Sponsored by:

Loud squeaking coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E63s
Loud squeaking coming to a stop

I have a 2018 e63 S with 65000 miles. When I come to a stop (hard or normal breaking) I get a loud and intense squeaking sound that seems to be coming from front breaks/tire area. No codes, no sensor alerts and still have 3mm on rotors.

All regular service performed. No mods and no track.

wondering if anyone had any thoughts before I resort to taking it to dealership to investigate. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2024, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Yeah. Typical big brakes noise issue. Try aftermarket pads and rotors as many of us have done
Old 05-29-2024, 04:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,454 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Try brākleen and re bedding the brakes
Old 05-29-2024, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,900 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2019 C63CS
3 mm on the rotors, what does that mean? The front rotors only allow for about 2 mm of wear before they are below the minimum allowed thickness and need to be replaced. Did you mean the pads have 3 mm left? If so, then those pads are essentially done. In my experience they start making noise at that point. Early sign that they need to be replaced and the sensor trips at about 2 mm or slightly above as a last warning. At 3 mm the pads don't dissipate much heat anymore. When was the last time you replaced pads and rotors? 16k-18k is about all I get out of these brakes on my '19 C63S coupe and as said they start to get noisy around 3 mm. FWIW, I do drive spirited and hit up the canyons regularly, so I do frequent hard braking. With lots of highway driving and little braking this can be stretched out, but performance brakes do need to be used regularly and they need to get heat in them regularly to maintain a nice pad layer on the rotors. As mentioned above, you should bed your brakes and repeat the process if you often stop with cold brakes as that scrapes the pad layer off the rotor and eventually leads to noise again.

Also, do a search on here. Lots of recent brake threads with recommendations for better aftermarket rotors etc. at lower cost than OEM. FTC Euro is a good source for the full-floating Brembo front rotors that are a direct replacement for the OEM rotors and used on the C63 Black Series among other models. I and others have them on our cars and they are a step up from the OEM semi-floating rotors.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-29-2024 at 04:39 PM.