black wrap to match the night package, but I thought it looked odd.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Nissan
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
Here is mine wrapped with Prestige I believe. At least that the film I have on the front, although not matte. I also have this on the handles. Sheen is exactly like the brushed or nickel sheen on the front grille portion. I considered a black wrap to match the night package, but I thought it looked odd.
Looks pretty good. That's selenite gray metallic, yeah? I have the wagon and going to tint the rear window so maybe the satin-look chrome bar + the dark back window will look good together (sorta how the grill is black and satin). I'm a fan of symmetry - even if I'm the only one who realizes it.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:21 PM

19 E63s
Fully xpel stealthed.

Full xpel stealth .Gloss black rear strip (wrap) and gloss black front grille (painted). As the car should come from the factory

tonecas (12-06-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
Originally Posted by jkob5
Full xpel stealth .Gloss black rear strip (wrap) and gloss black front grille (painted). As the car should come from the factory

this was a selenite grey metallic prior?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 PM

19 E63s
Yes it was magno originally. Adding a better front grill Pic.
honeybadger15 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
Here you go. I've got the night package and really like the contrast a satin finish you get wrapping the chrome trim in matte PPF, makes it a consistent material/color along the beltline of the car and the grille.

tonecas (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
found some specs for PPFs:

Xpel Ultimate Plus
LLumar Platinum
Suntek Ultra

Xpel has become thinner because of the adhesive layer that came from 1.6mil to 1.1. Total 7.6mil

Llumar is the most thin of the 4 top dogs (Xpel, Suntek, 3M and Llumar). Has 1.2mil adhesive and only 0.26mil in the clear coat and healing layer. I think that this might explain the apparently lower healing capacity of Llumar PPF as far as i have tested.

Suntek Ultra keeps 8mil total. Both belong to the same mother company (Eastman Chemical Company) and have a bit more gloss and more hydrophobic layer. Don't know how the "new" Xpel Ultimate Plus is fairing at this level.

Xpel Stealth seems to be still based on Xpel Ultimate, so it seems to have the 8.1mil of that version.

Except for Llumar, all have 0.5mil clear coat and healing layer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XPL_Ultimate_2015.pdf (699.3 KB, 113 views)
Suntek PPF Specs.pdf (74.6 KB, 134 views)
Llumar_PPF_Platinum_Specs.pdf (4.86 MB, 142 views)
XPL_UltimatePLUS-TDS_V1.0.pdf (683.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 AM

Nissan
Makes sense and looks great! Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by jkob5
very nice spec.

i will go the opposite way keeping the chromes, but matte them. and complement it with a vinyl detail... job for 2 weeks

and first still have to get the car... it was supposed to arrive this Monday
Old 12-15-2018, 06:59 PM

E63 AMG Estate
Xpel Stealth done with a bit of black wrapping. Absolutely love it!

Old 12-15-2018, 07:11 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by Slugsy
Xpel Stealth done with a bit of black wrapping. Absolutely love it!

beauty.
vinyl wrap in black? seems very similar to the OEM gloss black paint

noticed that you have also the Zunsport guards. any issue so far with cooling?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:46 AM

E63 AMG Estate
beauty.
vinyl wrap in black? seems very similar to the OEM gloss black paint

noticed that you have also the Zunsport guards. any issue so far with cooling?
Sorry, that was misleading.

Xpel Stealth over whole car, vinyl black wrap the front grill, door handles, back chrome bit on boot and black badges at back.

Cooling issues with ZunSports, not that I know of, what should I be looking out for?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:44 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Cooling issues with ZunSports, not that I know of, what should I be looking out for?
over heating or loss of power when pushing more hard for awhile
Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 AM

E63 AMG Estate
over heating or loss of power when pushing more hard for awhile
I’ll keep an eye on that, not so far but very early days

I’ve actually had some issues with the Xpel today! Some lifting (sigh) so it’s going to have to go back in, not amused!!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 AM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
I’ve actually had some issues with the Xpel today! Some lifting (sigh) so it’s going to have to go back in, not amused!!!!
that's a bummer. was that custom install or plotter based?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xpel Stealth alternative