Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

KW Coilovers vs. Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers - W209 CLk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W209 CLK Renntech Widebody, C140 CL600 V12, AP2 S2000, NSX Twin Turbo, R8 V10
KW Coilovers vs. Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers - W209 CLk

Hi,

I've already done a search on this but didn't come up with much useful information so that's why I am going to ask questions here and hopefully get some better answers. My dilemma is that I have PSS9's on my CLK550 right now but the right rear shock is getting weak and rubs my fender liners in some situations during compression (mainly 90 degree left hand turns or severe bumps at fwy speeds). I talked to Bilstein about rebuilding it but they estimate that it will take a couple of weeks to do this, and since I am not the original purchaser, it will not be covered under their lifetime warranty. I don't mind paying the fee for the rebuild but the downtime is excessive IMO. So, I am thinking I may just buy a set of KW coilovers and sell the Bilstein's after I have them rebuilt.

I know the Bilstein's are fully adjustable for rebound and compression, but I was told by a vendor that KW does not make V3's for the CLK, leaving me with only rebound adjustments possible in the V2s. I verified this on KWs site to be true: http://kw-store.com/products/complete-coilover-kit.html This seemed strange to me, since I thought the Black Series CLK used the V3s as OEM equipment- I have verified that they are adjustable for both rebound/compression and have the external oil reservoir. Are the BS coilovers a clubsport or other custom race-derived application from KW and not the V3s?

The PSS9s are fully adjustable but I have never adjusted them, and maybe never will as I don't plan on tracking this car (have the NSX for that). I daily drive the CLK but enjoy frequent spirited runs on the freeway and around corners, so my driving style is pretty aggressive/enthusiastic and I prefer no body roll and can live with a somewhat harsh ride. I was thinking I could just buy the V1s and be done with it, but I am afraid that KW engineers have set the coilovers to be too soft (I daily drove the NSX for 3 years on the Type R suspension with 1000 lb springs) and may not be to my liking. I do have AMG swaybars, probably from the BS, so that may be enough to keep away the body roll but I doubt it. I think if I am being so picky about suspension, I should maybe just make sure it's adjustable since I plan to only buy one set ... any advice from suspension aficionados? What would you do?

The main reason I am thinking I should get KWs is that if I buy them new, I will have the full lifetime warranty so I won't have to worry about this again. The car barely had 16k miles on it when this problem started, and has only been in southern climates, so that is having me seriously doubt the longevity of the Bilsteins. I am also kind of disappointed with their service so far given the excessive turn around time and refusal to send me just one replacement coilover on exchange. I think that KW makes a more durable product than the Bilstein's bc they are made of stainless steel which is really what it takes to make an enduring coilover IMO. Thoughts on one vs. the other? Previous experience from any owners of PSS9s or KWs (either variant)? The PSS9s are fully adjustable, so that is an advantage, but if owning them is going to be a perpetual headache then I can probably live with not being able to adjust the compression on the KWs since this is my daily.

Thanks for the help, any input appreciated.

Last edited by Nero Tenebre; 12-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Damn, no help? In case someone comes across this thread in their future research, I'll update. I ordered KW V2's from a vendor because apparently the CLK is the only car for which KW doesn't make V3's. From my research, it looks like the V3's went on the CLK black series as OEM equipment and KW made an exclusive agreement with Mercedes so they cannot offer them for sale except through your Mercedes parts dealer. Some modification would probably be required and as you would expect, Mercedes has them marked considerably.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
wow .. .you have really thought this out ...

here's my take

While both are very good products why send extra $$$ on something you have already stated that you do not currently and probably will never use

the stainless steel body of the KW Variant 2 along with it's lower cost seems to be the best way for you to go
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM

I like to do a lot of pre purchase research before committing, limits buyers remorse later! My kw v2s arrived today, hoping to install them soon and see what they are like. Thanks for your input Luke, appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
where did you get them ???
how much ???
pictures?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Pics please
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Any updates?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 AM

I got them from a vendor on another forum. I still haven't opened them up yet so all I have is a pic of the box right now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70274025@N00/6639859881/http://www.flickr.com/photos/70274025@N00/6639859881/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/70274025@N00/, on Flickr

Maybe I'll grab some more pics after install...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Well the KW ended up being a huge mistake. Did not expect the OEM supplier for the CLK black series to have numerous design flaws.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...yone-else.html
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C55
I guess I,m the only guy who had no issues with his KW's I can tuck my front stock C55 wheels with no rubbing or clearence issues and still have over a inch of drop left.You have 2 choices,use front coilover springs from H&R or Bilstein which are 46mm shorter than KW's and will drop ur front way down without needing spacers...heres few pics of my setup shows how much drop I have left,second option is using custom upper strut mounts like I have being mfg whcich allows you to run any length and rate linear spring

Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C55
also I'm selling my front H&R powder coated KW yellow coilover springs the ones in the first pics lmk if interested