C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Rattle In both sides of front suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti g37xs
Rattle In both sides of front suspension

So i have the same rattle on both sides of the car. I took in the car to my local mercedes dealership and they said everything seemed to be fine. The service tech said the suspension is just noisy and didnt need to be replaced. The car makes the sound when i go over and little bumps. Any idea what could be causing this? I am thinking a bushing or a ball joint that has failed and was wondering if there is a way to check to see if one of those have failed. Thanks .
Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
Struts

Originally Posted by Heyrozz
So i have the same rattle on both sides of the car. I took in the car to my local mercedes dealership and they said everything seemed to be fine. The service tech said the suspension is just noisy and didnt need to be replaced. The car makes the sound when i go over and little bumps. Any idea what could be causing this? I am thinking a bushing or a ball joint that has failed and was wondering if there is a way to check to see if one of those have failed. Thanks .
the problem is the gas tubes in the shock assemblies have discharged and the strut assembly is bad. The only way to fix it is to replace the struts. The assembly may look good but the cartridge in the unit is actually used up. That is the clunking you are hearing. Your MB dealer needs a new tech. This is always miiss diagnosed.

Last edited by 2014CL600; 02-05-2018 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MykhailoM (01-16-2022)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
agree with 2014CL600... find a new place to take your car. The 18 year old kid who only wants to do Services or brake jobs has no idea how to diagnose your suspension concerns.
MykhailoM (01-16-2022)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti g37xs
Originally Posted by 2014CL600

the problem is the gas tubes in the shock assemblies have discharged and the strut assembly is bad. The only way to fix it is to replace the struts. The assembly may look good but the cartridge in the unit is actually used up. That is the clunking you are hearing. Your MB dealer needs a new tech. This is always mid diagnosised.

Thanks for the help. I have watched some videos about replacing the struts myself. Is it as easy as it looks?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Find a MB indy or a quality dealership .. those retards at your official MB can't even use a toilet paper properly.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Not hard at all

Thanks for the help. I have watched some videos about replacing the struts myself. Is it as easy as it looks?
my car is doing the same thing and I just bought it 3 days ago. I thought it might just be the E class platform but there is a 3 month 3k warranty that will replace them if needed. As for changing them, if they are set up like my Jag XJR, it's the upper tower bolts, the lower control arm bolt and the air hose. Once the bag deflates, it will just slip straight out. They charged me 75.00 per side to change them but you would have to buy new assemblies. If I hadn't just sent my computer out this morning for a 135 HP increase I would drive my car over some bumpy roads. I'll wait until Wed when the computer is back and in to listen for the noise. I wonder is all the E and CLS has suspension clunks because of the monocock body and the suppression material isn't quite good enough to dampen the noise. I do know my friends 2013 CL550 is dead silent but it was 35k more money and I do know they use more insulation.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
i'm experiencing the same thing was hoping i wouldnt need to change the front struts as they are expensive and i just changed the rear shocks... but i guess i will need to change them

also have a balljoint that is bad was hoping that would fix the issue but we will find out after the balljoint is replaced if its still there
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
What year and miles?

Originally Posted by amgboy916
i'm experiencing the same thing was hoping i wouldnt need to change the front struts as they are expensive and i just changed the rear shocks... but i guess i will need to change them

also have a balljoint that is bad was hoping that would fix the issue but we will find out after the balljoint is replaced if its still there
what year is your CLS550 and how many miles? How do ball joints go bad so fast? My Jag had 106k miles and the ball joints were never bad just the strut cartridge.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63

what year is your CLS550 and how many miles? How do ball joints go bad so fast? My Jag had 106k miles and the ball joints were never bad just the strut cartridge.
i have a 2012 cls63 i got a bent oem wheel that was causing vibration as well as warped rotors and a shop told me this most likely caused the balljoints to go. the bent wheel was not noticeable at all and the rotors were new so i didnt suspect them at first but im fixing them all and hopefully the balljoints will last a lot longer lol
Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by amgboy916
i have a 2012 cls63 i got a bent oem wheel that was causing vibration as well as warped rotors and a shop told me this most likely caused the balljoints to go. the bent wheel was not noticeable at all and the rotors were new so i didnt suspect them at first but im fixing them all and hopefully the balljoints will last a lot longer lol
Did new ball joints figure this out?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cls63 amg
i have a 2012 cls63 that had same problem going over bumps or bumps in road. it was the sway bar end links that needes replaced. Do not use any after market one i had gotten moog and beck arnley replacements and both had smaller diameter studs that slides into the strut and sway bar.

which eventually started moving up and dow causing a louder ckunk and more frequent. purchased oem one and diameter of studs was larger and have not had any problems, going on 1yr now.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
My front struts were bad

After fighting with the warranty company,I just went and bought new front struts from MB. When they took them out, the oil was all over the tops (which could not be seen with the naked eye, until removed) I took pictures and sent them to the warranty company and threatened to sue them if they didn’t reimburse me. They not only reimbursed me but paid me back for my 4 deductibles (that I had incurred) plus gave me a 100.00 MasterCard. Now the car is silent as the day it was built. The struts seals had apparently burst and the strut was topping out/ bottoming out over bumps. It was like I had constant knocking, even over the slightest bumps. My end link bushings had no play, so I knew all along what was wrong.
MykhailoM (01-16-2022)
Old 03-02-2023, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550 4matic w218
Finally figured it out!

Ive had three benzes that were between 8-12 years old. All of them had this rattling sound. I have spent hours / days, numerous mechanics and hundreds of dollars trying to resolve it. I’ve gone as far as replacing the axle on one of them.

My new badass mechanic put his finger on it instantly. It is a $35 part available at AutoZone: Sway bar link. I replaced both. It took less than an hour of labor. And the sound is gone. Hallelujah!

I feel like I cured tinnitus.

Last edited by Salafel; 03-02-2023 at 09:39 AM.