W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Front Right Resonanating Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 10:18 AM

2020 E53 AMG
Front Right Resonanating Noise

I have a '20 E53 that I purchased this spring. The car has reasonably worn PZ4's and soon developed a sort of humming or resonance out of the front right axle. It's difficult to describe, but it comes across as a mechanical hum that resonates in and out at higher speeds. It seems to be worse in dry/higher grip surfaces or with the car at lower ride heights. Seems to come on a bit more in straight lines than in curves but is present at times in corners. Probably has something to do with road camber and flat vs slightly troughed pavement. I've a brand new set of balanced tires and an alignment done but can feel it a tiny amount in the steering. The rim was checked for bend during the tire install at a good tire shop I trust. Mercedes also had a look at that rim.

Oddly, I've had wheel bearings and drive joints go in my other two vehicles on the front right, so I've some recent experience with this. I can only presume pothole prevalence is worse near the curb! You can' dodge tall of them!

My concern is that the noise is so subtle that I am pretty sure the dealer will say, 'nope, nothing wrong there'.

I'm thinking this could be wheel bearing, front diff exit bearing or CV/drive joint.

Has anybody had failure of these? What was the behavior of the noise/feel?

Last edited by YYC53; 09-14-2024 at 10:21 AM.