Sponsored by:

Uniden R8 radar/laser detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 06:54 PM

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
2019 E63s 2023 gle53
Uniden R8 radar/laser detector

Has anyone installed one of these? Hoping for some good pointers before I start installing
Old 10-08-2022, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,900 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2019 C63CS
Not the R8, but I have the R3. Uniden makes excellent radar detectors. Make sure you set it up correctly for your area. If you google it you can probably find recommended settings. I found settings for California and they work very well w/o false alerts. I don't have mine permanently mounted. Only put it up if I'm leaving my home area and go for a fun drive in a less familiar area where I don't know the hiding spots of the cops. Mine has paid for itself already. Don't count on laser detection. By the time they alert you've been busted, unless you are lucky and its a reflection off another vehicle. The only real defense against LIDAR is a jammer, but those only work if installed properly and often require cutting into the grill and such. Not to mention that they are illegal in some states like here in California. The CHP is good at spotting them, which is somewhat easy, because you can't hide them, otherwise the jamming doesn't work.

The cops generally use LIDAR in dense areas as it allows them to target specific vehicles, so that's partly why I only use it outside of metropolitan areas. In all the hiding spots I know here they sit there with their LIDAR gun. No chance really other than slowing down. All my speeding tickets I ever got were in unfamiliar areas before I had a radar detector.
The following users liked this post:
Chewbs (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 10:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
2019 E63s 2023 gle53
Originally Posted by superswiss
Not the R8, but I have the R3. Uniden makes excellent radar detectors. Make sure you set it up correctly for your area. If you google it you can probably find recommended settings. I found settings for California and they work very well w/o false alerts. I don't have mine permanently mounted. Only put it up if I'm leaving my home area and go for a fun drive in a less familiar area where I don't know the hiding spots of the cops. Mine has paid for itself already. Don't count on laser detection. By the time they alert you've been busted, unless you are lucky and its a reflection off another vehicle. The only real defense against LIDAR is a jammer, but those only work if installed properly and often require cutting into the grill and such. Not to mention that they are illegal in some states like here in California. The CHP is good at spotting them, which is somewhat easy, because you can't hide them, otherwise the jamming doesn't work.

The cops generally use LIDAR in dense areas as it allows them to target specific vehicles, so that's partly why I only use it outside of metropolitan areas. In all the hiding spots I know here they sit there with their LIDAR gun. No chance really other than slowing down. All my speeding tickets I ever got were in unfamiliar areas before I had a radar detector.
Thanks for the info! It didn’t even dawn on me to set it up for my area.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
I have the Max 360C along with the zw5 shifters. The zw are wireless and communicate with the detector via WiFi. The heads actually fit perfect in our grille, just a thin strip of 3m molding tape to hold them in place. And because they’re WiFi, no drilling into anything. Also because our engine compartment has a cover over the battery and terminals, everything is installed stealth, nothing shows other than a couple wires running from the grille to the battery but those are tucked nice and clean too.

ediit* the detector also allows you to disable shifters and allow speed reading. The idea is you want to allow chp to get a reading, just preferably not over speed limit. It’s just a double click of the mute button after detector senses laser. So detector goes off, slow down, disable and allow read.

it also happens that LiDAR takes a few seconds to read, and sometimes it doesn’t read at all. It’s not unusual to have errors. The point is, don’t drive like an ****#|{. If you’re a few mph over and the laser doesn’t get a read, highly unlikely you’ll be pulled over.

Last edited by TheVazha; 10-09-2022 at 12:36 PM.