Steering tries to find itself when flooring it in a straight line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Steering tries to find itself when flooring it in a straight line

Is it because I've never driven an AWD car before? The steering of this car is very different than that of a F10 BMW M5/F13 BMW M6 which I am used to.

I have brand new front tires and they redid my alignment, so I don't think it's an issue related to that. It also really isn't an issue as much as it is a nitpick. Obviously, an E63s AMG isn't a Camaro ZL1 1LE. It's most likely not going to have the most direct + communicative steering. I was just wondering if any of you guys ever feel like the car is "recalibrating" it self slightly while you're getting on it? Almost like the electronic steering is making a bunch of semi-noticeable little minor adjustments as it covers ground.

Curious if I'm just an idiot.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
Is it because I've never driven an AWD car before? The steering of this car is very different than that of a F10 BMW M5/F13 BMW M6 which I am used to.

I have brand new front tires and they redid my alignment, so I don't think it's an issue related to that. It also really isn't an issue as much as it is a nitpick. Obviously, an E63s AMG isn't a Camaro ZL1 1LE. It's most likely not going to have the most direct + communicative steering. I was just wondering if any of you guys ever feel like the car is "recalibrating" it self slightly while you're getting on it? Almost like the electronic steering is making a bunch of semi-noticeable little minor adjustments as it covers ground.

Curious if I'm just an idiot.
on my 2014 E63S with an AMS tune and all season high performance tires I can launch and I never feel the steering is dancing around or making electronic corrections...

that being said, your w213 4matic+ is more advanced than my AWD system which is locked at 33/66 front/back; yours is dynamic so I would not be surprised if it was capable of balancing out acceleration torque to the point where you feel some adjustments while at WOT
Old 03-10-2019, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Compared to other front wheel drive cars I've driven as well as my Jeep and tuned F-250 the E63s has much less induced torque steering than the others.

Depending upon traction and road surface, you're going to feel some input from the front end, but I was surprised just how little there was on the E63s given how hard it is clawing away at the ground on launches.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
I just did launch control start in the wet using Race mode! Wholly sh*t, I almost defactated myself, the car was all over the place!

Leason learnt! Wet conditions - keep traction control on!!!
Old 03-10-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by Slugsy
I just did launch control start in the wet using Race mode! Wholly sh*t, I almost defactated myself, the car was all over the place!

Leason learnt! Wet conditions - keep traction control on!!!
Is it off in Race mode?
Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Sport Handling mode is selected when you choose Race mode. Sport Handling mode allows for greater yaw (larger rear end step out) before the nannies step in and start taking over.

If you press and hold the ESP button, you'll get a message that tells you you that ESP is in manual mode. However, per the instructors at the AMG Academy, even in manual mode, ESP is reenabled briefly whenever you depress the brake peddle.

In Race mode and Sport Handling, the car will step out more on corner exits but typically the nannies step in before it gets too interesting.

I must say the car did a great job of stepping in a few months back when I was on a mountain run and had a right rear tire sidewall puncture from a sharp rock. The tire instantly deflated while I was full throttle exiting a turn. Car briefly snapped pretty far sideways and then instantly cut power and straightened up (some reaction in countersteering on my part too) in a fairly drama free fashion.

Drove the car in the rain last week and found the car very well mannered in the reduced traction conditions, though overall, I'd like to see a bit less baby sitting in Sport and Sport+ modes. You pretty much have to be in Sport Handling mode to have any real fun.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by Dunga
Is it off in Race mode?
I thought so but E634me has better insight.