C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

[CLS55 AMG] Best Route for Max Power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK350 Coupe
[CLS55 AMG] Best Route for Max Power

Ok guys so I got this stock CLS55 AMG MY2006 with 111k miles om the clock.

Today this guy raced me with his A45 AMG and I got impressed by the power this little 2 litre turbocharged engine produces... Ok some of you will say yeah the power/weight ration isnt the same because the CLS weight almost 2 tonnes... I got the point but its still a bloody V8 supercharged!!

So now im looking to increase the power of my car. I ordered Kleemann headers as well as X pipe to replace the resonator (for exhaust note purpose), what are your suggestions for the next step?

Which setup would be the best? Changing Supercharger pulley only? Crank Pulley only? Or Both together?

Has anyone upgraded their injectors as well?

thanks for your help guys!
Old 07-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Get a 77mm sc pulley and a upgraded heat exchanger. Consider split cooling.. then if you still want more speed you need an lsd (limited slip differential) to address traction. With 77mm and headers and cooling upgrades stock injectors will just be enough. If you do throttlebody on top of those two youll need bigger injectors if that makes sense.

Last edited by PieRat; 07-06-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK350 Coupe
Originally Posted by PieRat
Get a 77mm sc pulley and a upgraded heat exchanger. Consider split cooling.. then if you still want more speed you need an lsd (limited slip differential) to address traction. With 77mm and headers and cooling upgrades stock injectors will just be enough. If you do throttlebody on top of those two youll need bigger injectors if that makes sense.
Thanks for you help mate!

What if I get a crank pulley along with 77mm CS pulley? Is it worth it or useless?

also I am getting 1000cc Injectors anyway because Im planning on remapping the ECU so I can fill my car with E85. So If I replace with 1000cc injectors will I need an ECU adjustment straight away or its just plugnplay and I can start the car?

thanks!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Youll need a ecu tune for sure if you put in those injectors. In closed loop the computer will get confused as doubling the fuel input is too far out of its normal parameters and open loop itll be running way too rich.

The stock supercharger doesnt have very efficient intercooler in it. As such stacking pullies isnt a good idea as it just raises the air intake temp resulting in the engine pulling timing. You can consider stacking pullies if you are going to run a water meth kit sd this is the most effective cooling mod. You can do killer chiller instesd of heat exchanger for superior cooling, but this runs off your cars air conditioning. The supercharger efficiency starts to decrease at 77mm so anything over just makes more heat for less boost the further you go.

The supercharger pulley is generally safer and easier to install than crank. That said you get same hp but slightly improved torque gains going to equivalent crank pulley (180) to 77. But messing with the crank is more risky. Oh also if you go over 15 psi you risk overboosting the engine and the ecu causing problems again and as such stacking pullies isnt the best idea.

Last edited by PieRat; 07-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Pick a power goal, Pick a power package, If you need help deciding what and why then give us a call or shoot us an email. vrpspeed.com

http://vrpspeed.com/index.php?route=...ry&path=60_118

There is no need to stack pulleys, we offer 72 and 70mm clutched pulleys which equate to different stacks.