Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Unhappy Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D

Over the summer I purchased a 2001 E430 for my wife. The test car I drove had Continental tires on it and it drove well. My car came with Goodyear Eagle F1's and I really dont like them. Not the noise, that's expected with the low profile performance rubber. The problem is that the tires tend to slide sideways when they encounter road irregularities (slightly larger bumps, etc). I have under inflated and over inflated to have some balance. Over inflation seems to work better (it also gives a better stiffer ride which I prefer), however, premature tire wear is what I will be looking at. Does anyone have this problem with these tires? Would MB replace them with something better, or do I just have to ride them 'till it's time for change? I am very familiar with the Potenzas (use them in my other cars) and would like to switch ASAP. Opinions please. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
W205 AMG
I have the same tires on my 2000 E430 4Matic. I also have noticed the same problem that you have encountered. Mercedes probably will not replace the tires especially if they have been used.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Thanks

Thanks Mischief for replying. I am running high pressure on them now and that seems to have resolved the problem a little. I'll replace them with B'Stones or Dunlops when time comes.
On a different subject matter, please check out DrNick's post in the Tech Talk section. he's got a question with vibrations on the 4Matics. I hope you can help him one way or another.