Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

What Creates A Stiffer Ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
What Creates A Stiffer Ride?

this my be a basic question but i like straightforward answers and have not been able to get one so far. I do not want to lowr my car, but I want a stiffer ride and I want to eliminate roll. Can I get a sport springs and anti-roll bars? Will sport springs lower my car evfen if I do not want the car lowered? How about shocks? Do I have to get new shocks also? Basically.......WHAT IS THE LEAST EXPENSIVRE WAY TO GET A STIFFER RIDE AND ELIMINATE ROLL WITHOUT LOWERING MY CAR?

ted
Old 07-21-2002, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stiffer springs will stiffen the ride and reduce body roll. Anti-sway bars will reduce body roll, but will stiffen the ride only slightly, if at all. A large change in roll stiffness at one end of the car, without a corresponding change in roll stiffness at the other end, will produce undesirable changes in handling. A major change in spring rate usually means a change in shocks. I don't know of any springs which are stiffer, but not shorter. You might have to get some custom wound.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Thank you Lynn,

What do you mean by a change in roll in one end of the car and no change in roll in the other? How can that be accomplished so that I can avoid it. From your reply, am I to assumme that I can achieve increased stiffness and reduced body roll by installing new springs in combination with sway bars, but this will lower my car? Lets say I am willing to live with the lowering, can do this without changing my shocks? Also what springs will offer the best stiffness and the least lowering?

Ted
Old 07-21-2002, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One example of changing the roll stiffness at on end of the car, without changing the other end, is changing the front anti-sway bar with a much bigger one. This was common many years ago. Body lean was reduced, but understeer was increased. At least one person on this forum has had the idea of just changing the front springs to lower the front of the car. If these springs are stiffer, then understeer will be increased. Increasing the roll stiffnes at the rear of the car will result in decreased understeer or increased oversteer.

Changing springs and bars at the same time is probably a good idea. I am not aware of any aftermarket spring which won't lower your car. You will need to contact each manufacturer or retailer for details on how much their springs will lower your car. They should also be able to tell you the spring rates of their springs. The larger the number the stiffer the spring. Springs are rated in puonds per inch in the US system and probably kilograms per centimeter in the metric system.

Whether or not you will need to change your shocks will depend on the length and rate of the spring. Again, spring and shock manufaturers and retailer should be able to help you select the right shocks for the springs.

If you want detailed info about how to do it, pick up a copy of the book How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn. I wonder where my copy went?
Old 07-22-2002, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
THANK YOU
Old 07-22-2002, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Re: What Creates A Stiffer Ride?

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
Can I get a sport springs and anti-roll bars?
What car? E-Class. All MBZ have Anti-roll Bars aka torsion bars. To stiffen you have to add bigger or solid ones. The W210 E320/E420/E430 E-Class has hollow torsion bars.

You may want to consider the E55 suspesion. Shocks, springs, bars and the largest spring pads to compensate for the slight lowering. E55's is only slightly lower. It is not slammed!

Last edited by E55 KEV; 07-22-2002 at 12:13 PM.