Sponsored by:

E63s edition 1 vs...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 04:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG C63s
E63s edition 1 vs...

Hey all, an opportunity to purchase an Edition 1 in mint condition with 30k miles in the low 60s has appeared.

Was basically set on a G80 but this coming available shifted my attention given it's cheaper and more powerful, etc. I've also loved MB interiors and sounds.

I don't love big cars - that's my biggest "i don't know" about this car. That and the fact that i would be owning a 6 year old German car out of warranty, which is obviously somewhat scary. Also questions about the MCT transmission compared to the ZF8 with the CS tune...

I've never driven the E63s, have had 2 C63s sedans and after driving the G80, the C63s felt soo slow. Wondering what the dynamics and speed is like for the E63s. From the YT vids i've seen, the sound is RIDICULOUS but the gearbox i ehh as well as the dynamics. Would love for people to chime in and give their opinions on the E63s, the edition 1 (i think it looks DOPE) and the driving experience. As well as a general thought/idea on where this car will be in 1-2 years from a depreciation perspective? I'll likely keep this car for 2 years until my big promo gets me to my GT3, GT4,R8 or 600LT.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe 2020 E 63 S
Originally Posted by StealthC63s
Hey all, an opportunity to purchase an Edition 1 in mint condition with 30k miles in the low 60s has appeared.

Was basically set on a G80 but this coming available shifted my attention given it's cheaper and more powerful, etc. I've also loved MB interiors and sounds.

I don't love big cars - that's my biggest "i don't know" about this car. That and the fact that i would be owning a 6 year old German car out of warranty, which is obviously somewhat scary. Also questions about the MCT transmission compared to the ZF8 with the CS tune...

I've never driven the E63s, have had 2 C63s sedans and after driving the G80, the C63s felt soo slow. Wondering what the dynamics and speed is like for the E63s. From the YT vids i've seen, the sound is RIDICULOUS but the gearbox i ehh as well as the dynamics. Would love for people to chime in and give their opinions on the E63s, the edition 1 (i think it looks DOPE) and the driving experience. As well as a general thought/idea on where this car will be in 1-2 years from a depreciation perspective? I'll likely keep this car for 2 years until my big promo gets me to my GT3, GT4,R8 or 600LT.
A 2018 car. Some significant upgrades were made from 2018 to 2020. If you are waiting for a GT3 or GT4. I'd just wait. RMS is a possibility on that year car. The ED1 car is nice but probably not holding it's value much differently compared to a regular E63 in the next couple years.

Last edited by amg guy; 07-30-2024 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 E63s
^ I echo that.

I have a 2018, its a great car for me. Its my 2nd car, and I can put 2 car seats in the back. Its plush enough to take the wife on date night, and my wife doesn't mind driving it to run errands.

That said, its a little soft, but sounds amazing (I put an AWE exhaust on mine) and has plenty of power for me. Its awesome that you can flip it into drift mode and smoke the rear tires. Styling is subtle, but attractive. Its not a race car by any means, but it can smoke 97% of the cars on the road. The MCT trans is...fine. Its quick, but not as well sorted as the ZF, PDK or DCT.

RMS failure is something to be aware of, id recommend getting a 3rd party warranty, no matter what. Personally, I'd buy one with a little higher milage, well optioned with a good service history, for less. I could care less about it being an ED1. Lastly, the car has been super solid for me in 18 months of ownerhship.

Edit: I havent driven a G80, but im sure they're great. Theres a guy on the forums here that has both, and seems to default to his E63 on most occasions.

Last edited by NickTheStick; 07-30-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,440 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ons-miami.html
Old 07-30-2024, 08:26 PM
SPONSOR

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Why is it so cheap?

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
Old 07-30-2024, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,440 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Why is it so cheap?

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
2018 on AT with FE package and low miles

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...pe=atmobileapp

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-30-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 09:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
ED1 e63S
As a former W205 ‘15 ED1 C63S sedan owner who upgraded to an W213 ‘18 ED1 E63S, I’m very happy. I got my E63S in June of last year. After looking for a year and a half and losing a Nardo ‘19 E63S (Exclusive paint car, also my dream color. Still stings!), I came across mine with 8k miles on a 5 year old car. Car had full car PPF and I paid $80k. Yes, a year later prices have continued to come down but I’m thrilled with it. So many more features (CCB’s are NICE) than my C63S, plus with having tunes on both cars, it’s nice to be able to put the power down with AWD. I’ve never driven a G80 and I’m sure it’s a fantastic car, but if you need a bit more space (I have a car seat in mine, that was very difficult to manage with my daughter in my C63, as she grew), then I’d recommend it. Yes, the RMS is a known issue, as are a few other gremlins, but I love the look of the ED1 package on this car, especially compared to the ED1 package on the C63S sedan, which wore on me after 7 years of ownership as I got older.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Old 07-30-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
2018 on AT with FE package and low miles

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...pe=atmobileapp
Glad I went back and checked this link! Ironically, he had this car for sale over a year ago and I met up with him to see the car in person. I ultimately decided to pass due to the mileage and above market price he was asking at the time (mid $80’s then I think) and the rock chips on the hood (no PPF). Wild that he still has it for sale! He told me he had bought it to flip as an investor in cars and real estate. Guess he decided to drive it instead when it didn’t sell. I wasn’t the buyer for that car and knew I was even before I met up with him, but I wanted to see an ED1 in person, as I’d never seen one in the wild before and we happened to be nearby one day, so it worked out. I would go on to find my car a few weeks after that when my daily search email came through and a local dealership had just posted it.
The following users liked this post:
Bones (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 10:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 AMG E63s Ed1
E63s Edition 1 came with the harder suspension settings. Essentially almost every option on it.

In the end... it depends on what is ypur goal.

Run into ground ownership.. cannot go wrong with 600+ ponies on tap.

Just set expectations accordingly. It is german vehicle so requires "European" pricing on everything.

Fyi..I am a Ed1 owner with 140,000+ miles on the odo. No major issues...just maintenance and care. Drive it year round including winter.
The following 2 users liked this post by figuwx:
amg guy (07-30-2024), Rover338 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

AMG C63s
Gotcha.

I think i would lean more the G80 route, especially when you factor in the warranty/repair cost vs getting a slightly used G80 with 3-4 years warranty (which is likely longer than i'll keep the car as I have other cars I want - i just want something under $80k for the next 2 years or so until my name comes on the GT3 list or i can get into a 4RS/600LT/R8 once we're totally done with student loans and childcare, which will free up like $4k a month.)

Also - seller won't let anyone take the car for a test drive, so that put me off a lot to be honest. I've never driven the E63s. I gravitate toward smaller cars that are more playful, but most of my driving is highway/expressway.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Received 114 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 E63S AMG - Grey Magno
Gotcha.

I think i would lean more the G80 route, especially when you factor in the warranty/repair cost vs getting a slightly used G80 with 3-4 years warranty (which is likely longer than i'll keep the car as I have other cars I want - i just want something under $80k for the next 2 years or so until my name comes on the GT3 list or i can get into a 4RS/600LT/R8 once we're totally done with student loans and childcare, which will free up like $4k a month.)

Also - seller won't let anyone take the car for a test drive, so that put me off a lot to be honest. I've never driven the E63s. I gravitate toward smaller cars that are more playful, but most of my driving is highway/expressway.
This sounds like a terrible financial decision all throughout. I think you should rethink your priorities.
PeterUbers (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

AMG C63s
Huh?

You know nothing about my finances. For what it's worth, i max my retirement, invest an additional 5-10%, have a 6 month emergency fund and my household income is north of $400k with it likely going much higher over the next few years with on-tap promotions. If i bought this car, it would make me save like $5k per month instead of $6k...

I wanted a cheaper car to, that i wouldn't lose my a$$ on depreciation wise, for 2 years until most of the fixed costs that come with having children are gone when they go to public school and no longer need daycare/etc.

Is that OK with you?
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by zukmeister
This sounds like a terrible financial decision all throughout. I think you should rethink your priorities.
Huh?

You know nothing about my finances. For what it's worth, i max my retirement, invest an additional 5-10%, have a 6 month emergency fund and my household income is north of $400k with it likely going much higher over the next few years with on-tap promotions. If i bought this car, it would make me save like $5k per month instead of $6k...

I wanted a cheaper car to, that i wouldn't lose my a$$ on depreciation wise, for 2 years until most of the fixed costs that come with having children are gone when they go to public school and no longer need daycare/etc.

Is that OK with you?
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Received 114 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 E63S AMG - Grey Magno
Huh?

Is that OK with you?
Looking at car payments as a per month expense or "savings" as you say further proves my point. I won't lecture you further, you got it all figured out.

Last edited by zukmeister; Yesterday at 11:48 AM.
PeterUbers (Yesterday)