Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

luke or Anyone brake caliper question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 S550 4matic
luke or Anyone brake caliper question

I have a 03 s 500 4 matic, my right front caliper is stuck and while driving the right wheel area is getting very hot as well as making a high pitch squeak. I have the ordered the new caliper but appearently they are on backorder so I have to wait to get it repaired. My question is, is it safe to drive like this and am I going to really damage anything major? When the new caliper comes in I will be replacing the front brakes and rotors..
Old 06-17-2006, 08:41 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
if it's bad enough that you are noticing extra heat on the wheel I would not drive it .... can it be freed up at all or is it a froze piston?
Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by BBALLER
I have a 03 s 500 4 matic, my right front caliper is stuck and while driving the right wheel area is getting very hot as well as making a high pitch squeak. I have the ordered the new caliper but appearently they are on backorder so I have to wait to get it repaired. My question is, is it safe to drive like this and am I going to really damage anything major? When the new caliper comes in I will be replacing the front brakes and rotors..
If you keep grinding the rotor it will get thinner than the other side and then you will more or less be replacing the front brakes kit of both sides.

Why not dismantle the brakes on that side and see if the piston is really stuck.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by BBALLER
If you keep grinding the rotor it will get thinner than the other side and then you will more or less be replacing the front brakes kit of both sides.

Why not dismantle the brakes on that side and see if the piston is really stuck.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 S550 4matic
thanks for all the responses I just got the caliper changed and also the pads and rotors, everything seems ok now..