Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Wheel Size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560 sl, 560 sel
Wheel Size

I have a 91 560 SEL, 62k on it. Has standard 15" on it. I want to upgrade to 16, 17, or 18 for performance and appeareance. A MB service shop (not a dealer) just told me that I should not go to 18 inch, as the ride will suffer. He suggested 16", or 17" for the largest. He also said that with the larger wheels, particularly 18", I would be encountering more damage to rims. While I do want to improve handling, I don't want to sacrifce the quality of ride. What are the recommendations and/or reality on this?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:46 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Originally Posted by dave560
Luke,
I live over in Chesterton, and have seen the South Bend warehouse off the toll road. Do you have a showroom there? Any specials there? Do you have installation? If no installation, can I pick up, and save on shipping?

I'm looking at upgrading a 91 560sel; I also sent some car specific questoins on a new forum thread.

Thanks,
Dave
yes, we do have a showroom ...
yes, you can have them installed here in our South Bend facility ...

I had 18's on my 126 and loved them .... but, the ride was firmer but, not overly harsh