Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG resale value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
No one can envision owning an AMG car for an enjoyable twenty years. Many can envision (and ultimately experience) that in a 911.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by stratman
The thing with AMG is that they lose their value rather quickly. I sold my 2013 performance pack for 35k after four years because most that looked at it didn't care for the Porcelano Napa leather interior on polar white exterior. Was a great car with no issues during ownership. Now the E63s sedan or wagon is the same unfortunately. But really, a Honda? I have one of three Edition 1 wagons in the U.S. but apparently it's not worth any more than any other wagon. I plan on keeping it for quite some time as it's very utilitarian while still being able to smoke just about anything on the road and, yes, I paid cash for mine. Is it a sound "investment?" Depends on what one means. I could have made more on stocks but stocks don't make me smile as when I drive this AMG which certainly does so I don't care about lost value as it's valuable to me.
just curious, put into numbers how much of a premium you would want because your car is a wagon + edition 1 as opposed to just a regular wagon

i thought it was common knowledge that options don’t retain value well
Old 08-01-2019, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 511 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by mmmamg
Want to hear opinions why AMG cars (and M as well) loosing so much in first year of ownership comparing with Porsche.

example:

SL63AMG loaded costs 170K, 110K after 1 year.
911 similar 170K, 150K after 1 year.
Well in the example you gave the 911 is a much more desirable car and Porsche is managing production well. The SL63 is outdated junk. Nobody wants to buy those. Just giving one to every dealer in the country is over-producing it.

BTW The 911 is special in the porsche line up. If you look at Cayenne and Panamera models they depreciate a lot, just like cars like the E63.

Also in the Mercedes line-up the AMG GTS/GTC/GTR have held their value pretty well too similar to 911.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by mmmamg
nicely said.
Vacation is financially a waste of money, drinking expensive wines is a waste of money and keep going. But for some of us we earned it and we enjoy it.

I enjoy my wagon every day and plan to keep it till I don't have any significant problems. Probably will add little convertible pCar to enjoy something different.
my only response to this is

look at a rolls royce phantom, that's a $400k-$500k car

that sucker is going to depreciate just like an AMG or an ///M

so, yes, splurging for the $80 bottle of wine is bad because why not just drink $9 walmart box wine? splurging for the $2k or $30k bottle is bad too.

what i'm trying to convey is, yeah... AMGs are bad choices, but you can make a lot worse. if anything, AMG is "budget" / "bang for buck"

if sports cars were all $300k, these forums would be a whole lot quieter because a lot of us just couldn't play at that level.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2012 Ferrari FF, 1992 911 C2, 2019 e63s wagon (no longer lives at the Baltimore VPC)
Originally Posted by b0rderman
No one can envision owning an AMG car for an enjoyable twenty years. Many can envision (and ultimately experience) that in a 911.
I have a '92 C2. I bought it in 1999 (so twenty years ago) for $36k with about 25k miles. This was a very expensive 911 when built - the 964 - and the 993 that followed was less expensive (and a better performing car). I love it and it never fails to thrill when I start it up and drive it, like I did to work today (mileage is now 50k). Twenty years from now I hope to still have it. I don't know that I would say the same about my E63S - as much as I love it.

And obviously the car is worth more today than when I bought it. I don't think it was necessarily a good investment in that I'm sure the same amount of money invested in the market would have yielded a better result. But was a nice bonus in addition to the years of enjoyment.
The following users liked this post:
b0rderman (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
just curious, put into numbers how much of a premium you would want because your car is a wagon + edition 1 as opposed to just a regular wagon

i thought it was common knowledge that options don’t retain value well
If I were to sell it today I'd probably ask for oh, maybe a paltry $50k Premium over a non Ed 1 wagon...…..Just Kidding! According to a rather knowledgeable person on this site who also has a nice collection of cars, the fact that it's an Ed 1 wagon probably wouldn't make it more valuable than a non Ed 1 variant. I've had a hard time finding information on the three of these wagons and my email to MB went unanswered. I guess a good appraiser would be able to determine if this particular wagon has any more value than a regular wagon of the same year but I don't plan on selling it for probably another three years so I'll find out then.