Need help with 2009 CLS 63 AMG, please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS 63 AMG
Need help with 2009 CLS 63 AMG, please!

First a little background:

Just purchased this vehicle from a MB dealership in another state, they shipped it to me.

19,000 miles, still has 1 year of factory warranty left, 1 year of certified warranty, and an additional year that I purchased as part of the sale.

As soon as I received it, despite it being a certified vehicle, it had a vibration that starts at 70 mph and continues until reaching 80 mph (roughly). This vibration seems to come from underneath the car or from the back, hard for me to tell. It also gets worse with acceleration and also especially so when going up hill while accelerating. I initially thought that it was a tire balancing issue. Had the tires balanced. Didn't solve the issue.

Took it back to the dealership. They replaced the transmission mount. Didn't solve the issue.

Now it's been there for an additional three weeks, and we're no closer to a resolution. They've been going back and forth with "DTS" or Dealer Technical Service who have been advising the techs as to what to do next. Early last week, they replaced the torque converter. Didn't solve the issue. Same vibration. Last Friday, they replaced the valve body, and I have not heard back from them to see if it did the trick.

Needless to say, I'm upset at:

1 - why this vehicle was sold to me as a Certified car and it came to me with this issue.
2 - why it has taken MB so long to even diagnose the problem and let alone fix it!

Also, they apparently have checked the flex dics and driveshaft bolts and I was told they were okay.

Any ideas? Please help!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 AM

2008 CLS63 AMG
Are the wheels fatory ones or aftermarket? I have seen it happen with a lot of cars that the wheels may be balanced but they need hub centering rings. The vibraton from that is very similar to what you describe. Vibrates at highway speeds and more when accelerating. It is often overlooked.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM

2009 CLS 63 AMG
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think that is it, since the wheels are factory.

And it definitely gets worse when accelerating (immediately noticeable) and especially worse when accelerating uphill.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM

2009 CLS 63 AMG
Bump. Any ideas?

Does this sound like torque converter lockup shudder?

And if so, would a new torque converter fix it?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

'08 CLS63
don't know if i can help but...i had a vibration issue very similar to yours with aftermarket wheels (on my 220). your car may have factory wheels but you bought it used and someone could have put factory replicas on the car. the wheels i had were factory replicas and two of the four wheels had a 68 center bore when the factory calls for 66.6. I have a old post somewhere on the boards about the subject. just my $.02cents worth...and good luck! john
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM

2009 CLS 63 AMG
I am sure they are the original wheels.

I am also pretty sure it's something in the drivetrain. It gets worse with light acceleration and significantly worse with light acceleration going uphill. In addition, there is a subtle shudder, too. Imagine driving a straight drive/stick shift and putting in too high of a gear and then getting bogged down with hesitation/shudder/vibration...it's like that, but not as severe.

Thanks for your help, though, housclass.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 AM

MB cls63 amg
friends please help me can I fit cls 55 amg brake rotors with 380mm diameter on my cls63 amg without changing pistons or something like that?