Sponsored by:

EQ Boost Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 02:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 AMG E53
EQ Boost Question

I have a 2019 E53. It has EQ Boost, which performs very well. My question is simple but I am unable to find the answer using google searches. Is the 48 volt EQ Boost battery charged at all by the engine or just by braking? There is a Consumption graphic on the Comand system, the top half of which shows gas consumption per adjustable minute intervals, and the bottom half shows battery charge % for those same intervals. If I'm braking a lot in city traffic, the charge % can get up to 50% or very slightly higher, but never approaching anywhere near 100%. Usually it's about 20%. I'm sure this charge % refers to the 48 volt battery. How come the battery never shows a full charge? This has been the case since the car was new. There's something I'm not understanding here.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
The primary methods for the recharge is done thru coasting and braking. I guess if you don't do enough of either tasks, then it will never reaches the upper tier of the charge % level.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 AMG E53 Coupe 4Matic, 2015 smart fortwo Electric Drive
Originally Posted by bobblehead
The primary methods for the recharge is done thru coasting and braking. I guess if you don't do enough of either tasks, then it will never reaches the upper tier of the charge % level.
+1
Old 07-03-2021, 11:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 AMG E53
I'm probbly worrying about nothing. I had Service B a couple of months ago where I'm sure it was all checked out. I've had the car for two years and haven't had a problem. Although I have a CTEK charger I'm afraid to use it on the theiry that "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 Mercedes AMG E53 2002 Mercedes C-Coupe Kompressor
Originally Posted by Rich9300
I have a 2019 E53. It has EQ Boost, which performs very well. My question is simple but I am unable to find the answer using google searches. Is the 48 volt EQ Boost battery charged at all by the engine or just by braking? There is a Consumption graphic on the Comand system, the top half of which shows gas consumption per adjustable minute intervals, and the bottom half shows battery charge % for those same intervals. If I'm braking a lot in city traffic, the charge % can get up to 50% or very slightly higher, but never approaching anywhere near 100%. Usually it's about 20%. I'm sure this charge % refers to the 48 volt battery. How come the battery never shows a full charge? This has been the case since the car was new. There's something I'm not understanding here.
Where exactly are you finding this graphic/display?
In my experience charging is achieved by braking/coasting.