C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Cats & Resonator & Tune discussed with a MB tech

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Cats & Resonator & Tune discussed with a MB tech

A good friend of mine has been a tech with Mercedes for close to 10 years. He works on a lot of AMG's and has dealt with all different types of issues. I spoke with him about my new CLS AMG and his thoughts in regards to cats/resonator/tune.

RED FLAGS
Modifications/removal of cats or resonator is a big red flag.
He highly warned not to do any of this since it sets off check engine lights and may cause other issues with the car. He also said that if you were to take the car in for service that it might be flagged into the system and cause you future warranty issues.

In regards to an aftermarket exhaust, there should be no issues or red flags.

I was talking to him about the motor and was quite shocked how expensive replacement cost is (north of $50k). The motor can't just be purchased in parts, it comes as a complete replacement with intake, ecu, and every other possible part......

Most mechanics and dealers don't check for tunes since they can't really see beyond a certain point. If a high dollar car has an unusual large issue with a failed engine or transmission then they would call over some head honchos from MB and they would probably arrive the next day to examine the issue. These guys have very good access to look into the ECU history and check for timing and ect to determine if it was tuned or to see what occurred.

He explained that this is extremely rare since the motors and transmissions are built very well and almost bullet proof.

He said with a moderate street tune you should be fine as long as it's done right. No race gas or aggressive track tunes.

The CLS 63 AMG is still fairly new and he said in another 6 months is when they will start seeing more of them for service and ect.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
well, our dealer doesn't valid the warrenty for deleting cats because they know if it isn't under warrenty we are not forced to take it to them for service and being raped for service.

imagine minor service ( oil & filter ) for $750.

however if the car is scrwed because of mods, then they will start giving us bad time. other than that they don't even discuss about the mods. they do their job and get paid for service.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
very interesting, I'm sure the tuned will show up to poke some holes, But I've always kind of thought tunes and all the aftermarket go fast mods were/are sketchy, look good mods are one thing, but screwing with all that stuff wiggs me out.......
Old 01-13-2012, 09:26 AM

AMG
so you mean that, if we cut the cat and let's say we make straight pipe by cutting the resonator out, so it is voiding the whole warranty on engine/car?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by 805Benz
He highly warned not to do any of this since it sets off check engine lights
Not if it's tuned properly. See the V-Tech Stage 2 tune

If a high dollar car has an unusual large issue with a failed engine or transmission then they would call over some head honchos from MB and they would probably arrive the next day to examine the issue. These guys have very good access to look into the ECU history and check for timing and ect to determine if it was tuned or to see what occurred.
If my car ever suffered any type of failure like that I assure you the ECU would be flashed back to stock before the car arrived at the dealership

He said with a moderate street tune you should be fine as long as it's done right. No race gas or aggressive track tunes.
He's spot on with this. Most of the tunes out there are still considered "conservative" and you maintain reliability!

Originally Posted by kohjul
so you mean that, if we cut the cat and let's say we make straight pipe by cutting the resonator out, so it is voiding the whole warranty on engine/car?
It's illegal for them to do that. Read up on the magnuson moss warranty act

Last edited by Ready2roll; 01-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Ready2roll
It's illegal for them to do that. Read up on the magnuson moss warranty act
This!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Resonator removal does NOT set off the CEL as they are down of the O2 sensors... only the primary cats would and we dont have secondary cats.

And plus one on the magnuson moss... the modified part must lead to the failed warrantied part.

Some techs in the business think they are god... some listen to their service advisors who ultimately can generate more income or wash it away.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55

Some techs in the business think they are god... some listen to their service advisors who ultimately can generate more income or wash it away.
Well said Vic. This is so true!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Originally Posted by kohjul
No, this most likely won't be the case. It's just a red flag at MBZ. To the others that might want to debate this, interpret it how you like and how your service department works.

The Magnuson Moss will provide protection but when a modification is debatable, hire up a good lawyer. A lot of vette guys know this too well.

If a $60k motor gets blown (highly unlikely), it might be a good idea to know what mods should be done with caution. That's a lot of freaking dough!!!

I'm considering a tune in the near future as long as feedback stays positive.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM

C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
Originally Posted by Ready2roll
If my car ever suffered any type of failure like that I assure you the ECU would be flashed back to stock before the car arrived at the dealership
Also a second ECU is doable
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Resonator removal does NOT set off the CEL as they are down of the O2 sensors... only the primary cats would and we dont have secondary cats.

And plus one on the magnuson moss... the modified part must lead to the failed warrantied part.

yup we do actually have secondary cats

well to be sure,

the set comes like this O2 sesonr/cats/O2 sensor/Cats. the 2nd O2 sensor is in the middle of the cat which is empy in the middle.

we have 2 small cats on each side. but if you look it from outside you will see one whole bumb nick but from inside it is empty where the seconed O2. similar to SLR cats
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63

+1
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 CLS63 AMG
it's all about the tech you deal with. build a relationship with your tech and tip moderately to keep motivated.
my m3 is fully modified, i bring it to service all the time and thanks to my friendly personality my tech has never gave me any warranty issues.