W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Tesla buying Mercedes/AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2022 | 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Tesla buying Mercedes/AMG?

Guess what directions AMG will be going?

Old 03-18-2022 | 07:23 AM

2022 E53 AMG
That video is more clickbait than anything.

But for the sake of argument, AMG’s future would depend on whether or not they were part of the deal. Assuming they were, the future of Mercedes/AMG would depend on Mercedes’s culture being able to merge with Tesla’s culture. The inability to merge cultures is the #1 reason these types of purchases never achieve what was hyped at the time they happen.

If Tesla’s goal is to take from Mercedes’s without giving it would erode Mercedes’s innovation and in particular AMG’s presence and image in the market place. If Tesla’s goal is to collaborate to produce the best of breed, the AMG’s hybrid/EV offerings would gain from Tesla’s tech.

The problem with this type of purchases is Tesla’s imagine is the leader in EV along with the ‘Musk Hype’. The Mercedes image is the Rolex of cars. If you merge these two images, one has to dominate over the other. Mercedes, because they are the one being bought, will be on the loosing end of the deal. If Mercedes stops producing ICE, then you have two premium brands, competing in the same EV space, and one of the brands will have to have the best tech over the other. This isn’t a VW, purchasing Porsche, Bugatti, Bentley or Lamborghini and leaving them alone.

The only way I see this purchase working, without hurting Mercedes, is if Tesla leaves Mercedes, as a stand alone company and brand, and both collaborate behind the scenes on tech and customer base exposure.

I don’t see this purchase happening. Again, this video is clickbait.

The following users liked this post:
Drone_S213 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022 | 09:11 AM
Veteran: Air Force

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
I see this purchase happening in another 10-15 years when Musk retreats from his Tesla Micromanagement style and relinquishes all control to a Successor/Board like Howard Hughes did when he went full mental after he flew the Spruce Goose to silence his skeptics in Congress. Elon then could focus exclusively on Space Travel, culminating in his one way dream trip to establish an underground Martian Base connected by Boring Tunnels. Experts have to first determine that the Planet has vast water/ice deposits below its surface to sustain life and provide fuel for further Exploration.

Tesla could first benefit from M-B leadership in Heavy Trucks and Larger vehicles which would need to transition from Diesel to pure EV anyways in the decades to come. Then with Elon out of this world, "The Company" can more easily takeover the remaining Benz assets and blend the "Cultures" to sustain innovation, dominance, and profitability on Earth with all team members plugged into a common Neuralink...

​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Drone_S213:
0002s (03-18-2022), chassis (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022 | 06:11 PM
SPONSOR

MERCEDES AMG GT, MERCEDES CLS63 AMG, MERCEDES G63 AMG, MERCEDES CL63 AMG
Well, All car brands are headed in that direction but we will definitely miss how AMG’s exhausts growls when those days come!