Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Should I upgrade to 20 inch rims? What are the pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Question Should I upgrade to 20 inch rims? What are the pros/cons?

Hello,

I need help guys. Right now, I drive a 2000 S430. I am riding on P 225 / 60R 16 (Original Equipment size). I am in need of new tires, so I thought I might as well look into getting new rims.

I went to tirerack.com (recommended by friends) and found a few rims and tires that I like. The recommended size is 255 / 35R 20. I know that increasing the size of your rims will make your car look nicer, but I heard that doing so may destroy your suspension.

Should I upgrade to 20 inch rims? Or should I settle for 18 inch rims? Or should I stick with the original 16 inch rims?

Any help and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Rishi
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
I purchased a '01 CL600 and it had 20" wheels on it. I took them off and put the original 17" wheels back on. The 20s (20" X 8.5") would rub the inner fender wells when ever I would drive into a dip in the road. I lost a little traction with the change but may go to a wider tire when they wear out. I am very happy with the wheels I have now and like the way they look even though the 20" wheels were a little more interesting to look at.

Ed
Old 05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I went to Tire Rack and got 18" staggered AMG wheels (double-spoke), w/ Goodyear F1 tires and could not be happier. My car actually rides better on the F1's than it did on the OEM Michelins, and I cannot tell you how much better it handles now!! You really should consider going to a bigger wheel/tire combonation. You will wonder how you lived before. I have had many friends ask me if I got a new car, and has changed my whole outlook on the old S. I was really tired of the car and was planning to get a new W221, and now love my car again and have saved about $110,000 in the process.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by desipyar510
Hello,

I need help guys. Right now, I drive a 2000 S430. I am riding on P 225 / 60R 16 (Original Equipment size). I am in need of new tires, so I thought I might as well look into getting new rims.

I went to tirerack.com (recommended by friends) and found a few rims and tires that I like. The recommended size is 255 / 35R 20. I know that increasing the size of your rims will make your car look nicer, but I heard that doing so may destroy your suspension.

Should I upgrade to 20 inch rims? Or should I settle for 18 inch rims? Or should I stick with the original 16 inch rims?
You can do 20" wheels without any issue, however the ride will be different (firmer), also I would not recommend a 255/35-20 all around, its kind of a "average" fitment, not perfect for the S500. (staggered, with wider rear tires would be much better suited to the car, think AMG package).

A great compromise between aesthetics and ride quality is 19".

Originally Posted by sped
I purchased a '01 CL600 and it had 20" wheels on it. I took them off and put the original 17" wheels back on. The 20s (20" X 8.5") would rub the inner fender wells when ever I would drive into a dip in the road. I lost a little traction with the change but may go to a wider tire when they wear out. I am very happy with the wheels I have now and like the way they look even though the 20" wheels were a little more interesting to look at.

Ed

FYI - The rubbing was due to the wheels being the wrong spec (not set up properly for the car), not due to them being 20"

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-08-2006 at 12:27 AM.