Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating on the interior fenders /wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Ceramic coating on the interior fenders /wheels

Has anyone place ceramic coating on this area of the car? The plastic with some kind of tissue over the wheels that protect the chassis.

I did cover it for ease of cleaning but I am not sure if that amplifies the road noise in the cabin since it hardens the material
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W213 E63 AMG, F90 BMW M5, S63 Cabriolet, SLS Final Edition, Ferrari 488 Pista
Just ceramic coated my wheels and brake calipers, not only are my wheels still clean 2 weeks later without a wash, they retain much less dust and repel water with ease, especially with the rainstorm we had in SoCal not too long ago. Highly recommend doing this and might eventually upgrade to full body ceramic coat but since my car is a lease might have to pass on that and let the next owner do it.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:43 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by NickBoz
Just ceramic coated my wheels and brake calipers, not only are my wheels still clean 2 weeks later without a wash, they retain much less dust and repel water with ease, especially with the rainstorm we had in SoCal not too long ago. Highly recommend doing this and might eventually upgrade to full body ceramic coat but since my car is a lease might have to pass on that and let the next owner do it.
yeah, i did the same. but since i outright purchase the car I did full PPF wrap and full ceramic coating with Gyeon MOHS+, including wheels, calipers AND inside the fenders. and that is my doubt. my detailing guy asked me if i wanted it because he said that the inside of the fenders were not like a carpet/tissue that I was expecting for lowering road noise level inside the cabin. so he just cover it too to make it easy to clean. that area gets hit hard by mud, rocks, tar, etc. but I don't know if hardening that stuff with ceramic coat will increase the road noise level.

i guess that if it does is should be negligible but just checking if anyone has consider this.

by the way, this combined protection works like a charm. car's surface is smooth as silk and very easy to clean
Old 01-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 E220 Estate & 2012 E200 Saloon
Hi had my Estate fully ceramic coated, inside and out, including the wheels exterior / interior, callipers, and all wheel arches 3 months ago. Coating has self levelled and cured well. Have not noticed any difference in road noise in the cabin or the boot area. Rear wheel arches have a fibre surface and its feels the same as it did before the coating. Front wheel arches have smooth non fibre moulding in the arches, different to rear. Very easy to clean wheels and arches now with pressure washer and soap. I still need a brush to reach in to the underside of the wheel arch to remove the build up of crude that accumulates there because of the wheel arch design. Failing to wash there regularly will in my humble opinion cause trouble with the wing panels in future.

Worth mentioning, if you have your wheels balanced in the future, you need to inform the balancer, as they will need to gently sand the area of the rim that the weight will be applied to as the weight will not stick to the ceramic coating.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
thanks!
Originally Posted by SpaceDesign
Failing to wash there regularly will in my humble opinion cause trouble with the wing panels in future.
what do you mean with this? wing panels? where are those?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 E220 Estate & 2012 E200 Saloon

Put your hand under the top of your wheel arch / (fender?) and see if you have a build up of road crude, the steel is not that thick and the paint is very thin behind there, I believe undetected build up of crude here will retain moisture which never really gets to dry out in my local climate at this time of year, thus potentially causing paint and panel corrosion
I clean mine in every wash.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (01-31-2019)