Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

How do the refinish wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500E
How do they refinish wheels?

If the wheels are curbed, do they fill and sand the affected area or do they grind away the area?

Also, is it possible to keep the machine finish on the lip (AMG Monoblocks)?

Last edited by fireice; 01-11-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:49 AM
ON PROBATION

The refinisher did a great job on any wheels that I have ever had refinished -- definately a good way to go if the damage is not so great that they can't re-do them, and beats the heck out of forking out the dough for a new wheel. Used to know how they did it - they do use diffferetn equipment depending on what they're repairing. And there are limits (obviously) to what they can repair - but the damage has to be pretty darn severe for them to not be able to do the repair in my experience.... I'd pursue that option if I were you from what you infer that your damage is.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:56 PM

2001 MBZ S430
Many times, when you have curb rash on the lip of a wheel, it is best to smooth out the affected area, blend the surrounding areas as to not show any inconsistency in the cleanliness of the lip, and then either repaint or remachine the lip and clear coat. If you have a substantial chunk taken out of the lip then that area will be welded and smoothed before refinishing.

If you want to post pictures of your damaged wheels in this thread I can give you a much better idea as to the best way to fix them.