Steering wheel tear and wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
Steering wheel tear and wear

Hi all.

I have an issue with the steering wheel, leather is coming off it.

At approximately 15k miles I've noticed white part of the steering wheel is getting some damage and back in August I went for service B and bring it to service adviser attention. A few days later service adviser told me they had regional MB service representative at the site and he/she recognized it as normal tear and wear. I was okay with that.

Yesterday I've noticed wheel's leatter is getting even more damage (see attached picture).

I've sent an email to MB of USA and got a callback today and a lady told me they will contact my dealership to follow up about that and will come back later with more information.

So, the question is does anyone experiencing the same issue with the steering wheel?

I had many cars and have never seen the same issue even on a car that I used for 120k miles.

I'm at 22k miles now and this is really frustruating MB has this issue.

Any thoughts guys?

I will update the thread as soon as I will get more info.

Last edited by Mandarin; 10-24-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
That might be difficult to claim as warranty because it looks like something scraped that area rather than typical normal wear. I say that because every other part of the leather visible in your image is perfect. No sign of wear anywhere else.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
BTW, I have the same wheel with Dinamica and the white center stripe. I'm at a little over 12K and I do not have any wear on my wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by BC-2:
Mandarin (10-24-2019), NewYorker555 (11-08-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:28 PM

e63s
Originally Posted by BC-2
That might be difficult to claim as warranty because it looks like something scraped that area rather than typical normal wear. I say that because every other part of the leather visible in your image is perfect. No sign of wear anywhere else.
Yeah, I know but the weird thing is I barely use this part of the wheel only when maneuvering. I know people who have the same issue with that white part and I can accept it but other napa leather should not get that type of damage. I will post an additional picture later and you will see there is more wear of napa leather around which I consider as a normal...

Anyway, thank you for sharing!
Old 10-24-2019, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Mandarin
Hi all.

I have an issue with the steering wheel, leather is coming off it.

At approximately 15k miles I've noticed white part of the steering wheel is getting some damage and back in August I went for service B and bring it to service adviser attention. A few days later service adviser told me they had regional MB service representative at the site and he/she recognized it as normal tear and wear. I was okay with that.

Yesterday I've noticed wheel's leatter is getting even more damage (see attached picture).

I've sent an email to MB of USA and got a callback today and a lady told me they will contact my dealership to follow up about that and will come back later with more information.

So, the question is does anyone experiencing the same issue with the steering wheel?

I had many cars and have never seen the same issue even on a car that I used for 120k miles.

I'm at 22k miles now and this is really frustruating MB has this issue.

Any thoughts guys?

I will update the thread as soon as I will get more info.
Sorry to hear, this really looks bad given only 22k miles!

If there is no warranty replacement, see at http://www.leatherique.com
It should be easy to fix if it does not go any deeper.

Hope this help!
Good luck....
The following users liked this post:
Mandarin (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:34 PM

e63s
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Sorry to hear, this really looks bad given only 22k miles!

If there is no warranty replacement, see at http://www.leatherique.com
It should be easy to fix if it does not go any deeper.

Hope this help!
Good luck....
Thank you!

Yeah, I will restore it with a local leather restoring shop it's not that expensive and should be under $300. If the warranty is not going to work out.
The following users liked this post:
NewYorker555 (11-08-2019)