W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for buying used wheels and tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 11:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
Any tips for buying used wheels and tires?

Hi All,
I'm looking at a few different sets of used (genuine MB) 19" wheels/Michelin tires for winter. Both claim to have been used for one season and their condition doesn't contradict the claim. Is there any tips or tricks when buying used wheels/tires? I'd hate to spend thousands only to find out there's something wrong them like a bent wheel and have no recourse
Thanks for any help.
J.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Is the seller local to you ? If so, then meet up and take the wheels to local tire/wheel shop to have them inspected for damage and run it thru their balancing machine to see if wheels are “true”. You will have to spend some money for this task though. Perhaps, $300 or more. At least you are protected this way

if not local, you pretty well have to rely on the words of the seller.

do note the genuine oem wheels have part # , size and offset stamped on the back spoke as well as who made them. The 19” should made by bbs and made in Germany.

Last edited by bobblehead; 10-27-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 596 Likes on 342 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
If you don't know them personally, don't pay using "friend/gift" on paypal.. other than that there is no way to know if the seller is dishonest about condition of the wheels. Ask for detailed pictures and close ups of tire tread/curb rash, wheel weights etc. etc. (bent wheels will require a lot more wheel weights inside to balance.).
Old 10-27-2020, 01:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz E63S
Thanks for the replies. The seller isn't local - about five hours away. He's asking half of dealer price and reportedly used one season. Tire date code is July 2019; consistent with the info he's given me. One positive (I guess), he's willing to meet me halfway in a very public area to close the deal. I'll at least have the ability to see the wheels in person before paying. The photos I've seen look pretty good. Some minor scuffs on two wheels but no gouges or damage that could potentially compromise the integrity of the wheel. Great tip about the excessive wheel weights. I'll keep an eye on that.

Would I still be protected with paypal buyer protection if I physically picked them up?