Sponsored by:

New Owner of 2020 E53 - Conect Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 02:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
New Owner of 2020 E53 - Conect Problems

I'm pretty pumped, have myself a virtually fully equipped 2020 E53. Picked it up on Thursday, fantastic car.

Being impatient self, I was patiently awaiting the Mercedes Me functions to come through, I waited a couple days, and nothing was happening, so I started monkeying around. The data connection (as I understand it) from Mercedes Me wasn't coming through and no updates were coming on the app, other than where the car was last seen in mid January...not a great thing but anyway.

Questions:
1. Am I understanding this correctly that the Mercedes Me relies on a virtual SIM of some sort to give the car access to data services? My understanding from the dealer is that one year of Mercedes Me is available to me as a used buyer...seems a bit off. Car is listed as 'active' in app...19 services are listed as activated.
2. That said data services should allow you to use the hotspot to connect devices in the car to Mercedes Me data? If so, are there data limits/whitelists?
3. I've read that the car can use bluetooth tethering? I've enabled on Android 13 with no success in getting the car some data from which to straighten its brain out. Currently the car is asking for a bluetooth connection repeatedly, seemingly due to wanting to get some data. My phone is paired for phone with the bluetooth music checked as on.

I've since done the 10 minute battery disconnection with no effect.

When the car attempted to make data connections it was trying to use 3G on the screen, 3G has been disabled in my area and 4G+ is available. In my impatience, I discovered the service menu...and did a system reset in hopes of getting the system away from what seemed to be a lock onto only 3G service. The only possible indication of some service was that sometimes the manual was available while 3G had a 'limited connection' (not sure if the manual is local or on data). Since that it has not gone well, being Easter long weekend there is no help from dealer.

I waited about 15 minutes afterward with nothing but blackscreen. Took a twenty minute drive, still nothing. Parked, locked and gave it half an hour and the system did boot up. A large number of features were invisible or not functioning:
  • nav wouldn't start
  • climate worked but didn't register on screen
  • no audio, muting caused crashes and sometimes a successful reboot
  • no bluetooth audio coming through, shows it as playing but nothing. same for FM radio.
  • no android auto
  • no backup camera/park assist
  • AMG logo gone at bootup - GASP
In researching this I'm seeing that 'coding' may be necessary to get things straightened out. New thing to me after 12 years in a Jag XFR that was technologically a dinosaur but still a fantastic car. One of the forum members posted that he was happy with this unit:
LAUNCH X431 Elite 2.0 BBA OBD2 Scanner, Bi-Directional Scan Tool Fit for BMW, Benz,Maybach, Sprinter, Audi,VW, Skoda, All Reset, ECU Coding, Battery Registration, Auto VIN, Lifetime Free Update : Amazon.ca: Everything Else LAUNCH X431 Elite 2.0 BBA OBD2 Scanner, Bi-Directional Scan Tool Fit for BMW, Benz,Maybach, Sprinter, Audi,VW, Skoda, All Reset, ECU Coding, Battery Registration, Auto VIN, Lifetime Free Update : Amazon.ca: Everything Else
. I would consider one in the future but have warranty for the next few years.

Looking for help...presuming this is a trip to the dealer at this point.

Last edited by YYC53; 03-31-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 10:12 PM

2020 E53 AMG
No codes coming up on OBDII. Manual says, take it to the shop...
Old 04-01-2024, 06:21 PM

2020 E53 AMG
The Mercedes Me folks were back on the job today, sent me a bunch of questions and referred the issue to their techies to see what's up. All indications are some recoding may be needed for the unavailable systems.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:35 PM

2020 E53 AMG
Tonight the battery was 12.2V after being driven 5-6 times in past three days...getting curious if a weak battery is contributing to issues. Onto the trickle charger.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:25 AM

2020 E53 AMG
I haven't picked it up yet, dealer is saying an MBUX update to the head unit brought the full function back to the unit. I was a bit surprised because the interface looks unlike the current MBUX one when I originally viewed the car. He says that from 2019 onward there are some vehicles with the more modern MBUX system.

I had opened a case with the Mercedes Me support due to the HERMES module not communicating with Merc Me system. It's probably worth doing this well before you take a car in, that support team provides direction to the dealer, and the dealer cannot go about figuring the issue out on their own. It took three or four days for them to tell the dealer what to do on that set of issues.

Will see what I get shortly...