Sponsored by:

Gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
E63 S Sedan
Gremlins

I am interested to hear what Gremlins (problems that appear and disappear) that you have experienced with your E63S.

Yesterday, remote started my car to warm it up. Everything was normal. Car stopped running when I opened the door. When I restarted, I could not select a drive mode. The Dynamic Select switch did not function. Car stayed in Comfort mode. The buttons along the bottom of the center dash to select entertainment system modes would not function. The home button on the center touch worked as did the touch pad. Steering wheel touch pads worked. I turned off entertainment system and turned on. No change. I shut off car. Restarted. No change. Car ran fine but I could not change modes on the drive home ~15 miles. This afternoon, I pulled it out of the garage to wash it (temps went above freezing in WV today) and everything is back to normal. I have made an appointment with my dealer in Hagerstown, MD for next week. I know the ECU and other computers are state machines and can get into "unknown states" and ma not lose that state until after power down and after all capacitance (memory) bleeds off. I also noticed during this weird state that a small, red LED between the Passenger Air Bag light and analog clock was blinking. it is a small dot. I do not see any reference to this light in any of the manuals.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I have owned my car for exactly 2 yrs now ....

My gremlins include:
Happened fairly consistently ... still ongoing.
- radio is on but no sound at all even after shut it down and restart it. Happened a handful of times. It would come back on after overnite and a restart the next morning.
- door locks touch sensor on the handle on all four doors do not work 100% of the time even after numerous software update. I would say they would work 60% of the time and when not working, I need to use the key fob to lock and unlock

Happened the odd time and infrequently ...
- mechanical error messages, such as electronic rear differential inoperative, active brake assist inoperative (or something in that nature), CEL. The first two disappeared once I shut down the car and wait for a few minutes to restart, the latter required the dealer to update the software

Last edited by bobblehead; 12-07-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
E63 S Sedan
I just realized the blinking LED comes on when the alarm is set. Somehow the alarm remained set yet the engine and and car were on. weird.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Not an E63 but it’s bigger brother, my CLS’ Oil Temp will read blank from time to time. Also sometimes on push-button start it will fire up, then promptly die.