E63S brake feel / pedal travel issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLD 2013 C63 AMG P31 Sedan 2019 E63s 4Matic+
Unhappy E63S brake feel / pedal travel issue

Hi all,

I have a 2019 E63s, and a in October had my Service A at 12k miles (1 year of ownership) at the MB dealer (with OEM parts). They told me I had to get my front brake pads replaced (steel, not CCB), and had them do it. As soon as I got them replaced, I noticed that the brake feel felt mushier, required more pedal travel, and did not have the "bite" they used to. I thought the new pads may need to "break-in", so decided to wait and see if they got better. A few weeks later, I started hearing an obnoxious creaking/squeaking noise whenever I release the brake pedal after a complete stop (does not occur while releasing brakes during motion). I used to get this same noise/sensation right after a car wash (while my brakes were wet), but it would go away after just a few stops as they dried.

I have taken my car back to the service center, and they said the brakes feel "as they are supposed to", and additionally that all brakes make a creaking noise (friction noise) leaving a standstill. Furthermore, it has been months now (and almost 2k miles) and my brakes still do not have their old bite (and feel mushy, and require more pedal travel). I have bedded them too (multiple hard brakes from 60-5); interestingly, when the brakes are slammed, they still stop great. However, in normal daily driving, the lack of bite and feedback of my brake pedal really makes the car unenjoyable (and not very confidence inducing...)

Has anyone had this issue, or know what it may be? Thanks!

P.S. I have also noticed that my auto start/stop often does not engage. I am not sure if this is a separate issue or if it can be related.

Last edited by noahe123; 02-01-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 527 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
https://parts.olathetoyota.com/blog/...d-brake-system
Old 02-01-2022, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 178 Posts
Trek Bike
Does not compute, because:
a. Brake pads last well over 20k miles, unless the car that has been tracked all the time
b. Brakes warranty is 1 year, why pads are not covered?
c. If dealer installed the original OEM brake pads, why don’t they fell and work same as factory installed brakes?
is there Indy shop there to get the second opinion?

Old 02-02-2022, 11:00 AM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
Brake flush
Have brake fluid replaced
Old 02-04-2022, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Does not compute, because:
a. Brake pads last well over 20k miles, unless the car that has been tracked all the time
b. Brakes warranty is 1 year, why pads are not covered?
c. If dealer installed the original OEM brake pads, why don’t they fell and work same as factory installed brakes?
is there Indy shop there to get the second opinion?
Unlikely OP is original owner. That would mean purchasing a new 2019 in February 2021. "1 year of ownership" means him, not the car.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLD 2013 C63 AMG P31 Sedan 2019 E63s 4Matic+
I am the original owner. Got the car in 2020, had my service A months ago, not just now.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,829 Likes on 2,558 Posts
2019 C63CS
Something doesn't add up here. With a 2019 you would have needed your Service B by now, which includes brake fluid flush. What's the production date of this car? Service A would have been due sometime in 2020, then Service B in 2021. Services are due every 12 months or every 10k miles, whichever comes first. Service A at 12k miles and 12 months in October of last year doesn't make sense. That would have been Service B if the car was maintained properly. I see you got the car in 2020, but service life starts with the production date, not the in service date, so your brake fluid is over 2 years old now and needs to be flushed.

EDIT:
Just to give you an idea of how your services should have gone. I have a 2019 C63S with a Feb 2019 production date (May 6, 2019 European Delivery in Germany), and I had the following services.

Jan 2020: Service A at 10k (happened to had driven 10k miles by then, so 10k miles and 11 months from production, it would have been due in Feb 2020 the latest (12 months from production))
Jan 2021: Service B at ~17k (drove less due to pandemic, so service was due 12 months after Service A, this one included brake fluid flush)
Jan 2022: Service A1 at ~24k (again drove less due to pandemic, so service due 12 months after Service B, this one included the rear locking diff fluid change)

I also got both my front and rear brake pads replaced around the Service B, but had them done at my indy.

So your car is technically due for Service A1 this year. You are about 1.5-2 services behind. Somebody messed with your service reminder.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-09-2022 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
Originally Posted by superswiss
Something doesn't add up here. With a 2019 you would have needed your Service B by now, which includes brake fluid flush. What's the production date of this car? Service A would have been due sometime in 2020, then Service B in 2021. Services are due every 12 months or every 10k miles, whichever comes first. Service A at 12k miles and 12 months in October of last year doesn't make sense. That would have been Service B if the car was maintained properly. I see you got the car in 2020, but service life starts with the production date, not the in service date, so your brake fluid is over 2 years old now and needs .
Interesting. Is this something exclusively done for the C63s?

Because all of my E63s asked for the first service one year after the delivery.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Interesting. Is this something exclusively done for the C63s?

Because all of my E63s asked for the first service one year after the delivery.
No, that's pretty much universal, but dealerships may or may not restart the service reminder during PDI. If the car has sat on the lot for a long time, they should also do an oil change before delivery, so that when they do restart the reminder you actually start with fresh oil. But the fluids in the car don't care when you take delivery. Especially brake fluid has a time limit, because it's hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the environment. So it should be flushed every 2 years regardless of mileage, and regardless of when you took delivery. This is why it's part of every Service B, which will roughly be done every 2 years if you follow the proper schedule. Other fluids are debatable. Oil does degrade over time, and moisture can settle in the engine and the oil if the car isn't driven, so that's the reason for at least an annual oil change regardless of mileage. Cars don't get better if they are sitting around, so changing fluids is almost more important if they just sat around vs. the car actually being driven. Regularly getting the car up to operating temperature evaporates fuel and moisture that gets into the engine oil. This doesn't happen if the car isn't actually being driven, and fuel contamination in the oil is particularly a potential issue in cars that are only driven short distances. They don't spend enough time at operating temperature to regularly evaporate the fuel in the oil.

Low mileage cars are always a pain to maintain properly as the regular services don't quite fit. I'm dealing with this with my wife's car that only gets driven about 2000-3000 miles annually. It's 18 years old and just hit 40k miles. I've mostly done annual oil changes and brake fluid every two years, but just did the full 40k service as it includes new spark plugs. However, her car is not a high strung performance car with a complicated engine, transmission and trick differentials. Most of the fluids in her car are lifetime, and it has no turbos or fancy transmission. AMGs pretty much call for all fluids to be replaced regularly.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-09-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
No, that's pretty much universal, but dealerships may or may not restart the service reminder during PDI. If the car has sat on the lot for a long time, they should also do an oil change before delivery, so that when they do restart the reminder you actually start with fresh oil. But the fluids in the car don't care when you take delivery. Especially brake fluid has a time limit, because it's hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the environment. So it should be flushed every 2 years regardless of mileage, and regardless of when you took delivery. This is why it's part of every Service B, which will roughly be done every 2 years if you follow the proper schedule. Other fluids are debatable. Oil does degrade over time, and moisture can settle in the engine and the oil if the car isn't driven, so that's the reason for at least an annual oil change regardless of mileage. Cars don't get better if they are sitting around, so changing fluids is almost more important if they just sat around vs. the car actually being driven. Regularly getting the car up to operating temperature evaporates fuel and moisture that gets into the engine oil. This doesn't happen if the car isn't actually being driven, and fuel contamination in the oil is particularly a potential issue in cars that are only driven short distances. They don't spend enough time at operating temperature to regularly evaporate the fuel in the oil.

Low mileage cars are always a pain to maintain properly as the regular services don't quite fit. I'm dealing with this with my wife's car that only gets driven about 2000-3000 miles annually. It's 18 years old and just hit 40k miles. I've mostly done annual oil changes and brake fluid every two years, but just did the full 40k service as it includes new spark plugs. However, her car is not a high strung performance car with a complicated engine, transmission and trick differentials. Most of the fluids in her car are lifetime, and it has no turbos or fancy transmission. AMGs pretty much call for all fluids to be replaced regularly.
Thank you for a long memo, however does not apply in my case as I’ve never bought “the car has sat on the lot for a long time”, or experienced “universal practice” as described.

Few examples from my experience: production July 2021, delivery September 2021, Service A is due in 247 days from today.
The other E63s asked for the first service 12 months after delivery at the Center of Excellence.
And the same timing with E63s before that one…

Could it be that the simple coincidence is creating confusion? Your C63s reached 10k miles one year after the production date. Service A was due because of the mileage, not the time limit?

Sorry, we drifted away from the original question.

Let me ask you folks something else: How does speculation about warranty expiration, or regular services timing wrt delivery date help answer OP brake issue?

Old 02-10-2022, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Thank you for a long memo, however does not apply in my case as I’ve never bought “the car has sat on the lot for a long time”, or experienced “universal practice” as described.

Few examples from my experience: production July 2021, delivery September 2021, Service A is due in 247 days from today.
The other E63s asked for the first service 12 months after delivery at the Center of Excellence.
And the same timing with E63s before that one…

Could it be that the simple coincidence is creating confusion? Your C63s reached 10k miles one year after the production date. Service A was due because of the mileage, not the time limit?

Sorry, we drifted away from the original question.

Let me ask you folks something else: How does speculation about warranty expiration, or regular services timing wrt delivery date help answer OP brake issue?
To be honest I didn't specifically check for my cars when they called for the first service, or at least I don't remember what it was. I did European Delivery with both of my last two cars, so there was only 1-2 months between production and actual delivery. I also never had a first service to be time based, so I can't specifically comment on my cars. However, there are reports from people that have gotten service reminders a few months after taking delivery of a car that spent several months in transit and on the lot. It is also possible that they start the interval at the VPC (or delivery center in case of a factory delivery), because it's technically when it leaves the factory. I don't really know what MB's and other manufacturers policy is, however, as I explained above, it doesn't make sense for the service intervals to start at delivery. Just think about somebody buying a left over model that potentially was sitting around for an entire year. They would need at a minimum a brake flush after only one year, because at that point their brake fluid is 2 years old. So they should have a Service B done as their first service, and the dealership essentially should have performed the Service A on their dime. Wanna bet most dealerships just rather reset the service reminder w/o actually doing a service and leave the consequences to the buyer?

Last edited by superswiss; 02-10-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I have the issue described above with my 2018. I just turned over 16,000 miles so some of the services would potentially not have been performed at my last service if they were figured on a 12,000 mi/year or 15,000mi/year service interval.

As this was my past prepaid visit I asked my service guy to make sure they performed whatever maintenance would have been included if I had driven the higher mileage.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trek Bike
To be honest I didn't specifically check for my cars when they called for the first service, or at least I don't remember what it was. I did European Delivery with both of my last two cars, so there was only 1-2 months between production and actual delivery. I also never had a first service to be time based, so I can't specifically comment on my cars. However, there are reports from people that have gotten service reminders a few months after taking delivery of a car that spent several months in transit and on the lot. It is also possible that they start the interval at the VPC (or delivery center in case of a factory delivery), because it's technically when it leaves the factory. I don't really know what MB's and other manufacturers policy is, however, as I explained above, it doesn't make sense for the service intervals to start at delivery. Just think about somebody buying a left over model that potentially was sitting around for an entire year. They would need at a minimum a brake flush after only one year, because at that point their brake fluid is 2 years old. So they should have a Service B done as their first service, and the dealership essentially should have performed the Service A on their dime. Wanna bet most dealerships just rather reset the service reminder w/o actually doing a service and leave the consequences to the buyer?
Had a number of deliveries both ways (Euro and local dealer). Due to the low mileage my service visits are time driven.

Just to set the record straight, called my SA today and here is the story:
A. Service clock is triggered by delivery date, regardless if it was delivered at the local dealer, or in Germany. And does not stop while in transport from Germany to the USA (for Euro delivery). All regular maintenance work (oil+filter, brake fluid, coolant, etc.) will follow this schedule.
B. Service clock is triggered by production date if car sat on the lot for a long time.

Hope this helps....

Old 02-10-2022, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Had a number of deliveries both ways (Euro and local dealer). Due to the low mileage my service visits are time driven.

Just to set the record straight, called my SA today and here is the story:
A. Service clock is triggered by delivery date, regardless if it was delivered at the local dealer, or in Germany. And does not stop while in transport from Germany to the USA (for Euro delivery). All regular maintenance work (oil+filter, brake fluid, coolant, etc.) will follow this schedule.
B. Service clock is triggered by production date if car sat on the lot for a long time.

Hope this helps....
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I guess it's really only B that matters as usually there isn't all that much time between production and delivery for a customer ordered car. I'm wondering where the cut off is, though, and what happens with cars that are held at the port for a while as usually happens at the beginning of a new model year, or due to stop sales orders or the VPC is waiting on a part. This kinda seems over complicated and is up to the dealership to decide if the clock should be restarted or not. So, I'm guessing in OP's case they decided to restart the clock when he took delivery of a 2019 in 2020, when in fact his clock should have triggered by production date.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-10-2022 at 05:39 PM.