Battery Tender Not Tendin'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2020 | 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Well, this thread is getting more complicated than what is needed:
1. Stand by was not the question here, so why would we introduce a new variable we know nothing about?
2. General description of what might be going on with communication module does not help. And BTW, there are 24 hours in a day, not 20.
3. Not sure why are we going in circles instead of getting the actual technical data?

Let me clarify, just in case. We need a single number, or a range to answer what is the current drain for the specific scenario we defined.
Every piece of electronics/communication equipment has quite a few specs about current and power consumption:
IccMAX, PowerMAX, Icc standby, Power standby and so on...

Lots of folks here have access to the relevant documentation. Please speak up......
Not sure if you really don't understand or are just trolling. Standby is the only published statement about quiescent battery draw: it's high because of the online services ("Mercedes Me") and there's a way to turn it off. It's not another variable. It's the evidence that this is why a sitting car has significant power consumption. (A few posts ago, you stated "Don’t believe there is any significant current draw due to “Mercedes me” communicating with the mother ship.") If you still feel that way, I have nothing to add.

You also insist that the HERMES module (which does the cellular communication that we're talking about) will have a single published power consumption spec. Point me to that spec for a cell phone! Because power usage is so dependent on what the phone is doing, where it is with respect to a cell tower, whether it's shielded by buildings or clear path to the tower, it's going to be a very wide range. HERMES is just a cell phone. Nobody will have a single current draw for it.
Old 03-17-2020 | 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by whoover
Not sure if you really don't understand or are just trolling. Standby is the only published statement about quiescent battery draw: it's high because of the online services ("Mercedes Me") and there's a way to turn it off. It's not another variable. It's the evidence that this is why a sitting car has significant power consumption. (A few posts ago, you stated "Don’t believe there is any significant current draw due to “Mercedes me” communicating with the mother ship.") If you still feel that way, I have nothing to add.

You also insist that the HERMES module (which does the cellular communication that we're talking about) will have a single published power consumption spec. Point me to that spec for a cell phone! Because power usage is so dependent on what the phone is doing, where it is with respect to a cell tower, whether it's shielded by buildings or clear path to the tower, it's going to be a very wide range. HERMES is just a cell phone. Nobody will have a single current draw for it.
Why do you keep posting speculations?

Was hoping somebody with technical knowledge could educate us........
Old 03-17-2020 | 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Why do you keep posting speculations?

Was hoping somebody with technical knowledge could educate us........
Trolling for sure. If 50 years in the telecommunications industry doesn't count as technical knowledge, I respectfully bow out.
The following users liked this post:
ALANADELMAN (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020 | 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by whoover
Trolling for sure. If 50 years in the telecommunications industry doesn't count as technical knowledge, I respectfully bow out.
Cool, appreciate kind reply and glad to hear we have comms expert here.

This is the great opportunity to prove your expertise: please give us the numbers we've been asking for...
or if you cannot give the relevant technical info then you are nothing but the troll ...