Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Performance Tyres for W210 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Performance Tyres for W210 E55

Because my fellow members are so helpful (see no response to Pirelli Giallo/Rosso post), I spent the evening researching this and other tyre issues on the net and magazines.

There is a common thinking on this board that the Bridgstone S03 is "THE" tyre to get for your E55, based mostly on reviews/advice from Luke at Tire Rack.
Because I cannot get these tyres in sizes that fit in Aust, I had to research for alternatives and in the process came up with very interesting results.
Tire Rack's tests were all carried out on E46 328i BMW. The same independent tests carried out by three other reputable magazines using three different test cars came up with three entirely different results.
Conclusion: what works well on one car doesn't neccesarily work on another. In fact in two of the other tests the S03 rated very poorly overall.
Based on this, I started scouring all the MB forums with no success, most MB owners seem to be interested in noise/comfort not performance.
Moving to BMW boards I struck paydirt. The M5 is the closest to the E55, so looked at reviews from these owners who seemed to be looking for the same as me, ultimate performance. Surprisingly there were other E55 opinions voiced as well!

The choice seems to be between Bridgestone S03, Michelin pilot Sport, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso, Dunlop SP 9000.

A summary of this seemed to be:
Bridgestone S03 - best wet performer but not as good as S02 or Pirelli and Michelin in the dry.
Dunlop SP 9000 - worst wet, worst dry
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso - OK Wet, OK Dry.
Michelin Pilot Sport - Best all rounder.
Pirelli P-Zero Giallo ("yellow label") - Best Dry -better than all, not as good as Rosso in the wet.

Conclusion:
If you are looking for max wet performance - S03
If you are looking for max dry perfomance - P-Zero Asymetrico (not Rosso)
Best all rounder -Pilot Sport

This does not take into account comfort/noise/tire life etc, which are not a priority for me.

Any comments guys??
Old 06-26-2002, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been going to car shows a lot and noticed that many high end cars like BMW's, MB's and porsches etc are using SO3s. Also if you look at the prices for the SO-3's vs others like Michelin Sport, AVS, Rosso i think the SO-3's is the best bang for the buck.