Modifcations to 2023 E63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 E63S Sedan
Modifcations to 2023 E63S

What's up everyone -

This is my first time posting here but I have spent a lot of time reading through this forum and appreciate all of the wisdom.

I just picked up my dream car - a new 2023 E63S sedan. Coming from an E53 (also facelifted W213), I somewhat knew what to expect in many aspects. But the 63S has still managed to exceed most all of my expectations and I'm thrilled with it.

It's a brilliant machine, but I wouldn't mind exploring the possibility of making some modifications to enhance the sound, performance and overall experience of the vehicle as well as to really make it my own if that makes sense.

I'm very much a noob when it comes to aftermarket tuning/modifications. If anyone could provide some guidance as far as what companies or products I could look into, that would be incredibly appreciated.

I've always thought it would be awesome to invest in a really high-quality aftermarket exhaust system. Would this be an appropriate place to start? What are some of the best options available for this?

Thanks to everybody, in advance, for your time and wisdom. I look forward to your responses.

-Derz
Old 10-31-2023, 09:15 PM

Received 117 Likes on 59 Posts
2023 E63S AMG - Grey Magno
As a brand new owner too, I would love to start messing with this car especially opening up the exhaust but all my mods will be visual and subtle for now. Already did blacked out badges, wrap over chrome trim etc.

I value the warranty more over the mods at this point in my life and the engine will unfortunately stay stock
The following users liked this post:
Derz (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:07 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2012 C63, GL63, 1989 300CE
Lower it. This is the easiest platform to have moar low and have it back to stock with a press of a button. Options are:
1. Flash module
2. Lowering links
3. In line stealth module

Option three offers the most compatibility ease and options for MBUX albeit cost the most. I’ve tried all three in various platforms and option two and three on the W213 and would have chosen option three first if I had the chance.

Also, spacers do lots to make it look the part. I also have a Cete exhaust module waiting to be installed but with the inclimate weather it may have to wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by go team:
Derz (10-31-2023), I.T. Guy (11-02-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by go team
Lower it. This is the easiest platform to have moar low and have it back to stock with a press of a button. Options are:
1. Flash module
2. Lowering links
3. In line stealth module

Option three offers the most compatibility ease and options for MBUX albeit cost the most. I’ve tried all three in various platforms and option two and three on the W213 and would have chosen option three first if I had the chance.

Also, spacers do lots to make it look the part. I also have a Cete exhaust module waiting to be installed but with the inclimate weather it may have to wait.
What’s needed to lower it more? Is it just a system flash of sort?
Derz (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 07:55 AM

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts
2023 E63s Sedan, 2020 E53 Sedan
I also have a 2023 E63s Sedan but coming from a pre-FL E53. What I've done is: full body PPF, black badges, black wrap over chrome, tint, exhaust valve controller (leave it open 100% all the time.) I've also gotten it tuned ECU/TCU/CPC. So I am concerned about warranty a bit, but I couldn't not try to optimize performance in such a fun car.

Like others have said, lowering is reversible (I haven't done lowering -- at least not yet.) As for exhaust valve controller, I don't think they'll put up much of a fuss for warranty purposes (others, pls correct me if I'm wrong.)

I do think if you get even just a software tune, if you're getting powertrain work done, they'll either catch it and not honour the warranty for it, or they'll end up re-flashing it and you'll lose the tune. So if you DO get a tune, make sure you know how to restore stock settings (or taking it back to garage) before bringing it back to dealership for any powertrain work.

P.S. They can also tell if you've flashed it due to a flash counter, although I've heard that's circumventable, but I have no idea if that'strue or not.

Last edited by LMinn; 11-01-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Warning re: flash counter
Derz (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
'19 E63S
Originally Posted by Derz
What's up everyone -

This is my first time posting here but I have spent a lot of time reading through this forum and appreciate all of the wisdom.

I just picked up my dream car - a new 2023 E63S sedan. Coming from an E53 (also facelifted W213), I somewhat knew what to expect in many aspects. But the 63S has still managed to exceed most all of my expectations and I'm thrilled with it.

It's a brilliant machine, but I wouldn't mind exploring the possibility of making some modifications to enhance the sound, performance and overall experience of the vehicle as well as to really make it my own if that makes sense.

I'm very much a noob when it comes to aftermarket tuning/modifications. If anyone could provide some guidance as far as what companies or products I could look into, that would be incredibly appreciated.

I've always thought it would be awesome to invest in a really high-quality aftermarket exhaust system. Would this be an appropriate place to start? What are some of the best options available for this?

Thanks to everybody, in advance, for your time and wisdom. I look forward to your responses.

-Derz
Congratulations on joining the world of AMG, you will not have any regrets! This is just my personal opinion but when I got mine, the last thing I intended to do is modifying it right away. Do yourself a favor and live with it for a while in complete stock condition to get her broken in, that way you'll know exactly what you have (and I'm convinced you'll come to realize pretty quickly its an amazing piece of equipment the way she comes). Once you get familiar with the machine, then you'll be able to fill holes if there is any needing filled . . . of course there's the financial aspect about getting those done, in addition to warranty coverage . . . One thing you might want to invest in right away is extended warranty but that might depend on how much you want to modify her . . . give yourself enough time before diving head into mods . . .
Derz (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 09:29 AM

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
2018 AMG E63s Ed1
Originally Posted by LMinn
As for exhaust valve controller, I don't think they'll put up much of a fuss for warranty purposes (others, pls correct me if I'm wrong.)

I do think if you get even just a software tune, if you're getting powertrain work done, they'll either catch it and not honour the warranty for it, or they'll end up re-flashing it and you'll lose the tune.
You mileage may vary and it is dealer dependent.

Some dealers are in fact blacklisting any cars that have had the ECU modified with (they have a bit set that is usually in the encrypted portion of the ECU) which is changed when any flashing happens. Bosch has been at the forefront of security for their ECU/ECM development for a while (20+ years and counting). So keep that in mind if warranty is of concern.

Also of note, my ED1 is at 133k miles. no power mods.
The following 3 users liked this post by figuwx:
Derz (11-01-2023), LMinn (11-02-2023), TugboatBill (11-02-2023)

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2023, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by LMinn
I also have a 2023 E63s Sedan but coming from a pre-FL E53. What I've done is: full body PPF, black badges, black wrap over chrome, tint, exhaust valve controller (leave it open 100% all the time.) I've also gotten it tuned ECU/TCU/CPC. So I am concerned about warranty a bit, but I couldn't not try to optimize performance in such a fun car.

Like others have said, lowering is reversible (I haven't done lowering -- at least not yet.) As for exhaust valve controller, I don't think they'll put up much of a fuss for warranty purposes (others, pls correct me if I'm wrong.)

I do think if you get even just a software tune, if you're getting powertrain work done, they'll either catch it and not honour the warranty for it, or they'll end up re-flashing it and you'll lose the tune. So if you DO get a tune, make sure you know how to restore stock settings (or taking it back to garage) before bringing it back to dealership for any powertrain work.

P.S. They can also tell if you've flashed it due to a flash counter, although I've heard that's circumventable, but I have no idea if that'strue or not.
Personal experience with PTG, I had their ECU/CPC/TCU tunes and due to how the Verstand software works, I could flash all three units back to stock when I took the car into the stealership. They never said a peep while the car was under warranty, YMMV.

To OP, I've done quite a bit to my E63 although 99% of it subtle. With regards to your exhaust, most of the sound deadening is "upstream" in the downpipes. You have two sets of cats that are killing the sound, and the factory exhaust is actually very good "downstream". There are two things you can do to get more sound: 1. as previously noted an Exhaust Valve Module (I have the ASR) 2. Downpipes. Downpipes are going to make the car scream, but will also void your powertrain warranty instantly. For now, I might enjoy the car with an EVM and then move on to more extreme measures as you go.

Definitely lower it. I understand that with facelifted MBUX cars this can no longer be done with an OBD module.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cylinder Head:
Derz (11-01-2023), LMinn (11-02-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by figuwx
You mileage may vary and it is dealer dependent.

Some dealers are in fact blacklisting any cars that have had the ECU modified with (they have a bit set that is usually in the encrypted portion of the ECU) which is changed when any flashing happens. Bosch has been at the forefront of security for their ECU/ECM development for a while (20+ years and counting). So keep that in mind if warranty is of concern.

Also of note, my ED1 is at 133k miles. no power mods.
133k miles, that's awesome man. Any major issue?
Derz (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 02:23 PM

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
2018 AMG E63s Ed1
Originally Posted by zukmeister
133k miles, that's awesome man. Any major issue?

None, just maintenance and tires. Also just replaced all the CCB pads on all 4 corners. 3 of the CCB rotors are still good with one starting to show some slght wear (Right Rear) but nothing to worry about replacing. The m177 is a closed deck block and the bores are hard as heck so I do not see the engine giving me any issues save if there is oil leak due to RMS (keep an eye but nothing has increased). Also i do drive it in the cold/snow! :o
The following 2 users liked this post by figuwx:
Derz (11-01-2023), zukmeister (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E63s AMG ESTATE
Originally Posted by zukmeister
As a brand new owner too, I would love to start messing with this car especially opening up the exhaust but all my mods will be visual and subtle for now. Already did blacked out badges, wrap over chrome trim etc.

I value the warranty more over the mods at this point in my life and the engine will unfortunately stay stock
I removed the lettering on the front fenders, Wrapped all the chrome black, and removed the E63s badge too, I have the AMG sports exhaust which is more than enough.

Last edited by kinnsella; 11-01-2023 at 02:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kinnsella:
Derz (11-01-2023), zukmeister (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts
E63s AMG
Congrats on your purchase.....the E63s is a beautiful machine and is really the best daily you will ever own...it's super fast V8 AMG power-plant...pure luxury...and has the nicest interior!!

If you are looking for more sound and keeping the reliability I would just say get an air intake, and DP's and you will love the boost in power and the exhaust sound with more pops and bangs and keep the reliability.

Unless that is not enough for you then get a reliable tune for easily extra 100hp gain.

Other mod is a must is the lowering module for $590 USD and you can lower your car more in seconds using the big screen!!! Enjoy there is lots of mods for this beast with lots of good information here.
Derz (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 596 Likes on 342 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Get the lowering module to dial in ride height to your desire on the fly, ECU/CPC tune puts these cars in a nice power/tq bracket while being reliable, and the CPC will allow you to keep valves open 100% of the time for the more sound problem.

You could also do catless downpipes if you really want to uncork the 4.0.
Derz (11-01-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
You'll hear a lot about warranty and tunes. Typically dealers will ignore tunes (hear no evil, see no evil). However if you have a major event, IE an engine failure, they will check and you can be sure that MB will deny any warranty repair. There was a member here a while back that had a tune and got into a pissing contest with the dealer. Ended up being black listed by MB - all warranty claims denied. Just be aware that mods basically mean you're taking the risk and MB no longer is. Before you do a tune price out a complete engine replacement and then decide if it is worth it to you.
The following 5 users liked this post by TugboatBill:
Derz (11-02-2023), figuwx (11-02-2023), I.T. Guy (11-02-2023), LMinn (11-02-2023), sixfive (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 11:02 AM
SPONSOR

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
We have carbon fiber aero for your vehicle, shoot us an email if you're interested.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Start with a tune, then go for down pipes.
Lowering module would make the car have a better stance.
Derz (11-02-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Gents I see a lot of reply's suggestion exhaust module to keep the valves open all the time. Doesnt the little exhaust button in the cabin or putting it S+ do that automatically?
Old 11-07-2023, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Gents I see a lot of reply's suggestion exhaust module to keep the valves open all the time. Doesnt the little exhaust button in the cabin or putting it S+ do that automatically?
Not really, the valves open further dependent on revs, I can't remember the exact numbers but I think 100% is at around 5k rpm's. That's way too high dog. I want them open at idle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cylinder Head:
graphitegreyamg (11-10-2023), ska597 (11-09-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 W212 E63s, 2018 W213 E63s Edition 1
The car looks great in this photo! Which company did you purchase your lowering module from? If you have spacers, from which company? Thanks in advance!!!