Exciting new BiTurbo developments from AMS /ALPHA Performance **PICS INSIDE**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Exciting new BiTurbo developments from AMS /ALPHA Performance **PICS INSIDE**

Here is an engineering update about some exciting, soon to be released Alpha components for the M157 5.5L BiTurbo & M278 4.6L V-8 BiTurbo Mercedes-Benz line.

ALPHA Carbon Induction system

During dyno testing we found some big HP gains can be made from a custom designed turbo intake upgrade. We are currently working on the final design of the Alpha Carbon Induction System which consists of carbon fiber air boxes and carbon fiber intake tubes that will replace the stock air box in our E63 AMG. These will also fit all other models with the M157 engine, as well as the M278 engine found in the 500 and 550 class Mercedes. In addition to dressing up the engine bay, these carbon air boxes, coupled with the intake tubes, will open up the intake system by more than 30% over the stock system.

ALPHA Boost Cooler Upgrade package:

The high temperature of the intake charge on your Mercedes-Benz V-8 BiTurbo engine is the biggest bottleneck for performance. As you make multiple wide open runs in your AMG you quickly overwork the factory heat exchanger system and power output drops down significantly. To solve the biggest hindrance of power output, we are developing a unique package starting off with an auxiliary intercooler heat exchanger, that will supplement the stock system. In addition to the heat exchanger, it will include a large reservoir to increase the cooling capacity of the intercooler that DOES NOT mount in the trunk taking up valuable real estate or require any maintenance after installation.

This non-invasive, yet highly effective system for the E63 AMG (other BiTurbo models to follow) is designed to reduce the air intake temperatures which in turn increases the HP output of your M157. Best of all it will not require you to cut or drill holes to mount hardware, or run cumbersome lines underneath the vehicle like other options on the market.

The new Alpha Upgrade installs like an OEM unit and will require no further attention in the future. This system is a must for all M157 owners who want to perform basic engine modifications, especially those in warmer climates.

ALPHA Max-Flow Turbine Outlet Pipes (TOPS):

The factory turbine discharge pipes (the pipes that connect directly to the back of the turbo) were made to fit in the tight confines of the engine bay. The biggest drawback to this is their limited internal size which significantly increases back pressure and restricts power output. Thanks to our team of engineers and state of the art laser scanning equipment we have designed upgraded 3″ outlet pipes that are 50% larger than stock!

By casting the turbine outlet section, we are able to maximize the tight space allowed for this piping. By using three dimensions to make a higher volume, straighter path from the turbine housing to the downpipe itself, we achieved the best exhaust flow and power increases without sacrifice.

With a 100% cast stainless steel design they will not only offer big gains in flow and HP but also will fit as well and last as long or longer than an OEM piece. We retain the use of the factory top and bottom heat shielding in addition to a supplemental shield for maximum heat protection keeping this modification under the radar. These will fit models with the M157, as well as the M278 found in the 500 and 550 class Mercedes.

ALPHA V8 BiTurbo Downpipes:

To keep the expelled turbine gasses moving down stream and complementing our Alpha Turbine Outlet Pipes, our Engineers are working on a upgraded set of downpipes. These 3” stainless steel pipes will not only increase HP significantly but wake up that quiet exhaust note. These will fit models with the M157, as well as the M278 engine found in the 500 and 550 class Mercedes.

All comments and questions welcomed

Eric

Last edited by AMS_Performance; 09-09-2013 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMG SK (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
WOW great job guys!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 E63 AMG
Thank you! Our engineers really are top notch

Eric
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP, '16 Huracan , '11 RR Ghost
Interesting! When are these parts going to be released?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
I have the AMS Catted Downpipes for my M5 and I can say that AMS knows what they're doing when it comes to creating performance parts for German autos!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 CLS63 AMG, 2012 Bentley Cont. GT, 2013 Cayenne Turbo
Sub'd!!! Interesting!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 E63 AMG
Thank you everyone!

Originally Posted by E-SICKTY3
Interesting! When are these parts going to be released?
They will be released as they are made. We hope to have downpipes ready in about 6 weeks. The boost cooler is about 8 weeks away. The Carbon fiber intake system is about 12 weeks away and the Turbine outlet pipes are about 12-14 weeks away.

Eric
Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Interesting indeed. Keep it at reasonable pricing and you will have buyers
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
very good to see a proper intake..

AMS i have a quick question for you:

Sounds to me that same AMS DP's fit both M157 & M278 motors, correct.

Do you know if the stock OE M157 and M278 downpipes and cats are the same size?

Same thing for intakes:
Looks to me the intake system for M157 and M278 is the same design, therefore is there a size difference between the OE intake boxes of M157 vs M278?

the heat exchanger separation is a must for this car, specially if pushing more boost through tuning.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
very good to see a proper intake..

AMS i have a quick question for you:

Sounds to me that same AMS DP's fit both M157 & M278 motors, correct.

Do you know if the stock OE M157 and M278 downpipes and cats are the same size?

Same thing for intakes:
Looks to me the intake system for M157 and M278 is the same design, therefore is there a size difference between the OE intake boxes of M157 vs M278?

the heat exchanger separation is a must for this car, specially if pushing more boost through tuning.
From what we can see the downpipes and intakes are indeed the same.

The heat exchanger is indeed a huge necessity but the separation from the coolant system doesn't carry nearly as muvh weight as you would think. The systems are joined by the smallest of unions in the form of a very small diameter tube. Because of this the fluids while connected remain relatively separated and do not really affect one another. Divorcing it from our testing is not necessary and adds more complication to the system.

What we decided to do was to to improve on the factory system by offering more volume and a secondary cooler to help things along. It proved highly successful on the dyno with only high speed dynofans moving air over the cooler. While they move a lot of air they are nowhere near the volume of air a car sees at speed.

Eric
The following users liked this post:
sevse7en (08-14-2019)
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by emericr
Interesting indeed. Keep it at reasonable pricing and you will have buyers
+100
Old 09-15-2013, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
not into it

simply becuase my setups for both of these mods are better and ahead by size and flow

oh not to mention

all were custom made
Nevertheless, good luck with sale and for sure engine bay will look better in CF parts.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
not into it

simply becuase my setups for both of these mods are better and ahead by size and flow

oh not to mention

all were custom made
Nevertheless, good luck with sale and for sure engine bay will look better in CF parts.
Bigger size or custom parts doesn't always mean better, AMS and other tuners test the parts before selling them for sure.These cars are VERY sensitive I know how it works back there in UAE just put anything you might find in any shop musafah and call it a day by ripping every car in the street till the engine blows up, but trust me these parts or other tuners parts like Weistec, Renntech will perform better in the long run because of well they're made and tested so any issue is already addressed by testing them on the shop demo car.

I have 4" custom downpipes coming next week I'll probably test it at Shift-S3ctor Airstrip attack in Oct

Good luck

Last edited by Faris63; 09-15-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Faris63
Bigger size or custom parts doesn't always mean better, AMS and other tuners test the parts before selling them for sure.These cars are VERY sensitive I know how it works back there in UAE just put anything you might find in any shop musafah and call it a day by ripping every car in the street till the engine blow, but trust me these parts or other tuners parts like Weistec, Renntech will perform better in the long run because of well they're made and tested so any issue is already addressed by testing them on the shop demo car.

I have 4" custom downpipes coming next week I'll probably test it at Shift-S3ctor Airstrip attack in Oct

Good luck

well these are for sure not patrols or Land cruisers to mess with. and nothing was made in mussafah and my parts can't be found in any shop (because I made them and not a labor guy in a shop and sold them for me). I like testing and seeing gains were made or not

so these parts on this thread are also being tested now. as AMS said, they saw gains in it.

to make it simple for you.

my comment is: why going for stock design but making it in CF, rather than changing the whole design (at least Brabus changed some in their 850hp E63).

you seem to know how it works in UAE but for sure you do not know me also, do you see me selling tested or untested parts ?

just to clear things up

- first to install step 9 plugs in this platform.
- first to make an intake for this platform.

so, I actually have a thinking mind, not a follower.

enjoy your ride and will wait for your result in shift s3ctor.

keen to see your 4" downpipe results ( is it from the turbo housing 4" ? )
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG 030
Subscribed
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 E63 AMG
not into it

oh not to mention

all were custom made
Please state how your "custom" parts are better in "size and flow" when given the following information:

1. We have not even posted what size these parts are yet
2. Do you have CFD or at least pressure analysis done on your setup?

Your statements are very bold with no proof posted to back them up.

Last edited by AMS_Performance; 09-18-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMS_Performance
Please state how your "custom" parts are betting in "size and flow" when given the following information:

1. We have not even posted what size these parts are yet
2. Do you have CFD or at least pressure analysis done on your setup?

Your statements are very bold with no proof posted to back them up.
1. because from pictures you posted for the intake, I was going this path last year and I have been there and I measured every bigger size achievable and it is a no go especially when going up in intake tube size (from filter box to turbo housing), the engine belt and other stuffs make it almost impossible.

2. yes I do and you will be amazed by the volume , man I wish I had your turbo upgrades, it will sure be something else with my intake

Trust me, I like your products and detailed information and innovation, but maybe I am just expecting more from your company due to your great reputation.

sorry for getting you upset and thanks for your participating in benz mods.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
1. because from pictures you posted for the intake, I was going this path last year and I have been there and I measured every bigger size achievable and it is a no go especially when going up in intake tube size (from filter box to turbo housing), the engine belt and other stuffs make it almost impossible.

2. yes I do and you will be amazed by the volume , man I wish I had your turbo upgrades, it will sure be something else with my intake

Trust me, I like your products and detailed information and innovation, but maybe I am just expecting more from your company due to your great reputation.

they're gonna be getting you up over 800 hp, if everything works as expected i assume......what are u wanting from them?

i guess u can look at brabus and bore out the 5.5 and make it bigger as an option.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 E63 AMG

Would you mind posting your CFD and pressure data?

I am not upset but you have to understand when you come into a vendors thread and essentially state "that's nice but i did it better" with no real proof clearly people are going to want to see some evidence or at the very least ask some questions. Again you do not know the details of our setup as we have not posted any dimensions at all. Nor have we posted the HP gains. While I'm sure you have measured things we are using state of the art laser scanning and CMM equipment to measure the affected area. That data is then fed into our cad software we then can design a new component using all of the available space. We are not restricted by conventional tubing sizes bends, hand fabrication etc. We are molding these pipes out of Carbon fiber exactly to our specification with quite literally no compromises necessary.

Bigger does not always mean better. There are several things to consider when building an intake pipe and if done correctly a smaller version can be just as effective as a larger one. Pressure readings are critical. The design can play a huge role in this. When our product is released we have full data posted. We have installed several sensors on the car and have our data acquisition system recording everything. We used this data to properly design the product and will post it here when the time comes.

let's not forget fit and finish. This isn't a Honda or a Subaru the parts have to not only perform at the top of the market they have to fit and have the finish one is accustomed to when working with the AMG line. We take ALL of these things into consideration when engineering a component.

I simply think it is far too early to judge what we have done with our intake setup when you know so little about our specific setup.

Eric

Last edited by AMS_Performance; 09-18-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 MB CLS63 AMG
Eric,

Whats the latest on the TOPS pipes for the M157 engine? Very interested in them.

Franz
Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMS prices prices prices... Hurry credit card on hand and im filling for bankrupcy soon and i need to get my cls63 in the low 10's before i do so!!! I need to order now!! Lol

Jk but prices please and availibility post soon!!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
in the market for down pipes, but want to see a real solution for the stock bridge pipes

so waiting as well
Old 11-07-2015, 03:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
DESIGNO CLS 63 AMG 2012
Originally Posted by Zod
in the market for down pipes, but want to see a real solution for the stock bridge pipes

so waiting as well
aren't Kleeman's turbo pipe/downpipes solving this?
Old 11-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by alexdou111
aren't Kleeman's turbo pipe/downpipes solving this?
True have only seen 2 companies make the true turbo back pipes klee and weis