Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

SL 500 HRE 540R Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
SL 500 HRE 540R Tire recommendations

I have a set of HRE 540R 19 x 8.5 and 19 x 10 with Pirelli Pzeros. Ive got about 10,000 miles on them and they seem to be losing traction lately even though the tread doesnt look too worn down. I never did really like the grip I got on them in the first place and Im thinking its time to get some newer tires.

What do you guys think about a different set of tires with better grip espectially on corners? I dont think I care much about ride comfort at this point or wear.

Oh yeah, the SL500 is supercharged and has a bit over 500 hp, so thats why I want more traction.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-21-2006, 12:31 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Bump
Old 01-21-2006, 01:37 PM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Originally Posted by prsmith777
I have a set of HRE 540R 19 x 8.5 and 19 x 10 with Pirelli Pzeros. Ive got about 10,000 miles on them and they seem to be losing traction lately even though the tread doesnt look too worn down. I never did really like the grip I got on them in the first place and Im thinking its time to get some newer tires.

What do you guys think about a different set of tires with better grip espectially on corners? I dont think I care much about ride comfort at this point or wear.

Oh yeah, the SL500 is supercharged and has a bit over 500 hp, so thats why I want more traction.

Thanks,
Paul

In my opinion, and expirence, your best choice would be Conti Sport Contact 2. They give an excelent ride, and they are FULLY CAPABLE managing the power. Proffs say there are no better tyre for a Performance street car, and i agree. I have been driving Conti for more than 10 years, and i am fully satisfied, and i DO drop the hammer Frequently. The Conti tires are a little bigger at same number, so you will se that the tires will crawl a little outside your rims.

The Pzeros are no god on an SL with 500 horses, they wear down rapidly, do to mutch wheel spin when dropping the hammer, and they dont provide god grip in rain.