CPO Warranty denied, previous owner tuned ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
but you're the guy appropriately admitting that when shat hits the fan you're on your own--- I tuned my e63 and I totally own that I'll pay big for any major consequences ...

too many guys on here saying you're all good because "dealer has to prove the tune caused the problem" blah blah ... Internet soldiers
If the car didn't fail after 18,000mi.with a tune on it for 17,500mi. it's not gonna fail due to the tune..

But if you beat on it like some chump to show your friends what a chump you are and something fails in the drivetrain MB will scan your ECU for launches and rev-limiter hits.
This will flag the crap out of your car and you are on the hook big time..

Moral of the story is don't drive like a chump..
Old 12-20-2019, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
So where are all the PRO-tune guys when these threads come about ... specifically the ones that say the dealer/manufacturer can't just void a warranty if your car is tuned?

OP - I sure hope you get this resolved and they buy you a NEW ecu .. there may be a date stamp on this ecu for the tune overwrite and they'll have to send this current ecu to Germany likely to find out unless they've learned how to locally facilitate acquiring this data ... which I'm not sure why they haven't since thousands of local tuners can do it
very ignorant comment as this situation would have completely been resolved had the OP known the ECU had been modified. Had the OP known, he would have advised his adviser ahead of time and not to flash the ECU. Service advisers are in the make relationships not create enemies. Once the ECU is read at the dealership it automatics goes TD1 if the check digit is wrong and is out of the control of the advisor to do anything about it. My E63S is likely one of the most modified in the country... am going in Monday for my 3Rd set of exhaust valves which will be replaced under warranty as a known issue. The ECU will not be read as that will void warranty...

Last edited by ecampbell; 12-20-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by ronin amg
If the car didn't fail after 18,000mi.with a tune on it for 17,500mi. it's not gonna fail due to the tune..

But if you beat on it like some chump to show your friends what a chump you are and something fails in the drivetrain MB will scan your ECU for launches and rev-limiter hits.
This will flag the crap out of your car and you are on the hook big time..

Moral of the story is don't drive like a chump..
question for you

what if you drive like a chump but not with launches/rev-limiter hits? serious question

like do you think i can break my car driving it "hard" as long as i'm not launching and banging off the limiter? just lots of wide open throttle + shifting
Old 12-20-2019, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
I'm not in sales but I believe the car needs to be returned to MB. I don't think your idea will work. I could be wrong though
not exactly. any dealer would write a check to Mercedes Financial for the last few payments and then return the car to them. aka i could turn it in 3 months early. or they might even buy it out (pay the residual)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ecampbell
very ignorant comment as this situation would have completely been resolved had the OP known the ECU had been modified. Had the OP known, he would have advised his adviser ahead of time and not to flash the ECU. Service advisers are in the make relationships not create enemies. Once the ECU is read at the dealership it automatics goes TD1 if the check digit is wrong and is out of the control of the advisor to do anything about it. My E63S is likely one of the most modified in the country... am going in Monday for my 3Rd set of exhaust valves which will be replaced under warranty as a known issue. The ECU will not be read as that will void warranty...
> Once the ECU is read at the dealership it automatics goes TD1 if the check digit is wrong and is out of the control of the advisor to do anything about it.

>
The ECU will not be read as that will void warranty...

I wonder what CAN function they call to read the ECU. If we had an inside resource, I could work with them to craft a solution.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

but you're the guy appropriately admitting that when shat hits the fan you're on your own--- I tuned my e63 and I totally own that I'll pay big for any major consequences ...

too many guys on here saying you're all good because "dealer has to prove the tune caused the problem" blah blah ... Internet soldiers
what do you think the most likely "major" consequence would have been? I've never heard of catastrophic engine or transmission failure from a stage 1 / stage 2 tune + intake + downpipes. What *typically* goes bad/wrong first 50k miles of a tuned car?
Old 12-20-2019, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
> Once the ECU is read at the dealership it automatics goes TD1 if the check digit is wrong and is out of the control of the advisor to do anything about it.

>
The ECU will not be read as that will void warranty...

I wonder what CAN function they call to read the ECU. If we had an inside resource, I could work with them to craft a solution.
lots of resources....but we take offline.for obvious reasons.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I think a principal point of the original post was that the car was CPO by a Mercedes dealer. As a CPO, basically it was certified that it was in fact a used car. The dealer clearly didn't do a thorough job inspecting the car and likely just had someone check a bunch of boxes to complete a sheet claiming the car was all checked out. They may have never even put it up on a lift to check it out.

They certainly didn't inform the buyer about any existing tune, so how would he know to tell the other dealer that the ECU had been modded.

Bottom line, you have to have your own inspection done because a CPO doesn't confer any special status or warranty with the car. Like any used car, it is buyer beware.

Knowing this, I think were I to buy a used AMG in the future from a dealer, I would require them to certify in writing that the car is tune free and that the warranty is in good standing, and maybe request a proof scan of the ECU.
The following 3 users liked this post by E634Me:
MBS E53 (08-24-2020), Munich77 (12-23-2019), ronin amg (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BS
Originally Posted by E634Me
I think a principal point of the original post was that the car was CPO by a Mercedes dealer. As a CPO, basically it was certified that it was in fact a used car. The dealer clearly didn't do a thorough job inspecting the car and likely just had someone check a bunch of boxes to complete a sheet claiming the car was all checked out. They may have never even put it up on a lift to check it out.

They certainly didn't inform the buyer about any existing tune, so how would he know to tell the other dealer that the ECU had been modded.

Bottom line, you have to have your own inspection done because a CPO doesn't confer any special status or warranty with the car. Like any used car, it is buyer beware.

Knowing this, I think were I to buy a used AMG in the future from a dealer, I would require them to certify in writing that the car is tune free and that the warranty is in good standing, and maybe request a proof scan of the ECU.
ignorant as the poster was asking about the pro tuner people without knowing what he was:is talking about. I stand behind what I said...the mers sales people (except sonic dealers) will help however they can but you have to tell them if your Ecu has been modified. I was pretty clear when I said it was not the OP’s fault but neither was it the fault of those who have tunes on their cars and dont worry about a warranty being denied.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,420 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by E634Me

I agree I would also make the dealer sign something to this effect too on a used AMG.
The following users liked this post:
PaulE550 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
CPO gives you one year of warranty extension that is MB warranty. My dealer also had me sign the CPO checklist showing "all the things" they had done to check over the car. (Signed and sent back - will get copies back - should have kept one...). But - there IS a benefit to CPO and that is the extra year of factory warranty. If the dealer missed a warranty disqualified - it's on them to make this right.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Ya I agree. It should be on the dealer to make it right missing the tune on a cpo car.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 244 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
ignorant as the poster was asking about the pro tuner people without knowing what he was:is talking about. I stand behind what I said...the mers sales people (except sonic dealers) will help however they can but you have to tell them if your Ecu has been modified. I was pretty clear when I said it was not the OP’s fault but neither was it the fault of those who have tunes on their cars and dont worry about a warranty being denied.
I've read on other forums where tuners claim their tune is undetectable, is mfgr/dealer friendly, etc. Funny how they never offer to cover any denied warranty/loss in value. The bottom line is that if you tune your warranty is at the mercy of a sympathetic dealer at best.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
Originally Posted by 93VR6
About 2 months ago I bought a 2018 CPO E63s from A Mercedes dealer here in town and when I took it in for it's 40,000km service last week the dealer called me later that day and told me they were going to replace the rear diff seals under warranty and I thought nothing of it.

Today I got a call saying that my car is not having any warranty work done and my VIN is now "black listed" as they found a tune on the computer, and I have to go through a special procedure everytime I am looking to make a warranty claim. I did not put this tune on the car, nor was I told of any previous tunes on the ECU. (I really hope the ECU date stamps when these changes are made, can anyone confirm that?)

Now I am extremely frustrated that I spent ~5-10% more buying a "certified" pre owned mercedes, for the "peace of mind"... I am now basically out the premium I paid on the car (relatively speaking) and every single time I have anything that might be a warranty item will be a battle to get done. Has anyone gone through anything like this and what can I do to prove that I did not put the tune on the vehicle? I imagine this is also going to destroy the resale value down the line as well.

Thanks.
Your resale should align up with similar vehicles of age when all are out of warranty.
But for now you were sold a warranty from a dealer
They sold it to you.
And should be held accountable. How do the vet the products they take on trade and resell as CPO?
I agree you may need a lawyer and either have them take the car back. Get a portion of your money back...or warranty as purchased.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s
I am blown away by the all the resposnes and help, thank you MBWorld.

I Would like to go down the path of returning the vehicle but would prefer and amicable solution for now, for that to happen I think what would be fair is;
I take the car in to have the tune removed.
I would expect all warranty claims to be covered (aka the car would treated as if this whole scenario never happened)
When it comes time to sell the vehicle I will be re-imburshed the difference in resale value. (I know they probably could if I bought another vehicle from them but what if I don't want a mercedes)

Another question for you all to share an opinion on, how much of a discount would you expect if you were to purchase a 2018 E63s with 33,000 km (20k miles) that has an in service date of November 2017 and did not have any warranty and was" Status 8" listed. (Just trying to ballpark so I have some figures to run by them)

Old 12-23-2019, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I take the car in to have the tune removed.
I would expect all warranty claims to be covered (aka the car would treated as if this whole scenario never happened)
I'm going to need somebody else to back me up but I very much do not see that happening. The entire reason Mercedes flags cars and voids warranties is this situation below:

1. You buy car stock
2. You up the boost + fuel through a tune
3. Something breaks
4. You flash the car back to stock
5. You try to get it repaired
6. Mercedes refuses the repair because they can prove you operated the vehicle outside of their preset manufacturer conditions, voiding your warranty.

I've never heard of "getting your warranty put back" in any of the forums I've read.
The following users liked this post:
PaulE550 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I bought my 2016 AMG GTS with 3,500mi. on it and brought it in for it's first service they refused to work on it until the BOVs and tune were removed.
After they put it all back to stock with a new bone stock ECU they had no problem performing any warrantee work on the car...

No flags
Old 12-23-2019, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ronin amg
When I bought my 2016 AMG GTS with 3,500mi. on it and brought it in for it's first service they refused to work on it until the BOVs and tune were removed.
After they put it all back to stock with a new bone stock ECU they had no problem performing any warrantee work on the car...

No flags
aka it was never flagged

not

”it was flagged and then the flag was removed”, right?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:58 PM

E63s
I'm going to need somebody else to back me up but I very much do not see that happening. The entire reason Mercedes flags cars and voids warranties is this situation below:

1. You buy car stock
2. You up the boost + fuel through a tune
3. Something breaks
4. You flash the car back to stock
5. You try to get it repaired
6. Mercedes refuses the repair because they can prove you operated the vehicle outside of their preset manufacturer conditions, voiding your warranty.

I've never heard of "getting your warranty put back" in any of the forums I've read.
I did not put the tune on the car. The tune as identified by the SDS tool was put on the car before I purchased it.

So I spent more for a CPO car from a Benz dealer for piece of mind, more warranty and what I got was nothing.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did not put the tune on the car. The tune as identified by the SDS tool was put on the car before I purchased it.

So I spent more for a CPO car from a Benz dealer for piece of mind, more warranty and what I got was nothing.
Very unfortunate situation but I don't think Mercedes North America looks at "who did what" to the car when. They look at "is this VIN flagged at any point in its lifetime?" If so, more often than not, deny warranty work.

Honestly, I would just throw a stage 2 tune + downpipes + air filters on the car and call it a day. You obviously bought it because you like performance and your warranty is already f*cked. Why not embrace it and enjoy it? I really don't see you winning this battle. Some punk guy at the dealer didn't do their research and you ended up with a CPO car that was tuned and no longer has a warranty. ****ty situation but I don't see Mercedes North America bending their rule book (flagged car = no warranty) for you because of somebody else's incompetence.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:50 PM

E63s
Very unfortunate situation but I don't think Mercedes North America looks at "who did what" to the car when. They look at "is this VIN flagged at any point in its lifetime?" If so, more often than not, deny warranty work.

Honestly, I would just throw a stage 2 tune + downpipes + air filters on the car and call it a day. You obviously bought it because you like performance and your warranty is already f*cked. Why not embrace it and enjoy it? I really don't see you winning this battle. Some punk guy at the dealer didn't do their research and you ended up with a CPO car that was tuned and no longer has a warranty. ****ty situation but I don't see Mercedes North America bending their rule book (flagged car = no warranty) for you because of somebody else's incompetence.
I hope it doesn’t come to that. I just don’t see how they can CPO a car, add another year warranty and then say I don’t have a warranty at all. Had it been disclosed to me that the car would not have warranty (could not care less about the tune) I would have walked away from the car immediately.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:52 PM

E63s

forgot to add the vin was only flagged when I took it in for warranty work. When I purchased the car it was not a flagged vin.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

aka it was never flagged

not

”it was flagged and then the flag was removed”, right?
I was in for the first service and no one ever mentioned being flagged. My dealer had no issue with installing a bone stock ECU in order to install Mercedes software upgrades.
I just put the stock ECU in when I go to the dealership and all is good. BOVs are back on and I purchased the MB extended 3/75k warrantee ..

They know my E63s wagon has a tune and like the way it performed when they test drove it.
The only issue I had was replacing a front air strut under warrantee with the car lowered, so I plugged in the OBD2 module and raised it back to stock ride height and they installed the new strut..Ta Da

Maybe it's attitude on the part of the owner or service writer or maybe they do check the ECU for abuse by the owner...
Old 12-23-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
I hope it doesn’t come to that. I just don’t see how they can CPO a car, add another year warranty and then say I don’t have a warranty at all. Had it been disclosed to me that the car would not have warranty (could not care less about the tune) I would have walked away from the car immediately.
My feeling is that they don't do much to a cop car, rather than basic research. Slap a CPO (which is a fancy name for an extended warranty) and sell it for a higher margin vs. a non cpo
Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 E53 Convertible, 2005 Ford GT, 2002 NSX
Opinions are like A--holes, everyone has one, so I'm going to add mine, for good measure. This is not a MB issue, this is the independently owned dealers screw up. You have to deal with them, not MB. They don't want or need bad publicity, they need to come to some sort of "settlement" with you. Maybe figure out the time you've had it, the miles you put on, any additional out of pocket expense you had, and refund the difference. Or, find a suitable, properly inspected replacement vehicle. JMHO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CPO Warranty denied, previous owner tuned ECU