C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

HELP!! CLS55 Resonator Delete/Secondary Cat removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
HELP!! CLS55 Resonator Delete/Secondary Cat removal

Hey everyone, I have a few questions to those who have done the resonator delete as well as removing the secondary cats.. Would the secondary cats be worth taking off?? Do they increase sound or power gains?? They are illegal to take off so I'm curious to see if its worth it, or just changing them to a more sport piece... Should I just delete the resonator and put 3" x pipes for better sound in exhaust or should i go all the way and delete the secondary cats as well... Any thoughts?? Suggestions ??
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
As well does deleting the cats harm the car in anyway?? Engine wise to???
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Well, I dont think adding an x pipe will give you any benefits over the stock system. There is an h-pipe connecting the two secondary cats so adding another crossover point wont really do much if anything I dont think.

I just got my cls55 over this past weekend and only had the resonator replaced with straigh pipes. It really lets the growl out when you're on the throttle but stays silky smooth and quite just putting around town.

I find myself wanting it louder still, but Im not certain if I should delete the cats for an x pipe and straight through resonators or what. From my other builds, I've found that the cats cut down the raspy/rawness you'll hear if you remove them. If thats what your going for, I'd say do a secondary cat delete with x pipe replacement and also a straight pipe replacement on the resonator.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by 1SickCLS
Well, I dont think adding an x pipe will give you any benefits over the stock system. There is an h-pipe connecting the two secondary cats so adding another crossover point wont really do much if anything I dont think.

I just got my cls55 over this past weekend and only had the resonator replaced with straigh pipes. It really lets the growl out when you're on the throttle but stays silky smooth and quite just putting around town.

I find myself wanting it louder still, but Im not certain if I should delete the cats for an x pipe and straight through resonators or what. From my other builds, I've found that the cats cut down the raspy/rawness you'll hear if you remove them. If thats what your going for, I'd say do a secondary cat delete with x pipe replacement and also a straight pipe replacement on the resonator.

So x pipe and straight through resonators?? Anyone have this build?? And has anyone gotten any reported actual power gains or losses from deleting secondary cats
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
If you want your exhaust to sound raw and powerful all the time, Id do the secondary cat delete w/x pipe replacement and then less sound deadening straight through resonators where that oem resonator is.

ALso, this wont hurt your motor in the least. There arent any sensors beyond your primary cats, therefor the ecu cant possibly know what you've done. If anything it'll get you less restriction and more sound, which seems what you're going for. Id be willing to bet it'll free up 5-9whp or more.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by 1SickCLS
If you want your exhaust to sound raw and powerful all the time, Id do the secondary cat delete w/x pipe replacement and then less sound deadening straight through resonators where that oem resonator is.

ALso, this wont hurt your motor in the least. There arent any sensors beyond your primary cats, therefor the ecu cant possibly know what you've done. If anything it'll get you less restriction and more sound, which seems what you're going for. Id be willing to bet it'll free up 5-9whp or more.
The guy at the shop (High Flo Exhaust in Northern VA) said the secondary cats add 20 hp when deleted.. Should I put straight pipes or x for the resonator?? Thanks for the useful info so far
Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
id go with an X pipe to help equal out the exhaust gases.

An X-Pipe is, you guessed it, shaped like an x, and allows the exhaust to flow down the path of least resistance. At lower revs, turbulence is formed as exhaust gases try to shuffle past a second column of gases coming from the other side. While always producing more power than the restrictive factory system, the potential gains are not seen until higher rpms are reached. This is where an X-Pipe stands apart from the rest. Exhaust gas is pushed out harder as the engine spins faster. The X-Pipe merges this chaos into two uniform streams.
Both streams keep each other up to speed, which draws even more spent exhaust out the cylinders.

An H-Pipe is also shaped like its namesake and relies on exhaust expansion to balance the cylinder banks. A small section of tubing in between the main pipes provides an area for gases to expand into during exhaust pulses. Only a small amount of exhaust flows from one stream to the other as both sides push back and forth in the center section. so gains in performance are noticed from low rpm and give the exhaust a deeper, muscle car-like tone.

X pipe and resonator delete =
Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Wow that sounds great!! So to verify.. An X pipe replacing the cats and x pipe for the resonator as well??
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 AM

CLS55 AMG
Just an xpipe for the cats and a straight through pipe for the resonators and it will sound amazing and exotic
Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 AM

2016 C63S Sedan
Thank you!! Hope this thread is a help to all others who were thinking of this set up as well
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2007 cls550
I need to get my cls 550 on a lift. I was told the x pipe replaces the large resonator. Now I read that it replaces secondary cats.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2008 G55 AMG, 2010 Audi R8 V10, 2010 Ford Raptor, 2005 Porsche 911, 1966 Chevy II
Originally Posted by whyask
Just an xpipe for the cats and a straight through pipe for the resonators and it will sound amazing and exotic
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your setup would you?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:21 AM

CLS55 AMG
I have deleted primary cats, secondary cats, and the mufflers. It is loud at any level of acceleration and quiet once at speed. Would not recommend this setup if driven daily.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM

2016 C63S Sedan
Yea wasnt really interested in deleting the mufflers, just resonator and secondary cats.. I will be getting it done Monday so I will take a video and pics of before and after
Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM

2016 AMG GTS
subscribed
Old 08-19-2013, 04:02 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Hey everyone so I got my resonators deleted and secondary cats deleted to.. Replaced with x pipe and straight through resonators.. WOW!!! Results are fantastic!! Highly reccomend everyone to do this mod.. Car sounds like a damn monster !
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by BigBenzoo
Hey everyone so I got my resonators deleted and secondary cats deleted to.. Replaced with x pipe and straight through resonators.. WOW!!! Results are fantastic!! Highly reccomend everyone to do this mod.. Car sounds like a damn monster !
Excellent congrats Bro.

Looking forward to your posting of video. And before and after pics

Any difference in power.?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by C32owner
Excellent congrats Bro.

Looking forward to your posting of video. And before and after pics

Any difference in power.?

Videos coming now, unfortunately I was to excited to hear my car that I forgot to take pictures of the set up, but its not really any different then others you have seen with the same build... Been out for hours having fun with my car since lol, videos were taken from an iphone and not really the best of a video but you can still hear the growl in it from before and after.... This is a mod that every AMG owner needs to get!! Worth the money and even more! No need to waste thousands of $$ on exhaust, the sound this simple mod gives you is definitely unique and exotic

Anyways thanks for everyone for the help on answering my questions and hope this thread is good for anyone who is curios on doing this.... DONT THINK TWICE!! DO IT!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
As well in power, cant really feel a difference although it does feel like it doesn't have as much torque before
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Be...e5ad7.mp4.html

Cold start stock sound with resonators and cats

BE SURE TO WATCH THE COLD START AFTER WORK WAS DONE!!!

Last edited by BigBenzoo; 08-20-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Be...e84dc.mp4.html

Just a little acceleration with resonators deleted and secondary cats(x pipe & straight through resonator)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM

CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
As well in power, cant really feel a difference although it does feel like it doesn't have as much torque before
Love the sound your car now has...highly considering this mod myself, however, the potential to lose torque kinda scares me..
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Flo1989
Love the sound your car now has...highly considering this mod myself, however, the potential to lose torque kinda scares me..
Don't even think about go get it done this week!!! You will not regret it after hearing the sound when you just punch it to the floor, you will make any of the new stock muscle cars sound like there a Toyota Camry ... If you didn't know what car was making this sound and you heard it coming from behind you, you would think it was a Ferrari or Lamborghini with it being tremendously loud!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM

CLS 55, Audi A7, Range Rover Sport
Don't even think about go get it done this week!!! You will not regret it after hearing the sound when you just punch it to the floor, you will make any of the new stock muscle cars sound like there a Toyota Camry ... If you didn't know what car was making this sound and you heard it coming from behind you, you would think it was a Ferrari or Lamborghini with it being tremendously loud!!!
Haha you're really convincing my man. I'm definitely going to look into it. Any more sound clips would be appreciated. If you don't mind me asking you, what did this set up cost you? You can PM me if u prefer..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Flo1989
Haha you're really convincing my man. I'm definitely going to look into it. Any more sound clips would be appreciated. If you don't mind me asking you, what did this set up cost you? You can PM me if u prefer..
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Be...de179.mp4.html

Cold start after resonator delete and secondary cats removal...

I paid 325$ for this set up, its cheaper if you don't get x pipe though..
Next time I am driving past a tunnel I will record the sound it makes.. What I love most about this mod though is that its not some ghetto Honda loud exhaust when even when your at a red light you can here it idling or droning, its nice and quiet like before when stopped or at cruising speeds its not to loud but has a nice aggressive tone to it, but once that pedal touches closer and closer to the floor, the more you'll hear "OMG what is that?!?!?" from the other cars around you, and at highway driving I love when you accelerate because you can now actually hear the exhaust from inside the car , sort of like my old Jeep SRT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP!! CLS55 Resonator Delete/Secondary Cat removal