Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Question regarding wheel repair...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Question Question regarding wheel repair...

If you've had a bent wheel repaired, is the alloy in that wheel now fatigued and therefore more likely to be bent again? About a year ago, I bought a set of used Brabus wheels that were likely bent (Although it was hard to tell visually), and after a few months my tire went flat due to a crack in the rim. I had said rim repaired by a reputable wheel repair outfit, and everything seemed kosher. Now, unfortunately, it appears that the two wheels (The one I had repaired, and one of the rear wheels) have developed slow leaks.

Braubus wheels are expensive, and as I mentioned in another thread, my gas furnace and water heater just kicked the bucket, so money will be tight for awhile. I may have the wheels "repaired", but I'm thinking that it might be a waste of time and money if they're only going to bend again. Any ideas are appreceiated!

Best regards,
Matt
Old 12-10-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Unhappy Found the answer to my own question...

Curses!! Foiled again!!

Well, it would seem that aluminum alloy weakens after it's been bent, as I found out on Thirsday that both of my front wheels (Including the one that I had straightened recently) are damaged. One is bent, and the other (The one that was repaired), is cracked. I also imagine that the same may be true with my rear wheels as well, but I didn't have them checked.

The wheels were 18" Brabus Style VI (Genuine, not replicas) that I bought used from a member of the board. I highly suspect that they were bent when I bought them, as I was told that the wheels were in terrible shape, and I've been extremely careful with them since I've owned them.

The question now is what to do for a replacement set. If I buy a new set from Brabus, should I expect the new ones to bend and crack as well, or was all of the damage due to a careless previous owner? I'm not too crazy about the fact that these wheels are cast, and not forged. I'd go with another brand, but I had a Brabus K8 front bumper cover installed, and I'd like to match the wheels.

As I remarked in my previous post, this couldn't come at a worse time!!

Best regards,
Matt