Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

w rating Vs. Y rating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w rating Vs. Y rating

I have pireilli pzero rossos and my tires are Y rated. but i ordered replacement tires and they got me W rating. Does it make a difference if i install the w rating instead of my usual Y rating? is Y better than W? also they got 94 W before i had 91Y. can some explain the difference of that?
thanks for help.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
The answers to your questions and more can be found on this page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG99
The answers to your questions and more can be found on this page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
thx i just looked at that. stilll wonder if Y rating is a stronger tire since w only goes up 168 and y goes to 186. not that im gonna ever go that fast since my car is governed at 135 i think. hehe
just the damn pireilli side walls are sooo damn weak and dont want those damn bubbles on the side. i want to change the brand but my rear tires are pireilli and dont wanna spend money on all 4 tires. so i gotta still with pireillis.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Predator
thx i just looked at that. stilll wonder if Y rating is a stronger tire since w only goes up 168 and y goes to 186. not that im gonna ever go that fast since my car is governed at 135 i think. hehe
just the damn pireilli side walls are sooo damn weak and dont want those damn bubbles on the side. i want to change the brand but my rear tires are pireilli and dont wanna spend money on all 4 tires. so i gotta still with pireillis.
Stronger sidewalls? The load rating would probably have to do with this than the speed rating. Bubbles on the side? It sounds like you had a set of tires.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Predator
take a look at the Kumho ASX's. Tire rack has them and they're pretty cheap and have great reviews. Best of all it's an all season tire should help in NYC.