W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Getting a new wagon - would appreciate some opinions from this board

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 WAGON
Love my E63S wagon

I absolutely love my 2019 E63s wagon. Best car ever. Have had it for 10 months and use it as my daily driver. See comments below.

Originally Posted by TAmes
HI all,

I've decided to get a new E63S wagon, and I'd love some opinions from all of you (I realize that many of the items I'm having trouble with are subjective in nature):
  • Exterior color: Having trouble deciding between Selenite Gray metallic (992) and Cardinal Red metallic (996). Ours is Selenite Gray metallic. Looks great. Would do again (WDA).
  • Wheels: Forged cross-spoke, matte black (RTS) Got them WDA
  • Interior upholstery: I'm not wild about any of the choices, to be honest. Brown seems a bit too dark, beige seems too light, and I'm concerned that a black interior will make the interior seem too dark (I've always had interiors with lighter-colored upholstery). I'll probably end up going with the black (with silver seatbelts) or the beige. I wish there were a gray upholstery choice... Was a tough choice. Got the Brown upholstery . Looks good. WDA
  • Carbon fiber interior trim (H73). The matte silver fiberglass trim looks nice in photos, too, but the E63 (sedan, not wagon) I test drove had the carbon fiber trim, and I thought this looked fantastic. got the H09 Natural Grain Brown Ash Wood Trim . am happy with it WDA
  • Driver Assistance Package (DA2) Yes WDA DEFINATELY!
  • Advanced Lighting Package (DA4) Yes WDA
  • Sun Protection Package (DB9) Yes WDA
  • Night Package (DC1) Yes WDA
  • Multicontour seats with massage feature (432). Not quite sure about this one. Seems a little gimicky, but I can see how this feature would be really useful on longer trips.
  • Best/most used option we got! My wife absolutely loves the massage and uses it almost everytime she is in the car. With 10 different settings you can pick the massage you like the best, or vary the type of massage. I enjoy it also, and use it frequently. Especially good on long trips, but we use it almost daily around town.
  • Head-up display (463) I find this very useful. Includes GPS info. Does not work well with polarized sunglasses (you have to tilt your head 45 degrees to see it clearly. I got non polarized sun glasses and it works great. WDA
  • 115V AC power outlet (U80) got it, haven't used it. could come in handy. WDA
  • Silver seatbelts, if I get the black interior (Y04)
  • Performance steering wheel, in Nappa leather (L6J). I haven't tried a steering wheel in DINAMICA yet, but I thought the Nappa leather wheel felt great. agree. I thought the DINAMICA looked good, but was concerned about how it would wear.
  • AMG drive unit steering wheel buttons (U88)
Most useless option I got: self closing doors. Almost Never use it. 2 times over the 10 months I didn't close the door all the way, and it did it for me. When guests don't close their door all the way, they quickly open it and close it again. (don't give the self closer time to work.)

I'd particularly like to hear any opinions on exterior color (again, realizing that this is a totally subjective question), interior color, and the massage feature for the seats. Also: are there any options that I've listed above that you would *not* recommend that I order, based on your experience? Alternatively, are there any options I've left off that you think I *should* consider?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've found this board to be a fantastic resource and truly appreciate any responses!

-TA
The following users liked this post:
eriksstrickland (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by ALANADELMAN
I absolutely love my 2019 E63s wagon. Best car ever. Have had it for 10 months and use it as my daily driver. See comments below.
Thank you for your input on both the color choices for the exterior/interior, as well as the massage function on the seats - really helpful insights!
Old 09-25-2019, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by TAmes
Thank you for your input on both the color choices for the exterior/interior, as well as the massage function on the seats - really helpful insights!
Mine 2019 is "loaded" except for massage seats, HUD, and fragrance (not sure if that was even available in US). soft close doors are a nice touch, imo. HUD is missed. as far as interior finish, I'd personally look for something that limits sun reflection. The piano black/lines finish, for example, can be blinding.

Other random thoughts:

i use the heck out of all of the driver aid stuff, just disabled the annoying bits (auto-speed based on toll booth, curve, sign, etc.) and use the butler mode as I call it to drive on the boring parts of the highway as much as it can. it ain't perfect, but it is worth the $ in my opinion.
advanced lighting, yup.
night package, I think so; personal preference though. I prefer the non-chrome look as much as possible.
I'd personally skip the cosmetic exterior CF stuff unless I was going for a maxed out, would-be-tracked car.
I'd seriously consider CCBs next time around. Cleaning the wheels takes longer than the rest of the car.
sun package, yes.
acoustic package, yes. -- to be fair I've not driven one without it, and even with the tire noise is dominant. still the quietest thing i've owned though.
i personally would limit dinamica on high touch surfaces like a steering wheel.
matte paint? hell yes. would get again. sure, I had to swap out almost everything I'd been using over the years to clean vehicles, but the end result is just a win. Mine is a one-off build with the designo brilliant blue magno.
3way AC: yes
rear heat: yes
rear/side airbags: yes (I don't have them; wish i did. extra comfort feeling for family and it would personally be a tie breaker between two equally equipped vehicles)
de-badge options: yes (I didn't have those; debadging matte is a pain)

(mine: https://imgur.com/a/IRwH5fG -- before someone decided to run into it this past weekend at least).

one thing of note is that the pictures do not properly capture the interior color; in the pictures the seats are much more muted than face to face.

-j
Old 09-25-2019, 11:42 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by jasonbrent
Mine 2019 is "loaded" except for massage seats, HUD, and fragrance (not sure if that was even available in US). soft close doors are a nice touch, imo. HUD is missed. as far as interior finish, I'd personally look for something that limits sun reflection. The piano black/lines finish, for example, can be blinding.

Other random thoughts:

i use the heck out of all of the driver aid stuff, just disabled the annoying bits (auto-speed based on toll booth, curve, sign, etc.) and use the butler mode as I call it to drive on the boring parts of the highway as much as it can. it ain't perfect, but it is worth the $ in my opinion.
advanced lighting, yup.
night package, I think so; personal preference though. I prefer the non-chrome look as much as possible.
I'd personally skip the cosmetic exterior CF stuff unless I was going for a maxed out, would-be-tracked car.
I'd seriously consider CCBs next time around. Cleaning the wheels takes longer than the rest of the car.
sun package, yes.
acoustic package, yes. -- to be fair I've not driven one without it, and even with the tire noise is dominant. still the quietest thing i've owned though.
i personally would limit dinamica on high touch surfaces like a steering wheel.
matte paint? hell yes. would get again. sure, I had to swap out almost everything I'd been using over the years to clean vehicles, but the end result is just a win. Mine is a one-off build with the designo brilliant blue magno.
3way AC: yes
rear heat: yes
rear/side airbags: yes (I don't have them; wish i did. extra comfort feeling for family and it would personally be a tie breaker between two equally equipped vehicles)
de-badge options: yes (I didn't have those; debadging matte is a pain)

(mine: https://imgur.com/a/IRwH5fG -- before someone decided to run into it this past weekend at least).

one thing of note is that the pictures do not properly capture the interior color; in the pictures the seats are much more muted than face to face.

-j
Such a beautiful car - thanks for the post.

Interesting perspective re: the driver aid tools. That’s good to know.

When you say that the brown interior is more muted in the photos, do you mean that they’re darker face to face?