Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Order - Am I missing any options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Like everyone said, it's personal preference but after a couple of cars with carbon ceramics, I wish they were standard (and less expensive, of course). If not for road dirt I wouldn't have needed to touch my rims for the past 18 months, you also don't realize how much brake dust ends up on the side of your car while driving until you have CCBs. I also like how they fill out the inside of the rim more than the steel units. If you can swing it, it's a nice option, but more of a convenience/aesthetic thing than performance. Even Porsche admits they're basically just to reduce brake dust.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 E63s Estate
i have noise reduction package and you can still easily hear the exhaust note, especially with exhaust open.
this car is still crazy loud on some roads (live in Texas). i could not imagine how loud it would be without that noise reduction package
Old 10-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 E63, 2011 E350, 1997 F50
Get carbon ceramic brakes!!!! That is the one option I really wish I got on my car.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 165 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by GermanMIA
Did they give you a 2019 or 2020 model as a loaner?
Thought 2020 are "held hostage" at VPC?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Thought 2020 are "held hostage" at VPC?
2020 Non-AMGs are on the lots.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Carac
2020 Non-AMGs are on the lots.
Sixpaqs said:
Picked up my ED E63 loaner today

Not true?
Old 10-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500
Originally Posted by BC-2
Most options are based on individual needs or preferences (audio, heated this or that etc.), however, the soft close doors are fairly useless so I would consider skipping it. The doors on the E63's close of you sneeze on them so the soft close feature virtually never actually get used. I got them but probably wouldn't if I were to do it again. They are a fairly low cost option so if the cost is no matter, then why not.
Every passenger is going to slam them, anyway, and I personally don't see the utility. Some people find it fascinating, but I've never really understood why.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with people who might have physical ailments, but I'm pretty banged up now and I still don't see the point. Maybe I'm missing that point entirely.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500
Like everyone said, it's personal preference but after a couple of cars with carbon ceramics, I wish they were standard (and less expensive, of course). If not for road dirt I wouldn't have needed to touch my rims for the past 18 months, you also don't realize how much brake dust ends up on the side of your car while driving until you have CCBs. I also like how they fill out the inside of the rim more than the steel units. If you can swing it, it's a nice option, but more of a convenience/aesthetic thing than performance. Even Porsche admits they're basically just to reduce brake dust.
I think they should come with a briefing from one of the techs explaining the differences. I know two people who have them on personal cars, and they're not really up to speed on what they do or how to inspect them.

They're different than iron, in that regard.

Depending on the increase in diameter, they can also be much lighter; reducing unsprung mass dramatically. Actual braking improvements are really only going to occur upon descending an array of nasty switchbacks or similar conditions on the street; but brakes ain't all about brakes.

I'm not sure if they're worth the money for cleanliness or longevity, but nobody really needs an excuse to enjoy a fun option.

I've often wondered if they'd survive a washboard road and general off-pavement conditions over long runs. That drop in mass would be very nice out there; it would widen the "sweet spot" when it comes to one's appropriate harmonic velocity.

If they're bigger, though, it limits wheel choices. You're stuck with whatever will fit around the braking system.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 306 Likes on 225 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by blueman
Every passenger is going to slam them, anyway, and I personally don't see the utility. Some people find it fascinating, but I've never really understood why.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with people who might have physical ailments, but I'm pretty banged up now and I still don't see the point. Maybe I'm missing that point entirely.
Not for any disability, just for coolness. You tell passengers to close the doors like a kitchen cabinet and they won't slam them. Then they ooh and aah. No more having to unlock the car you just parked because a door wasn't latched completely. They seal better. And that bank vault feel is a key part of the classic Mercedes experience. Like I said, you get so used to this experience when you own an S-class, it's something you don't want to give up in other models. Slamming your car door is so Ford.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by blueman
I think they should come with a briefing from one of the techs explaining the differences. I know two people who have them on personal cars, and they're not really up to speed on what they do or how to inspect them.

They're different than iron, in that regard.

Depending on the increase in diameter, they can also be much lighter; reducing unsprung mass dramatically. Actual braking improvements are really only going to occur upon descending an array of nasty switchbacks or similar conditions on the street; but brakes ain't all about brakes.

I'm not sure if they're worth the money for cleanliness or longevity, but nobody really needs an excuse to enjoy a fun option.

I've often wondered if they'd survive a washboard road and general off-pavement conditions over long runs. That drop in mass would be very nice out there; it would widen the "sweet spot" when it comes to one's appropriate harmonic velocity.

If they're bigger, though, it limits wheel choices. You're stuck with whatever will fit around the braking system.
Impressive memo about possible differences and cost, however have a simple question: have you ever tried these brakes/ speaking from experience?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by whoover
Not for any disability, just for coolness. You tell passengers to close the doors like a kitchen cabinet and they won't slam them. Then they ooh and aah. No more having to unlock the car you just parked because a door wasn't latched completely. They seal better. And that bank vault feel is a key part of the classic Mercedes experience. Like I said, you get so used to this experience when you own an S-class, it's something you don't want to give up in other models. Slamming your car door is so Ford.
As someone that has the soft close doors on my E63, I don't see how they seal any better or feel any more "bank vault" like. Once shut, they are exactly the same as an non-soft close option door. My understanding is that the only difference is the electric mechanism fully closes a not fully closed door. On many other Mercedes, I think it's a great option because the level of force needed to fully close other models is high enough that on occasion, the door doesn't fully shut. My E63 (and most others), is not one of those models. The doors shuts so easily that you have to try to intentionally not fully shut the door and even then, it usually fully shuts. Thus making the soft close feature nearly ever used. It is a fairly cheap option so if in doubt, check the box LOL.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
As someone that has the soft close doors on my E63, I don't see how they seal any better or feel any more "bank vault" like. Once shut, they are exactly the same as an non-soft close option door. My understanding is that the only difference is the electric mechanism fully closes a not fully closed door. On many other Mercedes, I think it's a great option because the level of force needed to fully close other models is high enough that on occasion, the door doesn't fully shut. My E63 (and most others), is not one of those models. The doors shuts so easily that you have to try to intentionally not fully shut the door and even then, it usually fully shuts. Thus making the soft close feature nearly ever used. It is a fairly cheap option so if in doubt, check the box LOL.
Yes and Yes!
BTW, W213 doors close much better than W212.

At the end, this is personal: buying a luxury car like S-class, vs sport car....
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 PM

2018 E63S
Yes and Yes!
BTW, W213 doors close much better than W212.

At the end, this is personal: buying a luxury car like S-class, vs sport car....
Agreed, it's personal preference.

For the record, I like soft close doors as a feature. It's just somewhat useless on the W213 E63. Also, the term "soft close" is a bit misleading IMO. It's not like a soft close kitchen cabinet that dampens the shutting action. The "soft close" on cars do no such thing so there's nothing preventing someone from slamming the door. All it does is shut a not fully closed door and only if it has half way latched.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Agreed, you can still slam a door if you want. Typically that's what happens with passengers who aren't used to the car.

But, slamming is necessary even without the soft close option. They showed us during the factory how the car has vents that let the air out when you close the door so you aren't trying to overcome the increased pressure like you do in non-vented cars. No brief pressure spike for the passengers in the car as a result of a door slam either. As a result, the closing force is fairly light.

I for one am pleased with the option. I can close the door with a normal to light push and it will close solidly. Or if I desire I can close it very lightly and give a slight push to engage the first clink and then the door does the rest.

Will add the option again on the next car I buy.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Better seal is because of the operation I described. Watch carefully and you'll see it sets the door seals by compressing them 2 mm before moving the door outward again to just flush. This provides the optimum preload consistently, for better sealing and longer seal life.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Better seal is because of the operation I described. Watch carefully and you'll see it sets the door seals by compressing them 2 mm before moving the door outward again to just flush. This provides the optimum preload consistently, for better sealing and longer seal life.
Do we know that regular door (when closing manually) does not compress seals before resting in its final position?
Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 PM

2018 E63S
Closing the door without utilizing the "soft close" mechanism does the same thing (just faster). However, "compressing" the door seals does not "improve" the seal.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I wished I had picked the upgraded stereo (but doesn’t it take up more trunk space?). I also really like my black piano lacquer heated steering wheel and I “assume” the acoustic package helps a lot.
GL.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I wished I had picked the upgraded stereo (but doesn’t it take up more trunk space?). I also really like my black piano lacquer heated steering wheel and I “assume” the acoustic package helps a lot.
GL.
The 3-D Burmester takes up about three inches of width on the left side of the trunk. You also lose a storage area. I find the trunk big enough with the small loss.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
So much this!! If you can spare the coin, and it’s a lot of coin, I’d spring for the CCB. The brake dust issue is such a huge pain in the butt, it’s really a never ending labor of hate/love. The care will look great even after spending a couple of hours detailing, and the. You’ll get within 3 feet of the wheels, and you’ll see it. I have not owned CCBs but after my two current (steel brake) AMGs, I have sworn to check the option on any future higher end car I buy if available.

Porsche apparently came up with a mid range brake option that’s half the cost, that’s supposed to significantly reduce brake dust. It’s like a coated brake caliper option. Have not seen it in real life yet.

Don’t get CCBs if you’re gonna track it though. Performance will be better for sure, but it’ll be one heck of an expensive track consumable.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63S Wagon
After market brakes

Originally Posted by Dunga
So much this!! If you can spare the coin, and it’s a lot of coin, I’d spring for the CCB. The brake dust issue is such a huge pain in the butt, it’s really a never ending labor of hate/love. The care will look great even after spending a couple of hours detailing, and the. You’ll get within 3 feet of the wheels, and you’ll see it. I have not owned CCBs but after my two current (steel brake) AMGs, I have sworn to check the option on any future higher end car I buy if available.

Porsche apparently came up with a mid range brake option that’s half the cost, that’s supposed to significantly reduce brake dust. It’s like a coated brake caliper option. Have not seen it in real life yet.

Don’t get CCBs if you’re gonna track it though. Performance will be better for sure, but it’ll be one heck of an expensive track consumable.
Another option is to order regular brakes and have them replaced by after market brakes that are low dust (even before the originals wear out). ~$1000
I am in the process of doing that now.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by GermanMIA
Did they give you a 2019 or 2020 model as a loaner?
Sorry for the late reply, it is a 2019 sedan, but it has the drive unit buttoms on the steering wheel.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Sixpaqs said:
Picked up my ED E63 loaner today

Not true?
At the factory in Sindelfingen, not at my dealer in US. Sorry for not clarifying
The following users liked this post:
6G Schnell (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:53 PM

Dinamica Steering Wheel

The car I am using now has the Dinamica steering wheel. I don’t like it at all. I can’t help but think it will be pretty nasty to touch in two years time. Glad I chose the full leather wheel.

I have been holding myself to 140 kph on the Autobahn as it is still in the break in period, but the torque is monstrous and the brakes are amazing. Handling in the mountains is wonderful. I am loving this car.
The following users liked this post:
b0rderman (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Sixpaqs
The car I am using now has the Dinamica steering wheel. I don’t like it at all. I can’t help but think it will be pretty nasty to touch in two years time. Glad I chose the full leather wheel.

I have been holding myself to 140 kph on the Autobahn as it is still in the break in period, but the torque is monstrous and the brakes are amazing. Handling in the mountains is wonderful. I am loving this car.
Congrats, and have fun! Pics, please!

My story with dinamica: Thought order was for Full Leather steering wheel. However, discovered the leather/dinamica at the time of delivery. Hate it...

Complained vigorously to my dealer and they really wanted to help. Tried to order the full leather steering wheel for me. Finally, it turns out one can get full leather only with the red 12 o'clock mark. I have silver, and the answer is black leather/silver comes with dinamica only.

Believe that part of the confusion is caused by MBUSA configurator: ordered in February 2019 while they were still showing 2018 model, and full leather was available. Same combo was after 2019 configurator was brought up (promptly??!!) in March 2019.

Suggest checking your order: does it have L6J, or L6K for the steering wheel?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 Order - Am I missing any options?