Sponsored by:

E63S Battery problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
What seems strange to me is I have 2 2019 e450s one a wagon and one a Cabriolet. The wagon is fine. I can park it for 3 weeks no charger and the app will say partly charged battery. The cabriolet after 3 to 7 days will be getting a battery critical message on the app. I still think it’s software related but I’ll have dealer check it out soon.
thats interesting. What options differ between the two?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
The Wagon does come STD with the rear Air suspension although not up front, I hardly ever hear the pump run. With my 2018 AMG wagon I use to hear it running a lot. The Cabriolet does have a few extra options over the wagon, the mulitcontour seats/ventilated. The heads up display, leather int. other than that not much of a difference. The Cabrio has no Air suspension. It does seem like with the cabriolet after it's turned off I do hear the int. fan coming on and off a lot whereas I don't really notice it with the wagon, maybe thats the difference and accounts for the battery drain. Both cars have the same V6 Twin turbo motor with the 9 speed auto.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was thinking about it, I guess the main reason I have issues with the Cabriolet going Critical low charge is it sits around a lot more than my wagon. The Cabriolet only has 8800 miles on it after a year and 2 months. The Wagon same age has 22K miles on it. I have the Cabriolet on the Maintainer right now as it went low again after sitting 4 days or so and it does not get the long trips the wagon gets.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:12 PM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
Just an FYI, the cigarette lighters in my 2020 wagon are on a different circuit so my CTEK tender needed to be connected under the hood.

Anyone have an elegant in-cabin solution for a tender lead?
Old 12-17-2019, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I suppose it would be possible to take the quick connector with the maintainer and connect it to the terminals under the hood and extend the cord and then zip tie it somewhere under the grill and keep the cap on it when not in use and connect to it when parked in the garage. Just don't forget to disconnect it when you go and drive away in the morning. Connecting to a maintainer every night would probably greatly extend battery life.
The following users liked this post:
imack (12-17-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 12:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG E63s
battery issues

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I suppose it would be possible to take the quick connector with the maintainer and connect it to the terminals under the hood and extend the cord and then zip tie it somewhere under the grill and keep the cap on it when not in use and connect to it when parked in the garage. Just don't forget to disconnect it when you go and drive away in the morning. Connecting to a maintainer every night would probably greatly extend battery life.
I used to keep my Porsche Turbo on a battery tender and did exactly that--ran the cable from the battery thru the grill--and yes on more than one occasion I pulled out of the garage forgetting that it was connected. Luckily most times the sae connector simply unconnected. Twice the battery tender was pulled off the shelf it was on but it didn't break--my garage is carpeted with old carpet from one of my rooms in the house that was replaced with new carpet--sounds crazy but carpeting your garage with carpet you do not care about is great especially in the winter when going into the garage without shoes. That said, now when I hook up my E63s to my NOCO charger/tender I lift the hood so the same thing re forgetting that the tender is hooked up won't happen again
Old 12-20-2019, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya probably the safest idea just leaving the hood open although to do that on a regular basis gets old after a while. I’m thinking just fully charging the battery in my Cabriolet like once a month or so should be adequate. During other times not going to let the battery critical message bother me too much. I would estimate critical comes up at about a 40 or 50 percent charge. Being that the battery is only being fully charged to 80 percent even after an hour of highway driving that is only a 30 percent margin or so. I really think the mb critical terminology is too strong. It should say 50 percent charge and then say critical at like 20 percent or so. Just my opinion.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts
E63s AMG
Was curious if we get any warning messages if our battery is running low? Its winter and its a common time for batteries to die out. I had a few start up where it didn't start on the first try. But no warning message?
Old 10-09-2021, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Ed99
Was curious if we get any warning messages if our battery is running low? Its winter and its a common time for batteries to die out. I had a few start up where it didn't start on the first try. But no warning message?
yes, me connect will send you a message “battery is at critical level”…
one can monitor battery using this app, there are three levels:
fully charged, partially charged and critical
example below

Old 10-09-2021, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Originally Posted by Ed99
signs of electronics malfunctioning messages. Lit up like a X'mas tree. LOL.
I had:
- electronic rear axle diff lock inoperative
- Active Brake Assist functions limited
- Blind spot Assist inoperative
- No ESP assistance
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist inoperative

You also get the battery icon every time you start up the car.
On the accessory mode (without the engine being started), car will turn itself off after about 4-5 minutes time.

My battery was 4 yrs old and it has just been replaced after having the dealer checked over (all those above issues) and confirmed the battery has fault and in need of replacement.

Last edited by bobblehead; 10-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.