Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tire pressures...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2006 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Tire pressures...

Luke...

I'd like to get the recommended tire pressures for street and drag strip purposes, respectively.

Current Tire Setup:

Front - BFGoodrich T/A KDW-2's (245/40/18)
Rear - BFGoodrich T/A Drag Radials Version 1 (275/35/18)

Thx
Old 05-15-2006 | 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Interesting Set up

I may not be an expert on tire pressure, but I do try from different setting to figure out what is best for my set up with staggered 19's and coilover suspension and all.

Interesting to see you have drag radial on your E55. So assuming your intend is to get best off the line acceleration your might not go higher than 30 psi. However, if you are looking for more of a balanced handling you might want to get the same tires front and back. for 18's I like to set my tire pressure at 35front and 40rear to get a more balanced handling (since Mercedes tends to understeer moderately) and assuming you do not have suspension mods to play around with.

There is really not right answer to optimal tire pressure. It all depends on what you are shooting for. Factory recommanded tire pressure tends to favor ride comfort and safe handling (understeer); simply dial up tire pressure a bit will better handling and lateral response. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2006 | 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by lewisliaw
I may not be an expert on tire pressure, but I do try from different setting to figure out what is best for my set up with staggered 19's and coilover suspension and all.

Interesting to see you have drag radial on your E55. So assuming your intend is to get best off the line acceleration your might not go higher than 30 psi. However, if you are looking for more of a balanced handling you might want to get the same tires front and back. for 18's I like to set my tire pressure at 35front and 40rear to get a more balanced handling (since Mercedes tends to understeer moderately) and assuming you do not have suspension mods to play around with.

There is really not right answer to optimal tire pressure. It all depends on what you are shooting for. Factory recommanded tire pressure tends to favor ride comfort and safe handling (understeer); simply dial up tire pressure a bit will better handling and lateral response. Good luck.

Thanks for the input.

J
Old 05-16-2006 | 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
There most definitely is a "correct" pressure for every car, with or without staggered fitment. It's the pressure that gives even wear across the face of the tread under the conditions you use the car. Generally, higher pressure up front, not lower. As weight increases, so does the necessary tire pressure to support it. If you set your pressures to compensate for the handling "quirks" of your car, you may see either the rears wearing on the edges more than the center (under-inflated), or the fronts going bald in the middle with the edges suffering "feather edging". This is over-inflation wear. Of course, if you like the ride and handling at those settings, tire wear might be secondary for you.