W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else sometimes have it skip a gear in Manual shifting mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Anybody else sometimes have it skip a gear in Manual shifting mode?

not a super huge deal, just curious if it is just me

usually happens at lower speeds, not wide open throttle or anything

will be in 2nd gear, maybe go over a speedbump or something, just autoskips to 3rd
Old 09-01-2020, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
not a super huge deal, just curious if it is just me

usually happens at lower speeds, not wide open throttle or anything

will be in 2nd gear, maybe go over a speedbump or something, just autoskips to 3rd
I'm not sure if it was a gear skip but i had a couple situations where the tranny hesitated shifting while in manual mode. First time it happened, I unintentionally redlined it because it didn't shift when i wanted. Second time it happened, it hesitated and when i kept tapping the gear up paddle it didn't do anything, but a few seconds later it seemed to shift up several gears like a delayed reaction. Not sure if this is a similar situation you had. I took it into the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the problem but updated the tranny software and i haven't seen any issue since then.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by dragoon101
I'm not sure if it was a gear skip but i had a couple situations where the tranny hesitated shifting while in manual mode. First time it happened, I unintentionally redlined it because it didn't shift when i wanted. Second time it happened, it hesitated and when i kept tapping the gear up paddle it didn't do anything, but a few seconds later it seemed to shift up several gears like a delayed reaction. Not sure if this is a similar situation you had. I took it into the dealer and they couldn't reproduce the problem but updated the tranny software and i haven't seen any issue since then.
i have the opposite. i stayed on the old TCU software for probably 12 months. i upgraded to the latest and now when i come to a stop in manual mode, when it goes down from 2nd -> 1st right around 0-1mph, it lunges hard. like it leaps forward lol. this is stock TCU software too. happened on stock ECU software too.

but the original problem, just to clarify again

is when you are driving around just normally but still shifting. so not really wide open throttle

no idea why it likes to go to 4th when you are in 2nd trying to go to 3rd at like 2,500rpm, maybe 3k. i'd say it happens 10% of the time