W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

E63S Suspension Lift? All Terrain Conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500
E63S Suspension Lift? All Terrain Conversion?

I'm one of those guys that takes everything off the beaten path, and Mercedes is tempting me with their AMG wagon.

I know there is an "all terrain" version of the E Class wagon sold overseas, the normal wagon, and I'm aware of the RennTech suspension module, as well as the new GLE with... Obscene levels of suspension fun. Indeed, that bouncing could be the best sand feature I've ever seen.

It seems difficult to believe Mercedes has spent the money to develop three different incompatible suspension systems and chassis layouts, but I honestly can't find the information I want.

Every time I try to search the web, I end up with G Wagon stuff; and nobody's been able to answer the questions yet.

So, what I want to know:

Do the stock bags have a high enough volume to reach the "All Terrain" height? You can lower a bag all you want, but raising it is another story entirely. Every unit has a limit.

If so, does anyone suspect that RennTech module will allow such nonsense?

On a completely ridiculous note, would there be a way to get that suspension moving like the new GLE?

In the past, I've driven Mercedes cars in pretty arduous environments; having traveled rather extensively. I'm hoping the new stuff will take a beating, as well. If it does, and if it's got good climate control and is comfortable... Mercedes has sold me a car.

This is what happens when I end up with a Ford GT... I'm sure you can imagine what I'll try in an AWD wagon:

Not too impressive at all, but it's not as if I had much clearance to work with. It did well in general off-pavement conditions, though.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:52 AM

2000 S500
RennTech responded in a very thorough and fast manner, going so far as to provide dead on horizontal shots from all applicable points of view at several heights, as well as illustrate what they consider the safe and tolerable limits of the factory bags. Springs, I suppose I should call them.

That was an amazing customer experience; especially given I don't own the car yet, and It looks like the wagon isn't afraid to go for a bit of ground clearance.

I'm still interested in going beyond those limits, though. That would mean changing to springs with a higher volume or pressure capacity, and I suspect that's what they've done on the All Terrain variant unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM

2000 S500
Does anyone know if the All Terrain variant that's sold in Europe uses the same air springs?

I'm wondering if it's just the added off-pavement program and different values, or if there is an actual hardware difference.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by blueman
Does anyone know if the All Terrain variant that's sold in Europe uses the same air springs?

I'm wondering if it's just the added off-pavement program and different values, or if there is an actual hardware difference.
Someone should be able to look in a parts dept computer in a market where the AT is sold and see if the spring part numbers are the same.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:25 PM

2000 S500
Originally Posted by Carac
Someone should be able to look in a parts dept computer in a market where the AT is sold and see if the spring part numbers are the same.
That's my next move, but it might not just be the springs in question. Hopefully someone is very familiar with the system

That afteremarket module seems to allow raising it a suitable amount, but if there is another inch or so to be had, I'll certainly go after it.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s
(Edit: I didn't notice your self reply that you already knew this)

Here’s how high the “lowering” module can go.

https://imgur.com/a/fMRJwet

Last edited by 93VR6; 02-01-2020 at 08:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
b0rderman (02-01-2020)