Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Use Acid Solution to Clean Wheels ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Use Acid Solution to Clean Wheels ???

I recently bought a set of AMG wheels for my 2004 MB CLK 320. My MB service advisor gave me a bottle of mild acid solution to clean the wheels and that's what they use in the shop. I tried it and it worked amazing well.

Question: Would the acid solution hurt the clear coat or the paint of my wheels?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:15 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
If it doesn't say it's an approved MB product, being an acid, I'd not use it. You only need car wash soap and water to clean the rims, why do you need such a harsh cleaner in the first place?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
I did not use it on my new AMG wheels yet.

I used it on my friend's bimmer. He does not maintain his car much and the wheels had a lot of black spots. Regular soap and water could not take off these spots. The acid solution worked like magic.

I feel the same way but since they used it in the MB shop, maybe it's ok. That's why I asked for more opinions.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
There are other things that are better for the clear coat which may have removed those black spots, perhaps a cleaner wax etc.

I know dealers use this stuff and I'm sure it helps them speed through lots of cars every day...this stuff is just not for me and you shouldn't need it for your new rims ever.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Depends on how "mild". Many cleaners are mildly acidic. Most touchless high pressure car washes use an acid wash and neutral or slightly base rinse.

I'd be concerned about the clear coat turning yelllow or gettig dull. Also, if your polished rims are raw (no clear coat), they won't be for long.

It would be best to rinse this stuff off with a lot of water ASAP when using it.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
What acid(s) does it contain? Citric acid is mild and used on a lot of over the counter cleaners. Hydrocloric acid is harsh and should be neutralized after use - rinsing won't do. Wesley's wheel cleaner contains fluoboric acid, whatever that is. If we know the acid we may be able to better comment on it.