Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Is The Dealer Pulling My Leg? Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 Sport Sedan
Is The Dealer Pulling My Leg? Need Advice.

i got my B service from the dealer the other day. they recommended to replace my front break pads (they say i have less than 30%) and the rotors (they say are below minimum specs). i declined. my car is a an 05' C320 Sports Sedan i bought brand new sept of 2004. i have approx 27k miles on it. i'm not sure if i really do need them done, the break pads i may have changed, but the rotors i'm not sure.

any advice/suggestions will be appreciated? thanks.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With 27k miles on the car, I would recommend getting new pads. Front and possibly rear, depending on how you drive. I usually get new pads every 20k miles. You don't need new rotors; you can have them resurfaced. Typically, you change rotors every other time you change pads.

I would recommend that you find a local shop to get it done. Brake pads are simple, but the dealership will charge you a crap load.

Dealerships usually recommend that you change out the brake pads, since they aren't covered under warranty and they can make a lot money for simple work.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
as far as i know ur rotors are cross drilled, do not resurface them, they might crack.

as for the wear, it all depends on the way u drive.

buy the parts and change them urself, its easy, i do it all the time (we own 3 amgs)
Old 04-22-2006, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
27K sounds reasonable for pad replacement, I don't know about resurfacing though. My fronts on my 99 C 280 Sport were done at around 53K when my sister owned the car and I wore them down to about 30% by 72K.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 PM

2014 E350
Originally Posted by AMG_55
as far as i know ur rotors are cross drilled, do not resurface them, they might crack.

as for the wear, it all depends on the way u drive.

buy the parts and change them urself, its easy, i do it all the time (we own 3 amgs)
You change both pads and rotors yourself? Neat. Can you point me to where I can learn on how to do that for an AMG car? I've done pads before on previous cars, but I'm afraid of hurting my AMG.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Hold on to your wallet,, I was billed $335 for just front pads only. Best of luck. Jim
Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 PM

'04 c230 SS, '06 RR supercharge sport, '06 z4 M Roadster
Anyone know of a reputable shop that does it in either Northern california or Southern California.

I was just quoted 600 dollars for mine.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by lightnng
You change both pads and rotors yourself? Neat. Can you point me to where I can learn on how to do that for an AMG car? I've done pads before on previous cars, but I'm afraid of hurting my AMG.
i dont know a source of where u can learn how to do that, i had a summer job as a mechanic (i love cars) and i learned there, and from experience, (take things apart, put them back together)

i will try to help u out.

take out the pads, i dunno if u have the pins holding them, or another setup, i have the 2 pins (on the top part of the caliper) that need to be knocked out. after u knock the pins out, disconnect the sensors, spread the pads (i use 2 big screwdrivers, make sure u hold the side that u pulled apart already cause if u do the other without holding the one u did it will move bakc toward the rotor) and pull them out. turn the wheel and reach behind the caliper, u will see 2 big bolts, undue them, the caliper will then easily come off (have something ready to place the caliper on b/c the brakelines arent long enough to put it on the floor). then unscrew the bolt at the "hub" (center) of the rotor (1 tiny bolt). try to pull the rotor off, it will most likely not come off, spray some wd40 on the hub and knock the center of the rotor w/ a hammer in a circular motion (all around the rotor, evenly) that should work it loose (sometimes it takes A LOT of hard knocking and feels like it will never come off) . NOW work backwards to put everything back together.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go to a dealership to change out brake pads. If you're in SoCal, there are plenty of aftermarket shops that will do it for you. They use OEM parts.

Walnut/Diamond Bar Area:
The Wheel Supply
909 468 1311

I've had my cross-drilled rotors resurfaced many times. Not a problem. I don't drive hard, however.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by jl88

I've had my cross-drilled rotors resurfaced many times. Not a problem. I don't drive hard, however.
ive had my rotors (cross drilled) on my old 124 e500 resurfaced and they did crack