W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I just traded in my RS6 for an E63S Wagon......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 01:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes
Couple quick questions

1.I haven't looked through the manuals but I listen to sirius and with the audi I could change the stations from the steering wheel, maybe Im missing something but I've tried all the controls on the steering wheel and none change the stations? Basically I'd like to be able to shift through my favorite stations from the steering wheel anyone know how thats done? There was a side arrow on the audi that just did it, doesn't seem to be something similar here? There has to be.

2. Also Audi had a key slot inside to put the key in a holder while you drove, here there isn't really a slot, just put it in the cupholder if its not being used, is there a slot somewhere?

3. The cracks and pops in the exhaust, Im not hearing any in sport+. Is it only in Race? Is it only over certain RPM? Obviously car has 300 miles I can't push it over 4500 RPM yet but the vids I've seen on YouTube have some really nick cracks and pops and Im not hearing any
Old 04-12-2021, 02:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
S550
Not a '21 owner so maybe not the best guidance, but:

1. On the '18 I can swipe up or down on the right thumb pad to change tracks when the center screen is on the media view. I believe if you set up the drivers dash with the media display you can use the left thumb pad to do the same (though I typically leave drivers dash for car related info). I would assume the functionality is similar on the '21 and (perhaps) the 2 "arrowed-ok" pads on the upper spines of the wheel could be used to control the audio stations when the relevant screen is showing the associated view. Seems a bit counter-intuitive but once you get used to it you can control multiple things on both screens with just your thumbs.

2. No idea on this one I'm afraid

3. From what I understand the cracks and pops are lift-off overrun on the engine. In practical terms, in sport+ I can go WOT and lift of the gas pedal aggressively to make it bang and pop. Can get it to work at fairly low revs (relatively) but obviously higher revs help. My kids love the noises, so I'll get on a long on-ramp and get some space around me, and at about 25 in 2nd (not sure of exact speed) stamp purposefully on the gas pedal and get it to make a bunch of cracks and pops every time I lift off. That way can get a bunch of fun noises in a fairly short distance at fairly safe speeds through 2nd and 3rd up to freeway speeds. I'm sure anyone close enough to see what I'm doing would think I'm a right *@#$, but, who cares. Got to keep the kids happy hey.
The following users liked this post:
dnm4 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 03:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
18 E63S, 22 etron GT
On my 18' there's a key slot on the top right part of the cupholder.
dnm4 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 05:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
W213s
Grayblack it’s right , there is a slot for the key fob , right where he mention it .
I have a 19 wagon

Originally Posted by Grayblack
On my 18' there's a key slot on the top right part of the cupholder.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:07 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by mack1ro
Grayblack it’s right , there is a slot for the key fob , right where he mention it .
I have a 19 wagon
Believe it or not, there isn't one in the '21. There is this weird thing next to the cupholder with a lid you can lift, perhaps thats where it goes? Im not even sure what that is. The cupholders are weird in the '21 not sure about the previous gen but there's 1 on the driver door and 1 in the center console next to the odd compartment I mention.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 AM

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG E63S Wagon, 2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
Originally Posted by dnm4
Believe it or not, there isn't one in the '21. There is this weird thing next to the cupholder with a lid you can lift, perhaps thats where it goes? Im not even sure what that is. The cupholders are weird in the '21 not sure about the previous gen but there's 1 on the driver door and 1 in the center console next to the odd compartment I mention.
Wow, they do like to change things, don't they? The slot in the 2020 (and earlier) is also the where you put the key if the battery is dead (aka emergency operation mode). But it is also perfect for holding the key anytime, and that's how I use it.

With that slot gone in 2021, you're supposed to put the key in the passenger side cup holder if the battery is dead.

2020 manual - emergency operation mode

2021 manual - emergency operation mode
Ivan MacKenzie.
dnm4 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
interesting comparo.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:47 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by CanuckE63
interesting comparo.
https://youtu.be/eFM3CrhKtFs
I saw that this morning, seems like they came to the same conclusions as I did.

1. The RS6 looks better

2. The AMG is better overall

3. The AMG controls are more complex and the Audi's function with more ease lol

Both said they'd take the AMG over the RS6.

Ok so let me get this straight the cracks and pops are when you push it hard and just lift off the gas? That's all?

Old 04-13-2021, 04:20 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
Originally Posted by dnm4
I saw that this morning, seems like they came to the same conclusions as I did.

1. The RS6 looks better

2. The AMG is better overall

3. The AMG controls are more complex and the Audi's function with more ease lol

Both said they'd take the AMG over the RS6.

Ok so let me get this straight the cracks and pops are when you push it hard and just lift off the gas? That's all?
Actually they'd take the 2018 E63S, which is interesting given the harsh ride and older tech.