C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Replace parking lights??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
Replace parking lights??

I've been wanting to replace the yellowish parking lights on my '07 CLS63 with white bulbs that match the factory xenon headlights for quite some time. I finally bought some bulbs online and went to replace them while I was changing the oil a few minutes ago but I'm embarrassed to say that I can't seem to figure out how to remove the old ones. I removed the cover behind the headlight and can easily access the low beam bulb but not the parking light.

I looked in the manual, but all it says is to take it to the Mercedes dealer. I've replaced headlights, fog lights and license plate bulbs before and have even done a halogen to xenon conversion in my '05 BMW 525i, but I can't seem to figure out how to access the parking bulbs....thoughts?
Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55, 2005 Boxster-S
Here's the post you'll need https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...-errors-4.html

Read my comments on last page. The parking lights are a pain to swap out but keep at it and you'll get it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM

CLS55
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Canbus-Euro..._t10_sku26.htm
Old 11-24-2010, 05:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
Originally Posted by tzenri
Here's the post you'll need https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...-errors-4.html

Read my comments on last page. The parking lights are a pain to swap out but keep at it and you'll get it.
That's exactly what I needed. Thank you

I just replaced both parking lights in literally 5 minutes once I read that thread. I guess I just needed the courage to pull the bulbs out a little harder than I had already tried. No cuts on my hands either

One tip to anyone who hasn't changed bulbs before....wear rubber gloves so the oils on your skin don't get on the bulbs which will cause the lights to fail prematurely.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by wasupdu
One tip to anyone who hasn't changed bulbs before....wear rubber gloves so the oils on your skin don't get on the bulbs which will cause the lights to fail prematurely.
That pretty much only applies to Halogen or High Intensity Discharge (HID) type bulbs and lamps (sch as those found in your headlights), due to their inherent nature to radiate extreme amounts of heat for extended periods of time.

What happens is the oils, salts, grease (etc) on your fingers and hands can transfer on to the bulb, which when heated can change the thermal characteristics of the glass. This in return can cause the bulb to crack, fracture or shatter. It's called non-passive bulb failure.

Smaller, or lower watt bulbs are generally not effected by this, which is way you can handle parking light type bulbs with your bare hands.

If you're not sure which bulbs you should or shouldn't touch, just read the packaging it came in. A notation or symbol of some sort (an X'ed out hand) will almost always be clearly visible on the packaging. If you by chance or accidentally do touch the glass of a bulb you weren't supposed to, just use a little rubbing alcohol to wipe it clean.