C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Wacko non start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Wacko non start

I posted this elsewhere, but wanted my 218 peeps opinion.
Any ideas as to what this issue may be? My 2012 CLS63. Battery voltage good, even with jumper cables on just for a good measure test. The car will not start when I push the start button , but the clock spins like it's resetting, lights and radio turn on, even after turning radio off. Check terminal connection to battery is tight. I did get a check engine light the day before, fuel pressure too low, reset and it ran fine after.. Maybe. I'm guessing the connection to the fuel control may be an issue or the fuel controller itself. Thoughts? Just odd that it would spin my clock, geez. I do have a tune on my ECU, could it be an ecu problem? Wondering if anyone seen this issue and has a surefire answer.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
MB
Make sure the main battery is an actual AGM battery first. You could also check your auxiliary battery in the trunk. Tune shouldn't be the problem and the clock resetting is a sign of the electrical system getting low voltage or voltage fluctuation causing it to reset. I would check the alternator voltage regulator OR plug the car into DAS and have a mechanic check for fuel faults. Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG
Thanks

Originally Posted by 6speeddave
Make sure the main battery is an actual AGM battery first. You could also check your auxiliary battery in the trunk. Tune shouldn't be the problem and the clock resetting is a sign of the electrical system getting low voltage or voltage fluctuation causing it to reset. I would check the alternator voltage regulator OR plug the car into DAS and have a mechanic check for fuel faults. Hope this helps.
I thought the main battery was the one in the trunk? It's an AGM for sure. I am looking at the auxiliary battery in the front, smaller, don't know if it's AGM, but I stuck a charger on it, shows low...
Old 08-09-2017, 06:56 PM

MB
No, the main battery is in the passenger side of the engine bay near the firewall. The trunk battery is the auxiliary. Both should be AGM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG
No, the main battery is in the passenger side of the engine bay near the firewall. The trunk battery is the auxiliary. Both should be AGM.
Lawd, I've been backwards for a few years then. I had a CSL55 and this Car, even started both from the battery in the trunk, and it would start. Thanks, I'm gonna check the main battery now....
Old 08-09-2017, 07:04 PM

MB
The battery locations and sizes are very different from the prior W211 / W219 chassis', yes.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:15 PM

MB
I am 95% confident the main battery is your issue. When was the last time your main battery was changed?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG
I am 95% confident the main battery is your issue. When was the last time your main battery was changed?
Ha, that would be, Never. I hope you're right, I can do battery replacements...any idea of where to get one other than the dealership? I avoid those places. I was just online looking for options on that...
Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM

MB
Do you have Pepboys in Hawaii? They have a BOSCH brand battery that is solid and its less than $200. May even be able to use an online coupon code to save money online then just go pick it up. Just make sure they give you an AGM battery. When I picked mine up for my E63 last year they gave me the wrong one and I didn't realize it.

Replacement is straight forward. Pop the blower motor housing out and then there is one bolt / bracket that holds the main battery in the engine bay. Unbolt that and it pulls right out.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG
Do you have Pepboys in Hawaii? They have a BOSCH brand battery that is solid and its less than $200. May even be able to use an online coupon code to save money online then just go pick it up. Just make sure they give you an AGM battery. When I picked mine up for my E63 last year they gave me the wrong one and I didn't realize it.

Replacement is straight forward. Pop the blower motor housing out and then there is one bolt / bracket that holds the main battery in the engine bay. Unbolt that and it pulls right out.
NO Pepboys in Hawaii. O'Riley auto parts or online, there's a couple of local Euro shops. Do you know the part number or link to that bosch battery?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 PM

MB
I dont, check out their website and put your vehicle info in and it should be the only option in AGM.

I wouldn't go O'Reilly's unless they carry Interstate. Someone local with a good brand is your best bet in case anything ever goes wrong with it and its covered under warranty.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 AM

2012 CLS63 AMG
I dont, check out their website and put your vehicle info in and it should be the only option in AGM.

I wouldn't go O'Reilly's unless they carry Interstate. Someone local with a good brand is your best bet in case anything ever goes wrong with it and its covered under warranty.
Thanks for your help. It was indeed the Main Battery. I got another at the MB dealership, cause not many other options on this island. cost about 310.00.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM

MB
Sweet. Now you're good for another 5 years!