Sponsored by:

Wheel curb rash recover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Wheel curb rash recover

Is there anyway to repair a damaged wheel from curb hits? I referring specially to the AMG crossed spoke 20" wheels.

thinking ahead if there could be a better way, i come to this product:
https://www.zevymo.shop/products/pro-wheel-rim-protector

don't know if anyone has tried something like this? not convinced it will stay stuck with high speed and after a few washes and some stormy weather...
Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I have had both front wheels repaired for light rash.

I have the RTS wheels.

The process involved grinding down the damaged area a bit, then applying some filler and sanding and painting. Cost about $200 to get both wheels done. The mobile wheel repair guy came to my office and was finished in an hour or so.

Had considered doing the job myself as it seems pretty straightforward, but figured I'd let a Pro do it as I'd have to get the filler compound and the right matching paint and all that.

Mostly happy with the job he did, though one spot could have been a bit better. No one but me can see it though.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
Interesting product that I had never heard of before. I have always had to have my wheels refinished every year by a local wheel repair shop, most recently my 20 in AMG wheels. They look as good as new when the job is done.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I would be interested to know if they stay on and hold up too. I have had my wife's wheel repaired before because she said she couldn't help it. "The curb just wouldn't move." A pro just used something like a dremel tool and sanded the area down, polished it, and then sprayed something back over it. You had to look hard to find it. I don't know what it cost because we were talked into the wheel insurance at the time.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
i found some user comments over this product.
everyone may have its experience but I believe these can be the end result of using it, giving the harsh conditions it can be put on.

"
Well tread carefully. Having followed instructions carefully mine slowly came unstuck and one flew off mid journey. Then trying to remove the glue they leave behind is almost impossible. Plus if your wheels have been previously repaired, they are likely to take off the laquer with them. I ended up having to have 4 wheels refurbished at great cost because if a £20 product designed to save your rims...
"
"
So when you get a tire changed and they put your wheel on a machine to break it down,then what do you do with the cheap piece your covered your edge of the wheel with,,,super glue it back on
"

"
until it comes off on the freeway a wips you guard causing you about 1k worth of damage

-- they’ve been on for almost a year and 7000 miles...through car washes...and at highway speeds.
-- ZVY - We've tested this product going over 100 mph and can confirm that they stay on securely
"
"
yeah that will work
when you scuff your rims up against a concrete kerb
that piece of soft plastic will save your precious alloys
yeah right
"